Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Let’s be careful out there . . .

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-26-20, 01:01 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts

Went for a ride yesterday - a 32-mile mixed gravel/road jaunt that is one if my favorites. I checked the wind before I went, then set out. Figured it would be a decent ride - into the wind on the way out, with the wind on the return. I felt pretty good on the way out, but started feeling the effort on the way back. I got to a park with about five miles left in the ride, and I had to stop because I was feeling physically sapped and slightly dizzy. I sat for about 30 minutes and decided to ride home (should have called my wife to come and get me). The last five miles took me almost an hour - barely hit 8mph. When I got home, I crashed while trying to recover from the ride (usually takes me about 10 minutes on a normal ride). Five hours later, I was still feeling the effects of the ride. After eating and getting some sleep, I finally feel I’m back to normal - a day later. My wife said the Heat Index was 99 when I got home! High temp and high humidity damn near did me in! Lesson learned - check ALL the conditions before setting out on a ride!

So, again, let’s be careful out there!
Old 08-26-20, 01:06 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
I checked the radar 30 minutes before a ride today. 1/2 miles into the ride it started to rain. 1 miles in it started to rumble. Halfway into the ride it begun to downpour. On the way back it stopped all the wetness & boomers. Sun was just coming up at the end too. Was worth the effort though.
Old 08-26-20, 01:27 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I checked the wind before I went, then set out. Figured it would be a decent ride - into the wind on the way out, with the wind on the return.
I do that too when I ride after work. Trouble is, I think many times the wind shifts as we get close to sunset. I don't like to ride home against the wind but it seems it happens even when I plan for it not to happen.

I might ride this evening; its crazy hot but probably too windy for my liking. Hot wind is no better than a hot day with no wind.
Old 08-26-20, 01:45 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Went for a ride yesterday - a 32-mile mixed gravel/road jaunt that is one if my favorites. I checked the wind before I went, then set out. Figured it would be a decent ride - into the wind on the way out, with the wind on the return. I felt pretty good on the way out, but started feeling the effort on the way back. I got to a park with about five miles left in the ride, and I had to stop because I was feeling physically sapped and slightly dizzy. I sat for about 30 minutes and decided to ride home (should have called my wife to come and get me). The last five miles took me almost an hour - barely hit 8mph. When I got home, I crashed while trying to recover from the ride (usually takes me about 10 minutes on a normal ride). Five hours later, I was still feeling the effects of the ride. After eating and getting some sleep, I finally feel I’m back to normal - a day later. My wife said the Heat Index was 99 when I got home! High temp and high humidity damn near did me in! Lesson learned - check ALL the conditions before setting out on a ride!

Sounds like my ride at the start of last month, my worst mistake was making a on-ride change to route. I was expecting a river trail to be passable, but after committing too much time and energy, I had to turn around because of flooding. I got back on the original route as was so drained the miles home were miserable/slow. I got home took a quick shower and fell asleep ... not typical for me (heat exhaustion). Temps were around 90F and heat index around 100F (Likely higher on the river trail without any wind). I trained in the heat and could have dealt with it if I'd avoided dragging my bike through a couple miles of over grown trails.

Yes be careful out there in the heat, it's not messing around!
Old 08-26-20, 01:46 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I do that too when I ride after work. Trouble is, I think many times the wind shifts as we get close to sunset. I don't like to ride home against the wind but it seems it happens even when I plan for it not to happen.

I might ride this evening; its crazy hot but probably too windy for my liking. Hot wind is no better than a hot day with no wind.
Hot wind = a dry fart without the stench.
Old 08-26-20, 01:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts

Sounds like heat exhaustion. Or maybe bonking? Or both.

A couple times that's hit me, generally early season when I'm not acclimated to heat. Lightheaded, weak, mildly nauseated. Best to call for a ride.

Did you eat anything before you rode, though? The one time I bonked thoroughly, it was about 2 miles from home in the pre-cell phone days. I felt weak, like barely able to keep going. My brain didn't seem to be working properly. Exhausted. I got home and 95% of me just wanted sleep. But a little voice said, "Eat." I ate a candy bar and felt normal in 10 minutes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-26-20, 03:06 PM
ddeand 

I’m pretty sure I had heat exhaustion. At the halfway mark, I ate a couple granola bars and drank some water. For a day like that, though, I think I would have needed two bottles of water - one with an electrolyte supplement added. I’m 72 and should know better!
Old 08-26-20, 06:52 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Hot wind = a dry fart without the stench.
Not around here, with the CAFOs spreading their manure on the fields. We get the full effect. "Come to Wisconsin and smell our 'dairy air,'" as they say.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-26-20, 10:56 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
My doctor told me that as we get older it is easier to get heat exhaustion because we have diminished feeligs that we are thirsty as we did when we were younger. Stay hydrated my friends.
Old 08-27-20, 07:19 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
Living in Cambodia, I alway take some water, sometimes get a coconut for the juice. once in a while I get some sugarcane juice with lime mixed in with the coconut juice.

