Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ohio tour, late sept, temperature/weather prep?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-13-20, 09:31 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts

I am contemplating a ride through Ohio (~400 miles for planning purposes) and I am curious what others suggest.

A few logistics first:
- Stealth camping is the name of the game - depending on the weather and what I find - maybe just a bed roll and sleeping bag on a picnic table (0deg bag, and I've camped down to that before and have no problem with freezing temps) but would have a 4 season tent (recently seam sealed so it should be good for another 8-10 years) if I had to hunker down and get out of the weather.
- Mileage is going to be low per day - depending on the terrain maybe 30-60 miles/day

I am thinking it would be good to plan for temps from 20deg F to 90deg F. The next 10 day forecast shows temps down to 40-ish, but it is possible in the near future to hit freezing temps, or a bit lower. Average first freeze is the middle of October, earliest is the last quarter of September. So if my ride is, say, 10 days and I left the 25th of September that would put me in to the 1st week of October to return . That would be right in that potential freeze zone - the later in to the trip the more likely to hit freezing temps.

Does that sound like sound logic for temperature expectations?

I wouldn't be too concerned about snow, in fact I wouldn't be too concerned with the possibility of snow enough to be a problem until January, earliest heavy show I can remember in this part of the country was Halloween about 20-25 years ago.

Im not too sure on what kind of wet weather gear to pack, if anything. I'm thinking maybe a poncho, but it wouldn't be my intent to ride much in the rain unless I absolutely had to. I'd like to hunker down and set up a lean-to to keep out of the rain for a passing shower, but if there is a huge front line coming through it might be a cause for pitching the tent and taking a 0 day.

As far as temps go - I have found my winter hiking boots/showshoeing boots with home made cleat adapters to be a blessing for extending the riding season. In the warmer temps my regular riding shoes are OK, but my feet can get too toasty even in those with the airflow if it is real hot. Up to about 85eg they are OK. I'd say on the low end below 65deg I'd be a lot more comfortable in the converted hiking boots. So those sound like a necessity to have on-board.

Gloves are a no-brainer - I wear thin cloth gloves from about 55-60deg down to 45deg, then mitts below that (if it gets below 45 and I'm riding all day I put hand warmers in the mitts).

I'm thinking a tarp or two might be good - obviously one for a lean-to, or maybe a hotdog bun bivvy on the side of the trail somewhere (not the first time that may happen). 2nd for a drape over the bike if we're in for a drencher?

Any thoughts from the group? Ideas?
Old 09-14-20, 07:37 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I never camped in Ohio, but I have decades of experience canoe camping in October on the Minnesota/Canada border in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Most of our trips were nine days.

Generally we expected it to freeze one or two nights, expected light snow about one out of three trips but the snow was almost never more than a half inch. Some trips had virtually no precipitation, but some trips had day after day after day of rain. The days with enough wind to keep us on shore were quite rare, but occasionally happened.

Presumably you have some long pants that work well on a cycle. When I did my month long bike tour in Iceland, I did not even bring a short sleeve jersey, only brought a long sleeve. About half the days wore shorts, other days had long pants on. There were a couple days I started out with shorts, but when got cold put on rain pants to cut the wind even though it was not raining.

If you see a pattern here, I do not like camping in hot weather, much prefer cooler weather. For example, when I bike toured the Katy Trail, that was end of Oct and beginning of Nov.

Long underwear. No need to elaborate.

You did not say if your trip has to end at a certain point on a certain date for one reason or another, such as getting back to a job. I assume since most people have to schedule an end date to their trips, that you also will have to. That means possibly having to travel in bad weather.

Based on all of the above, I suggest you prepare to ride in rain, may have to ride on a thin layer of snow but not enough to slow you down. That early in the season, it is unlikely that you would have any sheet ice to impair your riding and if it does freeze the ice should not last long since the ground would still be warm from summer. If you had a bad cold snap and the top few inches of ground is frozen, tent stakes could be an issue, either putting them in the ground or retrieving later, but that is a very rare problem that time of year.

