Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for vintage MTB

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Looking for vintage MTB

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-20, 12:09 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Looking for vintage MTB

So I’m hoping to find a vintage MTB with XTR drivetrain. I’d like to find something that is still considered to be an excellent ride. It seems many full suspension designs were just odd - thinking some Cannondales, Ibis, Trek Y frames. There are some Moots, Yeti, etc. I’ve found, but they’re also quite expensive still.

So what 90s MTB would still be considered a great rider?
Old 08-23-20, 12:20 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
There are a reason those old sus designs were retired.
Likes For Leebo:
Old 08-23-20, 02:52 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Hate to send you somewhere else, but go to mtbr and post on the Vintage, Retro, and Classic subforum and ask there.

I built a couple of 90’s hardtails 6-7 years ago. You basically have 2 options, buy a complete bike or buy a frame and build it. I chose the latter, but parts have become increasingly more difficult to find, and a lot more expensive, these days.

Good luck!

John
Old 08-23-20, 03:07 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Hate to send you somewhere else, but go to mtbr and post on the Vintage, Retro, and Classic subforum and ask there.

I built a couple of 90’s hardtails 6-7 years ago. You basically have 2 options, buy a complete bike or buy a frame and build it. I chose the latter, but parts have become increasingly more difficult to find, and a lot more expensive, these days.

Good luck!

John
Thanks - will do. I just missed out on a very clean Wojcik last week. Something like that would be great. Plenty of Specialized FSRs out there as well. Something will pop up.
Old 08-23-20, 03:22 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Schwinn homegrowns were good bikes
Old 08-23-20, 08:44 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I would highly recommend bikes from '97 onward, because XTR V brakes work insainly well/ significantly better than cantilever brakes.
Likes For headwind15:
Old 08-25-20, 12:20 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
I would highly recommend bikes from '97 onward, because XTR V brakes work insainly well/ significantly better than cantilever brakes.
I concur though I have an ‘84 Univega Alpina Uno that is a freak and with 6sp indexed Suntour XC Sport 7000.

I have in my shop one of the 97ish Specialized Ground Control full suspension oddballs.

Old 08-26-20, 10:16 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Probably not with XTR, but my early 90's or so Diamondback Axis steel bike, built from frame up, rides great. Had it as a SS with magic ratio, geared and now electrified.
Old 08-26-20, 06:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Up til the early 2000's, Specialized bikes with FSR. There are others, but those, you can find easily enough. They are four link systems that use the placement of the linkage pivots vs. the moments from the crank and brake to cancel out the bob and brake jack. The Horst link bikes like FSR are the root of one of the two major four-link families, where the floating link is the chain stays. The other early ones either didn't have this figured out, or wished to avoid the complexity, or wished to avoid fighting or licensing the patents. After that, from mid 2000's on, lots of people had figured out ways around the patents (like the exact location of the pivots or how the shock is driven), and from the late 2000's everyone can know anything thanks to the Linkage program.

The other, slightly younger family is two short links to the frame and the floating link is a big swingarm assembly, like VPP, DW-link, Maestro etc.

The latest beneficial ingredient has been 1x systems which allow the design to be optimized for anti squat around a single chain ring size and it's not bonkers wrong in very high or low gears.
Genesis 49:16-17