Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mid 80's Peugeot PB18. Better braking?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-08-20, 12:40 PM
black02em2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yesterday I picked up a mid 80's Peugeot PB18 that is all original and in great condition. The owner had it sitting in the garage unused for many years.

Current brakes are Weinmann non-aero levers paired with Weinmann 605 calipers. The braking system seems to be very stiff and uncomfortable so i'm thinking of replacing the levers with Shimano 105 aero levers.
  1. Will I run into any compatibility issues pairing the Shimano aero levers with the Weinmann 605 calipers?
  2. Will I see see improved braking?
  3. Should I replace the calipers as well?
The bike will be getting new cables/housings for gears and brakes, new tires/tubes/tape, possibly new levers and all bearings repacked with grease. I just want everyone's thought before I start disassembling it.

Thanks!

Last edited by black02em2; 09-08-20 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 01:29 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Overhauling the brakeset, replacing the cables and housing, adding kool-stop brake pads, placing the levers on the bars at a comfortable position, and truing the wheels will likely correct the issue.

But some folks just don't like non-aero levers, and aero levers are an "upgrade" for them.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-08-20, 01:31 PM
black02em2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Overhauling the brakeset, replacing the cables and housing, adding kool-stop brake pads, and truing the wheels will likely correct the issue.
I added pictures I original post.

Appreciate the advice. I've got the cables/housings but i'll have to look into new pads.

I maybe disassemble the calipers to polish them up, that may help.

In terms of the aero levers for a cleaner look, do you think i'd have any issues with the compatibility?

Last edited by black02em2; 09-08-20 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 01:39 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by black02em2
In terms of the aero levers for a cleaner look, do you think i'd have any issues with the compatibility?
Non-aeros can provide a clean look given cable length is minimal. So often, folks run way too much cable between lever and caliper.

Besides esthetics, the only issue I've seen between an "upgraded" lever (to aero) and an old caliper brake concerns the location of the cable anchor on the brake. If it is the old '70s style on the non drive-side (nds) of the front caliper, it can be difficult to run the left aero lever to that position and maintain the caliper's center over the rim. This can be remedied easily by switching the front brake to the right lever. If the front caliper cable entry is on the ds, there is no issue.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-08-20, 01:42 PM
black02em2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Non-aeros can provide a clean look given cable length is minimal. So often, folks run way too much cable between lever and caliper.

Besides esthetics, the only issue I've seen between an "upgraded" lever (to aero) and an old caliper brake concerns the location of the cable anchor on the brake. If it is the old '70s style on the non drive-side (nds) of the front caliper, it can be difficult to run the left aero lever to that position and maintain the caliper's center over the rim. This can be remedied easily by switching the front brake to the right lever. If the front caliper cable entry is on the ds, there is no issue.
Good to know!

Pictures added of the current setup. I might be okay then.
Likes For black02em2:
Old 09-08-20, 01:50 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 846 Posts
I deal with this situation all the time!

Don't take the calipers apart, it's wasted time imo. Put a couple of drops of synthetic oil (like Tri Flow) at the point between the two arms and leave it for a few hours, it will soak in.

The pads are no good, replace.

The cables are likely still good on this bike, just add some silicone lube to the inside of the housings and cut off any damaged/bent ends.
I use silicone lubes in plastic-lined housings and use grease in un-lined housings. These ones are lined I believe.

These caliper's springs are pretty stiff, and relaxing the springs (or using thicker pads to same effect) will effect a disproportionate improvement in actuation ease.

Remove the caliper and grab the end of the spring with pliers, bending slightly inward.
Relax both ends of the spring equally if possible or one end of the spring may tend to slip off of it's return peg on the arm.
Use care and experimentation to achieve the proper degree of relaxation.

Brakes should be hugely improved with all of the above. Black is usually the highest-gripping pad material in dry conditions, but also most prone to squealing (grippy pads squeal more).

These calipers require a 4mm hex socket (!!!) to center. I add a toothed washer (rotella dentata) at the mounting to prevent the caliper going off center as they tend to do.
Don't mess with the plastic knob at the pivot. It's a locking device to help hold the locknuts underneath from moving independently. It is not an adjuster!

Last edited by dddd; 09-08-20 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 01:51 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
@black02em2- When you take the calipers apart, clean all the bearing surfaces even though they are flat washers. Light film of grease will help them actuate better. I would not replace anything until everything was clean and lubed or replaced. The assess what you need to do vs what you want to do.
Old 09-08-20, 02:03 PM
black02em2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
I deal with this situation all the time!

Don't take the calipers apart, it's wasted time imo. Put a couple of drops of synthetic oil (like Tri Flow) at the point between the two arms and leave it for a few hours, it will soak in.

The pads are no good, replace.