Butane stoves do not perform well with a cold canister, but if you put your canister in a quarter to half inch of warm (not hot) water, that improves stove performance a lot as it keeps the canister from getting too cold. Do not use hot water, a hot canister could be dangerous.

When biking near home, below freezing I use hiking shoes or light hiking boots without cleats. But since my bike touring is planned to be mostly above freezing, I use bike shoes with cleats. I got lucky several years ago and got a good pair of bike shoes that were pennies on the dollar at an REI scratch and dent sale that were about one size too big. They are large enough that I can put a wool insole in the bottom and use thicker socks without restricting blood flow. But cleated shoes usually will allow water in if you put your foot in a puddle. Consider waterproof socks for those rare days when you may have to worry about that. I have Dexshell socks but I think that Seal Skinz are more popular for cycling. I only wear the water proof socks if I expect cold deep puddles or if I want them to block the wind from coming in my shoe vents. In cold and wet conditions I use shoe covers or overshoes. I use pedals that are SPD cleat on one side, platform on the other.

And a rain cover over my helmet makes it warmer, even when it is not raining. I wore the rain cover on my helmet every day for my Iceland trip just because it was warmer and kept the wind out of the vents. And I use a thin ear band under the helmet in cool weather.

I have some great long finger gloves that work well in cool wet or dry conditions, they also have a flap with a pocket to convert to mittens. But the ones I like are not sold in USA. Think about what you put on your hands on cold rainy days.

Down vest in camp is great, packs down to nearly nothing and weighs very little. And a thin stocking cap. I like a sleeping bag liner to keep my sleeping bag clean when I am camping where I can't take a shower every day.

Rain, I wear a Marmot Precip jacket. I have a pair of REI branded rain pants that are no longer sold, long enough leg zippers I can put them on without taking my shoes off. They are an extra larger size so when I flex my knees as I pedal, the bottom of the pants stay down low over the tops of my overshoes or shoe covers. And of course something needed to keep rain pants out of the chain. I use suspenders to keep the rain pants from sliding down.

Rain pants should stay low enough on your leg when you flex your knees when pedaling that the do not expose the top of the shoe covers.

Rain cover over helmet. I am not sure if I had two layers under the rain jacket or three, but had quite a few that day. I usually wear a neck gaiter on cold days, but I do not see one in the photo that day.

Wet weather happens, get used to it.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 09-14-20 at 07:41 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-14-20, 08:15 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 952 Times in 783 Posts
I commute mostly year round, and that you consider only a poncho to me just means soaked lower legs and shoes. when it's cool getting wet and chilled is a given, heck even in August we can get a cold thunderstorm where you end up miserable, so I'm clearly in the rain jacket, pants that cover top of rain booties, rain booties, neck up thing, helmet cover, and finally, the classiest of the whole lot----dishwashing gloves.

Mage would be happy. (Tv ad from the 70s, "you're soaking in it"

and obviously, wool and or fleece to keep warm when the cold rain soaks through your rain gear, and it will.

it's pretty simple, the rest of us suggest this sort of stuff because we've experienced being miserable on wet cool or cold rides, and know what we don't want to experience the same again. You may very well tolerate being cold and wet very differently from me, so these are only my suggestions.

have a nice fall ride.
Old 09-14-20, 08:31 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Thanks for the input.

I don't usually ride in the rain. I have been on some rides where I've been wet - one in particular was in the 90's so the thunderstorm I got stuck in actually felt pretty good. Aside from that, I prefer to wait it out for the most part. The kicker is if a weather pattern settles in where its wet for 3 days straight. Thats a real crapper and I suppose that is a possibility with potentially a 10+ day timeline.

I have a foul weather suit, but it isn't light weight/compact. I can experiment with it and see what it will pack down to/how heavy it is. The peace of mind might be worth it. It seems to me I had it along on a ride I did back in November, didn't use it, but same thing - peace of mind to have it.

As to timing and scheduling - I'd have to see closer to potentially setting things in motion. What I need to do is let my body guide the timing - that and weather. I feel pretty good with 10 days (that figure based on reasonable mileage for me), but the ultimate guide would be once I roll. A couple extra down days or real slow days might be a good thing.