It is always hotter than the mid 70s and up to 100 often. I have to watch my water intake along with my food intake, too much water without food will make me sick.
Old 08-27-20, 08:25 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Just glad your alright. Me being 60 your my hero

Old 08-27-20, 08:44 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Sounds like heat exhaustion. Or maybe bonking? Or both.
Or dehydration. Or over-reaching. Or lack of electrolytes. Or all of the above.
Old 08-27-20, 08:50 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

I’m pretty sure I had heat exhaustion. At the halfway mark, I ate a couple granola bars and drank some water. For a day like that, though, I think I would have needed two bottles of water - one with an electrolyte supplement added. I’m 72 and should know better!
Eating a complex carb like a granola bar with only 15 miles to go means you probably didn't actually start digesting and absorbing it until after you got home. Try GU or Powerbar gels, because they're liquefied simple carbs, and the time to digest and absorb the energy is much less. Or add a sugary pack to your water. On the other hand, it IS recommended to ALSO consume complex carbs when you still have 2+ hrs of riding to go.

Here's the complex and simple "bike" carbs I ate for a 24 hr ride I did (326 miles) a couple years ago. Not shown are the multiple PB&J sandwiches, Italian sub, bananas, and beef jerky.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-27-20 at 09:19 AM.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 08-27-20, 09:16 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Chug water beforehand. On long mt bike rides I drink 80-100 oz of cold water from the camelbak, plus a bottle of gatorade plus always have some snacks. I've been there, heatstroke is brutal.
Old 08-27-20, 09:34 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Eating a complex carb like a granola bar with only 15 miles to go means you probably didn't actually start digesting and absorbing it until after you got home. Try GU or Powerbar gels, because they're liquefied simple carbs, and the time to digest and absorb the energy is much less. Or add a sugary pack to your water. On the other hand, it IS recommended to ALSO consume complex carbs when you still have 2+ hrs of riding to go.

Here's the complex and simple "bike" carbs I ate for a 24 hr ride I did (326 miles) a couple years ago. Not shown are the multiple PB&J sandwiches, Italian sub, bananas, and beef jerky.
So what I see is Reese's is your secret weapon...I knew it!

Old 08-27-20, 09:38 AM
Riveting

Originally Posted by hillyman
So what I see is Reese's is your secret weapon...I knew it!
Heck yeah! Reese's are my favorite pick me up, just don't store them in your jersey pockets.
Old 08-27-20, 02:42 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Riveting
Heck yeah! Reese's are my favorite pick me up, just don't store them in your jersey pockets.
it'll become just a reese's piece.
Old 08-27-20, 03:14 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Figured it would be a decent ride - into the wind on the way out, with the wind on the return.
This is often when I feel the hottest, riding at the same speed as the wind. If it's a 12 MPH breeze, and I'm riding about 12 MPH, it feels like there's absolutely no wind moving around you except for maybe a few eddy currents around you. For the most part, there's not enough wind to evaporate your sweat and you start feeling the humidity, and no matter how hard you sweat you still feel hot. I wonder if this might have been your case on that day.
Old 08-27-20, 03:20 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
it'll become just a reese's piece.
Or a Reese's blob.
Old 08-27-20, 03:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
The times I've had what I later figured was mild heat exhaustion weren't associated with dehydration or low blood sugar. One was just a hot day, and it felt like I wasn't getting rid of the heat. I'd drained 2 bottles of sports drink on the ride. What actually helped was dumping water over my head and back.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-27-20, 03:26 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Or a Reese's blob.
Reeces Gu
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 08-28-20, 09:12 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I've been riding in triple digit heat index after work. I try to take it slower, drink lots of water, pour water on top of head often and take more breaks than usual.
Old 08-28-20, 09:22 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts

Hrmmm...
You wouldn’t happen to hand wash your cycling clothing, would you?
Old 08-28-20, 10:47 AM
ddeand 

Thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 08-29-20, 03:38 AM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Even on my weekend long rides starting at 5-6am, it is still 80+ degrees with 70-80% humidity here. Granted I am significantly younger (see only 36) than you, but I always put either 4-6oz of pedialyte and the rest water, or gatorade in my bottles. I have some hydration packs I ma going to try tomorrow to see how it works in this heat since it has rained for the past three days now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.