Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 04:21 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Looking for advice

Thanks in advance....
I've been a road bike person for the last couple of decades but have decided to delve into the world of trail riding. I was thinking that I would try to find something used and save a few $ but I've decided to buy new instead and have the benefit of warranty work if needed (last year I bought a new Giant road bike and needed a shifter replaced withing months of owning the bike). So, I'm looking for advice on an entry level bike (less than $750 is desired). I don't anticipate riding serious mountain bike terrain. I'm thinking I'd be riding trails in the woods looking for some exercise and adventure as opposed to crashing down treacherous single tracks,staring death in the face at every turn. I have an aversion to crashing and the associated pain. So, do you have any words of wisdom regarding this upcoming purchase?
Old 09-08-20, 06:24 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
At the price point you are looking at, you are shopping for a hard tail. They are all about the same at the entry level price point. Around here the first thing needed is some sealant (slime, stans, or orange)in the tubes if the wheels are not tubeless ready. A friend at work just got a Trek Marlin 6. It looks good and seems like a solid build. I thought 8 speed was obsolete by now (my 1998 Specialized Rockhopper was 8 speed), but it works fine.
Old 09-14-20, 07:39 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Ride with a small group for tips and get a lesson if they are offered by you.
Then just ride within your limits if you're risk adverse. Nothing wrong with that, crashing is part of the game on trails. But I'd rather hit a tree any day than a car.
Old 09-25-20, 12:28 PM
Ivan3737

Bikes: Norco Rampage 2007

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Ride with a small group for tips and get a lesson if they are offered by you.
Then just ride within your limits if you're risk adverse. Nothing wrong with that, crashing is part of the game on trails. But I'd rather hit a tree any day than a car.
yes
Old 10-21-20, 05:55 AM
Capricorn2
Banned.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
At the price point you are looking at, you are shopping for a hard tail. They are all about the same at the entry level price point. Around here the first thing needed is some sealant (slime, stans, or orange)in the tubes if the wheels are not tubeless ready. A friend at work just got a Trek Marlin 6. It looks good and seems like a solid build. I thought 8 speed was obsolete by now (my 1998 Specialized Rockhopper was 8 speed), but it works fine.
Thanks for the advice!