Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

'Narrow' 10t jockey wheels on 90s Deore LX derailleur

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 01:55 AM
Roundis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a Shimano Deore LX (SIS 8) derailleur with a 7 speed wheel. Recently a jockey wheel came off and I wasn't able to retrieve its washers or inner metal cylinder (they're in the long grass somewhere). Both the jockey wheels are stamped NARROW. I measured the thicknesses of the wheels without washers or inner barrel and the CENTRE ON G wheel is 6.3mm and the other is 6.8mm as opposed to some new Shimano spares I have which are 9.1mm wide. I can't find any 'narrow' jockey wheels online. Will wider ones do the job or will I run into problems?

Last edited by Roundis; 09-08-20 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-08-20, 02:46 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Roundis
I have a Shimano Deore LX (SIS 8) derailleur with a 7 speed wheel. Recently a jockey wheel came off and I wasn't able to retrieve its washers or inner metal cylinder (they're in the long grass somewhere). Both the jockey wheels are stamped NARROW. I measured the thicknesses of the wheels without washers or inner barrel and the CENTRE ON G wheel is 6.3mm and the other is 6.8mm as opposed to some new Shimano spares I have which are 9.1mm wide. I can't find any online 'narrow' jockey wheels online. Will wider ones do the job or will I run into problems?
Only issue I can think of is the bolts may be too short. You'll also likely need to adjust the gears to reflect the different centreline of the new jockey wheels. Rather than Shimano, why not get some Tacx ones with cartridge bearings, they come with a bunch of adapters and then you know the bolts will be OK.
Old 09-08-20, 03:17 AM
Roundis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, the bolts I have are too short. I'll look into Tacx, thanks. I wouldn't be bothered about using a different brand. Also, will I get away with using one with more teeth, eg 11 rather than 10?

Last edited by Roundis; 09-08-20 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-09-20, 09:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
If it is the lower pulley...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Der...gAAOSwEOhfVRiR

If it is the upper Centeron pulley, it won't work.

John
Old 09-11-20, 05:55 AM
Roundis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You mean changing the number of teeth won't work or using the wider jockey wheels won't work?

I have bought some longer bolts so I was planning to try the wider jockey wheels this weekend, I'll report back.

Thanks for the ebay link, that looks to be exactly what I have. I'm in the UK though, I haven't found any jockey wheels with the NARROW stamp on them available over here so far.

Last edited by Roundis; 09-11-20 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-16-20, 01:14 AM
Roundis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got hold of the longer bolts so I was able to fit the wider jockey wheels. After giving the gear cables a quick adjustment, everything works perfectly as far as I can tell.
Old 09-16-20, 11:18 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Good job!

John
Old 05-29-21, 03:56 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Roundis
I have a Shimano Deore LX (SIS 8) derailleur with a 7 speed wheel. Recently a jockey wheel came off and I wasn't able to retrieve its washers or inner metal cylinder (they're in the long grass somewhere). Both the jockey wheels are stamped NARROW. I measured the thicknesses of the wheels without washers or inner barrel and the CENTRE ON G wheel is 6.3mm and the other is 6.8mm as opposed to some new Shimano spares I have which are 9.1mm wide. I can't find any 'narrow' jockey wheels online. Will wider ones do the job or will I run into problems?
Ran into similar problem yesterday, replacing pulley wheels on rd-1056. The only spare wheels I had were standard Shimano 10T. Luckily I had a RD-6400 knocking about, so I was able to canibalise bolts from that and get the bicycle back on the road. Everything works perfectly OK, shifting throughout 7 speeds back and forth is smooth as butter. But now I'm looking for the narrow ones anyway, I'd rather move the derailleur cage away from the wheel by these 3mm. There is plenty of clearance, but I would feel slightly better to have the original width. Also, need to put that rd-6400 back together. Any suggestion for thinner 10T jockey wheels model? Doesn't have to be Shimano...
Old 06-01-21, 05:07 AM
Roundis

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I never found any (at a sensible price). But using the wider ones has worked out fine for me.
Old 06-06-21, 04:04 AM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 252 Posts
I found a set of narrow Shimano pulley wheels at Saint John's Cycles, with one marked as centeron and both having "narrow" etched onto them. They are, however, 11t. They do work, but shifting to the lowest gear became difficult and whilst before shifting throughout the whole range was absolutely perfect and smooth, that somehow wasn't that easy to achieve with 11t pulley wheels. So gave up and just went back with the previous 10t.