Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

San Diego Creek Trail / Peters Cyn Trail

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 02:41 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

I've got an idea for a ride this upcoming Saturday. I used to do this ride but I would normally just ride Univiersity. Are these two trails (San Diego Creek/Peters Cyn) really ridable from Back Bay all the way to Portola Hwy ?

https://www.strava.com/routes/2728003865379240950
Old 08-10-20, 03:16 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Wife & I ride the Peters Cyn Trail frequently. South from Portola it turns 90 deg. before the RR tracks and exits onto Harvard. Take Harvard south & pick up the S D Creek trail just south of Barranca (corner of William Barber Park). It curves around NW to SE then after you cross the ped. bridge it becomes the "Mountains to the Sea" trail. If you're going S to N reverse the route.
West
Old 08-10-20, 03:31 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Yes, as 2seven0 said. They are also extending Peters Canyon trail from Warner up to a trail just S of the train tracks. You will still have to deviate out to Harvard to cross the tracks, but that's it. Supposed to be open soon from what I see on OC Wheelman facebook posts.

On weekend mornings there are LOTS of riders, pedestrians, joggers, kids, dogs, strollers etc. on the SD Creek trail in Irvine. So be prepared for this.
Old 08-10-20, 06:11 PM
Genaro

Thanks guys for the responses. As for the heavy traffic... I expect to leave Green River at around 5 AM, so that should put me at the end of back bay between 7-8 AM. Hoping to beat the crowds... : )
Old 08-15-20, 06:26 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Peter's Canyon Trail ends at Portola Parkway. If you cross the street to the other side of Portola Parkway, go left for a short time and it will intersect with Jamboree Road. That's the same Jamboree that starts in Newport Beach at Pacific Coast Highway. Take Jamboree up, up, till you reach East Chapman and that's where it becomes Santiago Canyon Road. Turn right on Santiago Canyon Road and you'll be on your way to Cook's Corner.

If that's too far, just turn around at Silverado Canyon Road.
Old 09-09-20, 05:48 PM
Genaro

Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Peter's Canyon Trail ends at Portola Parkway. If you cross the street to the other side of Portola Parkway, go left for a short time and it will intersect with Jamboree Road. That's the same Jamboree that starts in Newport Beach at Pacific Coast Highway. Take Jamboree up, up, till you reach East Chapman and that's where it becomes Santiago Canyon Road. Turn right on Santiago Canyon Road and you'll be on your way to Cook's Corner.

If that's too far, just turn around at Silverado Canyon Road.
I had a mechanical the Saturday that I attempted this ride. I will give it another whirl this Saturday.
Likes For Genaro:
Old 09-09-20, 07:06 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Genaro
I had a mechanical the Saturday that I attempted this ride. I will give it another whirl this Saturday.
hopefully the air quality is improved by then.