The cables are likely still good on this bike, just add some silicone lube to the inside of the housings and cut off any damaged/bent ends.
I use silicone lubes in plastic-lined housings and use grease in un-lined housings. These ones are lined I believe.

These caliper's springs are pretty stiff, and relaxing the springs (or using thicker pads to same effect) will effect a disproportionate improvement in actuation ease.

Remove the caliper and grab the end of the spring with pliers, bending slightly inward.
Relax both ends of the spring equally if possible or one end of the spring may tend to slip off of it's return peg on the arm.
Use care and experimentation to achieve the proper degree of relaxation.

Brakes should be hugely improved with all of the above. Black is usually the highest-gripping pad material in dry conditions, but also most prone to squealing (grippy pads squeal more).

These calipers require a 4mm hex socket (!!!) to center. I add a toothed washer (rotella dentata) at the mounting to prevent the caliper going off center as they tend to do.
Don't mess with the plastic knob at the pivot. It's a locking device to help hold the locknuts underneath from moving independently. It is not an adjuster!
Thanks for the great advice. I already purchased new cables and housings with the intention of maybe converting to Shimano aero levers. Do you see that being an issue with these calipers?

Good to know for the plastic locknut. I have read that people have had issues getting these calipers centered because of it. Some have even removed that black nut.

For now what I gather is removing the calipers, cleaning/polishing them and greasing the pivot points. Then installing new cables/housings if I go aero levers. Should I be looking for a specific size of pads?
Originally Posted by SJX426
@black02em2- When you take the calipers apart, clean all the bearing surfaces even though they are flat washers. Light film of grease will help them actuate better. I would not replace anything until everything was clean and lubed or replaced. The assess what you need to do vs what you want to do.
Great advice. And I could add new pads after this if I'm not getting good braking power.
Old 09-08-20, 02:12 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
. Should I be looking for a specific size of pads?

Great advice. And I could add new pads after this if I'm not getting good braking power.
New pads is almost a requirement for those 30 year old hardened bricks.
Usual recommendation is for Kool Stops and vintage side pull Continentals or Eagle if there is room in the fork.

Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Likes For dedhed:
Old 09-08-20, 02:16 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,387 Times in 690 Posts
FWIW, I have run the 605's ancestor, the 500 (which has roots in the 1930s) and their fancier brother the Carrera, with Dia-Compe aero levers with no problems. I strongly recommend good quality stainless brake cables and good quality, lined brake cable housing, along with lubricating the brake pivots. I can see the value of working with the springs, and I can see the virtue of dismantling, cleaning, buffing, etc. - but good cables, line housing and lubricants go a long way toward fixing things. After those are done, before spending any money on brake pads, I would run sandpaper or a file over the actual braking surfaces of the existing pads to deglaze them. Seriously. I found deglazing the black stock pads on my Carreras yielded results comparable to expensive Scott-Matthauser pads.

If you decide to use the stock levers, the above tips will work. Aero levers allegedly give better results when braking from the hood rather than from the hooks of the bars, though I haven't really noticed a difference when I ride bikes with the same calipers but different levers.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 09-08-20, 02:32 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

I would tend to choose levers by shape, whatever your preference in in this regard.
I'm OK with Weinman/DC levers since the wide body (and availability of cheap hoods) seems to best suit my own needs.

Hoods (lubed with rubbing alcohol or suds) can be fitted over the front of these levers, no need to remove them from the bars. Their clamps sometimes present a bit of added work getting the ends of the band securely latched onto the threaded square draw-nut, so I prefer to leave these levers in place when possible. The ferrules kind of get in the way of easily swapping hoods, but can be snuck in from the front after the new hood is on.

Be sure to securely tighten the band clamp screws before re-fitting the cables!

One more thing about the plastic knob is that, if it turns, then the nuts aren't tight. The knob slides off so the normal two nuts can be accessed with a thin wrench plus another wrench or socket. It's kind of a goofy system, especially with the 4mm hex thing on the end of the center bolt.

Last edited by dddd; 09-08-20 at 02:35 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-09-20, 06:22 AM
black02em2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
New pads is almost a requirement for those 30 year old hardened bricks.
Usual recommendation is for Kool Stops and vintage side pull Continentals or Eagle if there is room in the fork.

Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977
Awesome thanks, ill check them out!
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
FWIW, I have run the 605's ancestor, the 500 (which has roots in the 1930s) and their fancier brother the Carrera, with Dia-Compe aero levers with no problems. I strongly recommend good quality stainless brake cables and good quality, lined brake cable housing, along with lubricating the brake pivots. I can see the value of working with the springs, and I can see the virtue of dismantling, cleaning, buffing, etc. - but good cables, line housing and lubricants go a long way toward fixing things. After those are done, before spending any money on brake pads, I would run sandpaper or a file over the actual braking surfaces of the existing pads to deglaze them. Seriously. I found deglazing the black stock pads on my Carreras yielded results comparable to expensive Scott-Matthauser pads.

If you decide to use the stock levers, the above tips will work. Aero levers allegedly give better results when braking from the hood rather than from the hooks of the bars, though I haven't really noticed a difference when I ride bikes with the same calipers but different levers.
I'll use your above mentioned tips and see if I can get the calipers moving smoothly. Then I look into swapping out the levers.
I would tend to choose levers by shape, whatever your preference in in this regard.
I'm OK with Weinman/DC levers since the wide body (and availability of cheap hoods) seems to best suit my own needs.

Hoods (lubed with rubbing alcohol or suds) can be fitted over the front of these levers, no need to remove them from the bars. Their clamps sometimes present a bit of added work getting the ends of the band securely latched onto the threaded square draw-nut, so I prefer to leave these levers in place when possible. The ferrules kind of get in the way of easily swapping hoods, but can be snuck in from the front after the new hood is on.

Be sure to securely tighten the band clamp screws before re-fitting the cables!

One more thing about the plastic knob is that, if it turns, then the nuts aren't tight. The knob slides off so the normal two nuts can be accessed with a thin wrench plus another wrench or socket. It's kind of a goofy system, especially with the 4mm hex thing on the end of the center bolt.
That's what I've read, that the 4mm hex is a strange style of center bolt, hidden under the plastic knob.
Old 09-09-20, 10:50 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

...That's what I've read, that the 4mm hex is a strange style of center bolt, hidden under the plastic knob.
It's especially strange in that no bike mechanic likely has a 4mm socket handy most of the time.

Conveniently, it is accessible with the plastic cap left in place. The 4mm hex extension seems prone to breaking if one perhaps tried to center the caliper with the mounting nut still tight(?).

Maybe the greater intention of the plastic cap was to prevent owners from trying to tighten the pivot nut as part of routine pre-ride check?
Such tightening might leave the pivot over-tight, with the owner unable to re-adjust things without actually having a proper 10mm thin wrench.

The knurl on the knob confuses some into thinking it's some kind of adjuster, which it is not.
Old 09-09-20, 12:04 PM
black02em2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's especially strange in that no bike mechanic likely has a 4mm socket handy most of the time.

Conveniently, it is accessible with the plastic cap left in place. The 4mm hex extension seems prone to breaking if one perhaps tried to center the caliper with the mounting nut still tight(?).

Maybe the greater intention of the plastic cap was to prevent owners from trying to tighten the pivot nut as part of routine pre-ride check?
Such tightening might leave the pivot over-tight, with the owner unable to re-adjust things without actually having a proper 10mm thin wrench.

The knurl on the knob confuses some into thinking it's some kind of adjuster, which it is not.
I agree, that is kind of what it looks like.
Old 09-09-20, 06:06 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
All of the advice from @dddd is good, as always, but what he left out is that they weren't very good calipers to begin with. If you do what he says, they might perform well.

Aero levers generally have more leverage than their predecessors, so that will help as well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-09-20, 06:53 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've had good results with the not very expensive Tektro levers (and Cane Creek - made by Tektro, same quality, some slightly different touches). A modest step up in power from older levers, work well and I find them a good fit for my hands. Cheap but I get good use out of them. Good cable and housing run-ins that allow changing cables without unwrapping and rarely have any issues at all, unlike my experience with some older aero levers.

Yes, I am a die-hard fan of aero levers. I wanted them in my big mileage years as a bike racer. Always wanted to be able to drape my hands over the tops; 5 years later, I saw them and had to have them. For my hands, the current Tektros are the best they've seen in 53 yeas of "10-speed" riding (except nothing matches the old MAFAC Racer levers for their wonderful lever's rolled undersides for not chafing fingers when pulling really hard when climbing)..

Ben
Old 09-13-20, 07:42 PM
black02em2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've had good results with the not very expensive Tektro levers (and Cane Creek - made by Tektro, same quality, some slightly different touches). A modest step up in power from older levers, work well and I find them a good fit for my hands. Cheap but I get good use out of them. Good cable and housing run-ins that allow changing cables without unwrapping and rarely have any issues at all, unlike my experience with some older aero levers.

Yes, I am a die-hard fan of aero levers. I wanted them in my big mileage years as a bike racer. Always wanted to be able to drape my hands over the tops; 5 years later, I saw them and had to have them. For my hands, the current Tektros are the best they've seen in 53 yeas of "10-speed" riding (except nothing matches the old MAFAC Racer levers for their wonderful lever's rolled undersides for not chafing fingers when pulling really hard when climbing)..

Ben
Nice, I've looked into those! Are you using the RL340's?