I like the shower cap over the helmet idea. I have also heard of shower caps being good saddle covers. Any suggestions on decent shower caps or ones that are too crappy to stay away from?

I have my bikes torn down at the moment but I'm hoping I can get things together by Wednesday. Then I might do a "shake down" day trip around 53 miles - pack like I'm heading out for the trip and see about how to situate gear etc.
Old 09-14-20, 08:47 PM
djb

As you say, bad luck and a big bad weather front would be a drag, but at least nowadays it's fairly easy to get really good predictions and weather radar access on line, so at least that helps a bit.
Re shower caps, I've used a few and they really do work well. Ended up getting as a gift one of those yellow ones like tourist msn, which is tougher than a hotel thin one and I feel the yellow helps cars to spot me too in bad visibility. It's really nice not having rain run down your hair in your face and down neck.
Also like Tmsn, I often use a neckup or neck gaiter, keeps neck and shoulders from getting chilled and stiff.
Dishwashing gloves may look goofy, but they saved my arse on one long, cold wet day where I had no choice but to ride. Would have had wooden fingers if not for some light wool gloves inside the dish gloves. A bit goofy but believe me, that day I couldn't care less.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-14-20, 09:25 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by djb
Dishwashing gloves may look goofy, but they saved my arse on one long, cold wet day where I had no choice but to ride. Would have had wooden fingers if not for some light wool gloves inside the dish gloves. A bit goofy but believe me, that day I couldn't care less.
These are what I have and use. I got on to these when I was running a semi. I did flatbed/specialized work and all that entailed was strapping or chaining loads and unstrapping and unchaining - in all kinds of weather. These are the warmest and driest gloves I found for the purpose:
https://www.fullsource.com/mcr-safety-n9690m

They might actually be too grippy for riding, but I've since used them for riding duty in the event I get in to wet/damp/snowy situations.

I have circulation issues in my hands on the bike (I'd say that is pretty common with cyclists). If it is below about 60 and I'm out all day I will have gloves on - maybe even my mitts. If it is cool, no matter what gloves or mitts I wear, my hands will get cold and stiff so that is where the hand warmer packets come in. It is hard to balance the temp at times and I can end up with pretty sweaty hands and forearms, but the alternative is hands that simply don't work. Same goes for feet but the winter hiking boots I mentioned have alleviated this to the point of not worrying about it - if it is cold enough that I have to worry about my feet in those boots it is too cold, period, to be riding, in my book.
Old 09-14-20, 11:16 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
My wife and I rode through northern Ohio, but it was early/mid September and did not get much rain or cold weather. We have also ridden through North Dakota, Minnesota, and Michigan (twice) later in September and October. We had rain and below freezing weather at night and early mornings on both trips. I did not feel that I needed anything warmer than medium weight wool socks and my regular cycling shoes for the feet, and a pair of warm gloves.

We carry a light weight synthetic puff jacket, and several layer of tops. I carry a pair of light weight fleece pants that I use for skiing, which make a good layer for riding, and around camp in the evening. A fleece stocking cap is also nice.

Our camping gear during the shoulder season includes a good (a little heavier 3 season tent), 20 degree synthetic sleeping bags, and Thermarest pads.

We've done 28 tours, ranging from a week to 3 months, since 2003. I can only remember two tours that we did not get rained on; both were in California. On one tour we had 35 days of rain.

IMO a good rain jacket, rain pants and a helmet cover are a good combination for riding in cold, wet weather.

Michigan in October

Alberta, Canada-- The gear is pretty much what was outlined above.

A woman we camped next to on the Icefield Parkway in Alberta had a good fix for cold, wet weather.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-15-20 at 10:49 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 09-15-20, 04:10 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Will you carry a 2M HT with APRS??

