Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Crossfit/diet advice

Old 04-17-20, 11:18 AM
bennybenny

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Crossfit/diet advice

Hello,

Got off a cruise in 2019 March, I basically almost ate everything including the boat. At 47 years old, 6'1, I was my heaviest at 220lbs.

I resolved to go to the gym. I spent my time wandering around, feeling intimidated, and not really having a plan. Driving home after another unispiring workout, I pass a Crossfit 'Box' as they are known that I have driven by literally hundreds of times. A group of middle age, fit looking people were outside busting their tails and doing all sort of cool looking workouts. So yes I joined, but I do not drink the Crossfit Koolaide as their community is known to do.

First thing, owner privately did a body composition analysis using some machine: 220lbs, 30% fat (ouch, technically obese), and other measurements like hydration, muscle mass, and viceral fat (fat around your organs, really bad fat). Scheduled another reading in 1 month later, repeat.

Many members ate 'Paleo,' which basically is natural food, lots of protein, veggies, some fruit, avoid processed food and sugar. I tried this 75% of the time, and the results amazed me: in a few months, dropped to 180lbs, 18% body fat, and good numbers in other categories.

Crossfit, I realize is trendy, but it taught me how to lift weights, and they also did a heavy emphasis on core and legs, in new ways that I would have never done on my own.

Crossfit isn't for everyone, and I realize that it is trendy and there are some injury risks. But I take it easy, don't get too into it, and love how every class is different, hard, and you work with a group of nice, encouraging people. It can be expensive, but I save money by not running to Jimmy Johns type places for lunch daily, plus you get a lot of one on one coaching every class.

This has helped my cycling a lot, being lighter and stronger legs/core, that I am fading away from Crossfit (sort of have as its closed now, ha), and more into cycling.

So long story short: building muscle is a great long term weight loss strategy, and man: NUTRITION IS EVERYTHING!!! Diets don't work as they have an 'end.'

On Sunday night, I bake a **** load of chicken, boil some eggs, cut up veggies, and store them in fridge. I eat this way (never hungry) Monday through Friday, and then eat whatever on weekends. If you are struggling, find a nutrition plan that works for you long term, stick to it, and MAN those cheat/weekend meals taste really really good.

Have a great biking year!

Benny
Likes For bennybenny:
Old 04-20-20, 03:09 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
If CrossFit is a means to an end (better bicycling and health), great!

personally I used to be a big weightlifter and found it to be conflicting with better bike riding. I decided I liked biking more than lifting big weights in the gym basically. Nowadays I do pretty mild weights.
Old 04-21-20, 09:38 AM
bennybenny

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree, lifting can be detrimental to biking, and in my opinion, boring. The Crossfit I've taken sort of leans you out, not bulks you up, and hit areas like legs and core that I never really hit.

I still think sustainable, long term nutrition is the key to weight loss, biking, crossfit, running, etc helps, but man nutrition has to be 80-90% of it.
Take care.

Benny
Old 04-21-20, 06:41 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by bennybenny
I agree, lifting can be detrimental to biking, and in my opinion, boring. The Crossfit I've taken sort of leans you out, not bulks you up, and hit areas like legs and core that I never really hit.

I still think sustainable, long term nutrition is the key to weight loss, biking, crossfit, running, etc helps, but man nutrition has to be 80-90% of it.
Take care.

Benny
I wouldn't say that lifting is detrimental to biking. Lifting with a focus on muscle strength and gain definitely doesn't go well with cycling unless you're a track sprinter. But lifting for maintenance and wellness is definitely good for you and can work well with cycling which is a low impact sport.

100% nutrition is key. Far too much emphasis can be put on physical activity to burn off the calories. What a lot of people don't understand is that the energy consumed in doing physical activity is actually only a small part of your daily energy consumption, even if you are a very active individual. The vast majority of the calories that you take in are used to just keep you alive and your body functioning.
Old 04-22-20, 10:38 AM
bennybenny

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And I quit drinking alcohol. I like drinking as much as the next guy, no change that, I like drinking MORE than the next guy, so I quit, and body started to deflate. Took a couple of weeks, but man, it was llike letting the air out of a kid's pool raft. Alcohol harms the weight loss/muscle building process in so many more ways than simply empty calories. Later.

Benny
Likes For bennybenny: