Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 11:22 PM
btppberk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yah, mesa grande is a chill road for sure. woulda done the harder, northern climb and back down today if i had more energy but i didn't and was happy with my ride as it was.

wind was perfect today north of santa ysabel to palomar. from julian south to campo, it was a bit much today.

rattlesnakes cannot strike/bite you unless they are curled up. in socal, they will generally hibernate from late november to late february. this time of year, they will be out early and late.
i'd be more worried about them if i were riding gravel/mtb bike. riding road, unless you're riding on the very rightmost edge of the road, i wouldn't worry about them. roads heat up pretty quick
during the warmer months and the area right next to the paved road will likely be too inhospitable for rattlesnakes from 9:30am-6pm. back in the day when i hiked vs cycling for exercise,
i can't tell you how many times i walked directly over a rattlesnake warming itself on the trail in the morning. looks just like a stick.

and yah, it was a tarantula. they keep early and late hours as well. fyi...the local variety can jump three feet to subdue prey. for humans tho, they're relatively harmless.
Good to know about the rattlers. I'm guessing that even if you are riding right, as long as you are moving with some momentum, they are unlikely to successfully strike you. It's such a quick surprise for you both.
Old 08-06-20, 11:29 PM
btppberk

looks like the next 5 days or so along the 79 corridor are doable if you can be bothered to wake up early. temps and winds are both lowish before noontime
from descanso to palomar mtn. if you decide to ride on sat or sun and start from descanso/8 fwy, i would recommend heading north towards julian via the
s1/sunrise highway through the laguna mtns vs cuyamaca rancho state park. the cuyamaca stretch carries 4x the traffic. do the cuyamaca stretch on the 79
heading from north to south as it's nearly all downhill and a blast with good pavement.
Unfortunately work will make that next to impossible. Back to mission bay and torrey pines for a week. It could be worse!
Old 08-08-20, 06:03 PM
KDR

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
What did you do for a bike? Where are you staying?
Old 08-10-20, 11:47 PM
btppberk

I really loved Mesa Grande, Ooga-Booga, and can't wait to go back. Have you tried Black Canyon Road by any chance? I'm curious if its doable on a road bike or if it would be a big mistake.The pictures I saw online looked like pretty firm packed dirt.
Old 08-10-20, 11:47 PM
btppberk

Originally Posted by KDR
What did you do for a bike? Where are you staying?
The bike is out of the shop... with new problems that they introduced. Sigh.
Old 08-11-20, 01:16 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by btppberk
I really loved Mesa Grande, Ooga-Booga, and can't wait to go back. Have you tried Black Canyon Road by any chance? I'm curious if its doable on a road bike or if it would be a big mistake.The pictures I saw online looked like pretty firm packed dirt.
i tried it a few years ago coming from ramona, hoping to ride it all the way to mesa grande and make a loop ride out of it
by taking the 78 and old julian rd. back to the start. 35-40 miles or so. hit the dirt part and got about a mile in.
was riding the road bike with '23's-as always cause i'm dumb like that-and encountered some "soup."
dismounted and walked for a spell and repeated that scenario about 4x in a half-mile stretch before i lost patience, turned around
and modified the ride. in retrospect, i probably shoulda kept going since i ended up doing something much dumber.

https://www.strava.com/activities/278727909

i'd still like to do it at some point but i'd want at least '28's to ride it. have three newer (to me) road bikes...two of which just might be able
to fit '28's. one bike i have can rock a '28 up front but largest is a '25 in back. been waiting for an absolutely bleepy weather day to play
tire swap boy to see what fits but it hasn't happened lately.

pretty sure the belgian waffle ride has utilized that road /portions of at some point along with other dirt/gravel in the area. you may want to try
googling belgian waffle ride for past routes and testimonials to give you an idea of what road bikes with different tire sizes can tolerate and on
what dirt roads.

it could have also been my dumb luck. it was spring...the roads were dry tho. maybe too dry. in my experience locally, there are some dirt roads
i'll hit once-4x a year. sometimes i can make it through on my '23's without stopping. sometimes one dismount. sometimes multiple dismounts.
none of those roads are longer than 5 miles tho. if i remember correctly, the dirt part of black canyon is about 10 miles. that could potentially
be a lot of walking.
Old 08-11-20, 01:27 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

it's even better in spring when it's green.

i'd also recommend nearby wynola rd and farmer rd up the hill closer to julian. if you park in that large gravel lot just north of the julian pie co/don's market complex in santa ysabel
at the 78/79 junction, you can tackle both mesa grande and the wynola/farmer loop. it is about 40 miles and a little over 4,000 el gain. you've got support in santa ysabel, wynola and julian.
Old 08-11-20, 12:25 PM
btppberk

i'd also recommend nearby wynola rd and farmer rd up the hill closer to julian. if you park in that large gravel lot just north of the julian pie co/don's market complex in santa ysabel
at the 78/79 junction, you can tackle both mesa grande and the wynola/farmer loop. it is about 40 miles and a little over 4,000 el gain. you've got support in santa ysabel, wynola and julian.
Unfortunately, I can't fit more than 25s on mine.

I parked in that gravel lot when I did Mesa Grande, but there were signs all over the place saying customer parking only, so I parked on the street.

I am impressed by how much cycling you do with relatively old bikes. Every time I feel the urge to get a new bike I look at your list of bikes and how much cycling you do and fight the urge.
Old 08-11-20, 12:26 PM
btppberk

p.s. how good is the gravel riding in San Diego? When I looked online, it didn't seem that impressive: mostly some connectors bridging parts of standard routes. I would have thought East County would be great.
Old 08-11-20, 12:39 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Unfortunately, I can't fit more than 25s on mine.

I parked in that gravel lot when I did Mesa Grande, but there were signs all over the place saying customer parking only, so I parked on the street.

I am impressed by how much cycling you do with relatively old bikes. Every time I feel the urge to get a new bike I look at your list of bikes and how much cycling you do and fight the urge.
have never seen the signs for that lot. maybe i've just missed them (i'm usually very cognizant of those kinda things tho...not looking to get towed/blocked in/etc postride). maybe the signs are new.

i love the'80's-early 00's frames. the newer stuff just seems like (superlightweight) toys to me. lucked into that 2011 trek with about 500 miles on it so like new. i only specifically ride it on the all-day,
epic mountain rides because it is lighter and i feel a little less beat up. it's more of a tool to me. prefer to rock the vintage steel or vintage carbon on flatter centuries, bopping around town or the daily whatever
because those bikes just speak to me.
Old 08-12-20, 12:22 AM
btppberk

have never seen the signs for that lot. maybe i've just missed them (i'm usually very cognizant of those kinda things tho...not looking to get towed/blocked in/etc postride). maybe the signs are new.

i love the'80's-early 00's frames. the newer stuff just seems like (superlightweight) toys to me. lucked into that 2011 trek with about 500 miles on it so like new. i only specifically ride it on the all-day,
epic mountain rides because it is lighter and i feel a little less beat up. it's more of a tool to me. prefer to rock the vintage steel or vintage carbon on flatter centuries, bopping around town or the daily whatever
because those bikes just speak to me.
Well, maybe "lots of signs" is an overstatement, but there are several in the paved parking lot and at least one at the entrance to the gravel lot. It was enough to warn me away, even though the place was pretty deserted.

I know what you mean about the superlightweight toy feel. But then again, I look at my 8 year old carbon bike and it looks almost brand new!
Old 08-12-20, 12:31 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Well, maybe "lots of signs" is an overstatement, but there are several in the paved parking lot and at least one at the entrance to the gravel lot. It was enough to warn me away, even though the place was pretty deserted.

I know what you mean about the superlightweight toy feel. But then again, I look at my 8 year old carbon bike and it looks almost brand new!
the gravel lot is huge. have parked there without incident probably 5x in the last 2 years. will reevaluate next trip up there.
Old 08-12-20, 01:01 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

p.s. how good is the gravel riding in San Diego? When I looked online, it didn't seem that impressive: mostly some connectors bridging parts of standard routes. I would have thought East County would be great.
try this site:

Gravelstoke ? Home

also:

https://theradavist.com/

east county, the mtns and the desert should keep you busy. those along with the paved roads. i've got a little challenge for you...mostly paved with 7-8 dirt miles if you're game.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2314192584

Last edited by diphthong; 08-12-20 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 10:56 AM
btppberk

try this site:

east county, the mtns and the desert should keep you busy. those along with the paved roads. i've got a little challenge for you...mostly paved with 7-8 dirt miles if you're game.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2314192584
Looks great. But is it doable with 23C? (I've got 25 but my riding partner has 23)

I am curious about getting a gravel bike, but as you say, I've got enough to keep me busy on the road this year.
Old 08-12-20, 02:09 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

i did the boulder creek/ca hwy 79 loop clockwise which is how i recommend doing it. did it on '23's as always.
i think i only had to dismount to cross boulder creek and to climb a loose, steep hill for about 150 yards, otherwise,
stayed clipped in the whole time. you will want to take the descent down to boulder creek fairly slowly.
it's rideable but a little bumpy in spots. depending on your riding partner's tolerance for dirt on '23's, they will either be
challenged and exhilarated or grumpy and ready to wring your neck. do not take a “racing” wheelset or the pricey tires.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-12-20 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-13-20, 12:22 AM
btppberk

thanks as always for the great info!

I think he would/will ring my neck.