73 from John K3TN
Old 09-15-20, 07:45 AM
djb

re gloves, waterproof or not, I figure the main thing is that if one is going to ride in fall conditions, and it could be very cool and rainy, you'll want to think of something that will help keep your hands warm, because its pretty miserable is your hands are freezing and wet.
I went with dishgloves because they were available (ie in the house) and pack rather small and light.
I'd recommend not tight so that you can put a pair of thin polypro or wool gloves inside them.
They will be clammy, but better clammy and warm and being able to feel your fingers and make them work.
Old 09-15-20, 08:49 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I mentioned above that I have some gloves with a pocket on a flap that converts them to mittens. I bought mine several years ago, so they might be slightly different than these but this is where I bought mine from. Shipping is not cheap.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXHW...le-race-gloves

It is a roll of the dice ordering gloves from another country, when I ordered them I assumed there would be a 50/50 chance that they would not fit. They fit me a hair tight but they do not restrict blood flow, they take a bit of work to get on and off. They are my favorite cool weather gloves in wet or dry conditions. No padding,which probably is good for gloves used in wet conditions, they absorb very little water when wet. The mitt pocket in the flap is nice in the colder wind. I like them down to upper 30s or mid 40s (F) on the low end, up into upper 50s on higher end. I would not want to submerge my hands in cold water with those gloves, but they did the trick for me on rainy rides.

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I have circulation issues in my hands on the bike (I'd say that is pretty common with cyclists). If it is below about 60 and I'm out all day I will have gloves on - maybe even my mitts. If it is cool, no matter what gloves or mitts I wear, my hands will get cold and stiff so that is where the hand warmer packets come in. It is hard to balance the temp at times and I can end up with pretty sweaty hands and forearms, but the alternative is hands that simply don't work. Same goes for feet but the winter hiking boots I mentioned have alleviated this to the point of not worrying about it - if it is cold enough that I have to worry about my feet in those boots it is too cold, period, to be riding, in my book.
That is unfortunate. Your hands and feet are the body heat radiators, when you have excess heat it goes to your extramities and when you have too little heat you suddenly have no heat flow to the extremities, which leads to numbness before the frost bite can set in. It is an issue of balancing insulation against heat production.

Sometimes in winter, when I am a bit warmed up I sometimes have to take my gloves or mitts off when my hands start sweating. Then I have to worry about sweat freezing and sticking to cold metal.

There have been times when I will have a couple cold fingers on the same hand as a couple sweaty fingers and sweaty palm in my gloves or mitts.

It can be tough in cold weather to get your insulation dialed in just right. And then you climb a hill and produce more heat in the process, so suddenly you have too much insulationon.

If you wear bike shoes with vents, a baggie over your socks can keep the wind from blowing through your shoes, but that makes it easier for your socks to accumulate moisture. I do that sometimes in winter but I never ride for longer than about two hours in winter. Thus, I do not have to worry about having socks that accumulate too much sweat.

Hopefully you will not be out in winter weather, in late Sep it should not be too bad at all. It might actually be a great time. Several years ago I was on the Minnesota/Canada border in early October, we had a warm spell and for 7 straight days I was wearing shorts in the campsite.

When I go for a couple hour long bike ride in winter (not an all day, every day bike tour), I often bring three pair of gloves/mitts to switch between, trying to keep the hands warm enough but also trying to minimize sweat.
Old 09-15-20, 09:18 AM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
When I go for a couple hour long bike ride in winter (not an all day, every day bike tour), I often bring three pair of gloves/mitts to switch between, trying to keep the hands warm enough but also trying to minimize sweat.
Thanks for all the thoughts. Yeah, I do the same with the 3 pairs of gloves - the thin cloth ones, the Ninja Ice's I linked to earlier, and the mitts. If I end up switching gloves mid-ride its from one of the other pairs to the mitts with hand warmers because my hands were on the verge of quitting on me Then its a balance of mitts on/off to regulate. Though, again, having the mitts and hand warmers helps way more than it hurts. When I need dexterity I take them off - like around camp cooking etc. Having toasty roasty mitts to poke my hands in to when I need a warm up is pretty awesome.

If my hands get cold and I go switching gloves without hand warmers my hands will never warm up, they'll just get colder and quit.

That reminds me... I wonder if there are any "low heat" hand warmers. I forget which ones I have, I'll have to check the pack, but they are always too hot. 1/2 the heat would be a good starting point.

When I was snowshoeing and winter camping in college I took a large candle lantern. It was actually a post-mounted deck lantern that Weber (the grill company) made. It was fairly small, but big for backpacking duties. The nice thing about the lantern, though, was the top was cast metal. It made a nice heat radiator. That is what I laid my hands on to warm them up. It works pretty well. And I know people say never to have a flame in a tent, but when it's 0deg that little lantern was nice to take the edge off the temp also.

I have one of those spring load/collapsible "candle lantern"s also. In fact, I had that along with me on my last trip. It can help with heat, but I mostly had it for the candle light. It is not nearly as good of an option for warming hands as you have no where to rest them - just hover above the top.
Old 09-15-20, 09:32 AM
djb

I have one of those spring load/collapsible "candle lantern"s also. In fact, I had that along with me on my last trip. It can help with heat, but I mostly had it for the candle light. It is not nearly as good of an option for warming hands as you have no where to rest them - just hover above the top.
when we car camped with the kids in a tent, I always used to bring my spring load candle lantern, and when it was cold and damp, regularly would hang it from a permanent strung up piece of cord we usually have in a tent. In the bag I carry the candle lantern, spare candle and candles, I've always had a shortish piece of stiff wire that has two hooks bent into it, one at each end of the wire-one loop goes over the cord and one under the flip upable handle of the small candle lantern. Always found it great to take out the blah dampness of a tent thats been wet and cold , and using common sense for safety alls been well for eons doing this. Even bumping into the candle in teh tent has been ok because it just swings a bit, never fell once in all the years doing this.
Never took it on a bike trip, but might consider if in cold months.
Likes For djb:
Old 09-15-20, 11:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
when we car camped with the kids in a tent, I always used to bring my spring load candle lantern, and when it was cold and damp, regularly would hang it from a permanent strung up piece of cord we usually have in a tent. In the bag I carry the candle lantern, spare candle and candles, I've always had a shortish piece of stiff wire that has two hooks bent into it, one at each end of the wire-one loop goes over the cord and one under the flip upable handle of the small candle lantern. Always found it great to take out the blah dampness of a tent thats been wet and cold , and using common sense for safety alls been well for eons doing this. Even bumping into the candle in teh tent has been ok because it just swings a bit, never fell once in all the years doing this.
I assume you mean one of the French candle lanterns that we bought in the 1970s because back then flashlight bulbs would frequently burn out and batteries did not last very long. I have not used my French candle lantern in decades. I remember thinking that looking at it made me feel warm, but only when I was looking at it. But they were good for light. And at that era you could buy a little lantern that used those tiny little candles (tealight candles) that are about a cm high. A couple years ago I brought one of those that used the tiny candles on a trip hoping it would produce some light in a shelter, it didn't but the tiny candles had much smaller flames than the French lanterns. I suspect that the French one would have provided enough light in that shelter.

But realistically, if you eat a bit of butter, that fat will give you more warmth than the candle ever would. Yeah, looking at a flame made it feel warm, but that was just for looks. More calories is what makes you actually warmer.

Back in the 70s, I would use a safety pin in the tent ceiling in a dome tent to hang my candle lantern from if I was in a fairly tall tent. But the little A frame tents I thought were too low for that to be safe. Only did that in a double wall tent, inner was not waterproof so the pin did not damage waterproofing.
Old 09-15-20, 01:04 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I agree with you guys on using the candle lantern. I think it does add a little warmth to a small tent that is not too drafty. We used ours a lot winter camping and ski touring.

The current blends of butane fuels work well in cold temperatures. The canister is sitting on the snow. My shovel serves as a wind break, while we brew up a quick cup of coffee.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-15-20 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-15-20, 02:41 PM
djb

Yup, that's the exact one. Was even able to buy a replacement glass for it when it once got cracked.

and tmsn, I'm convinced that it took the damp chill out of the tent after hanging there for a while, although if windy it probably didn't help much.
Old 09-15-20, 03:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by djb
and tmsn, I'm convinced that it took the damp chill out of the tent after hanging there for a while, although if windy it probably didn't help much.
I am sure in a small confined space, it made the air warmer but you have a lot of body mass and it won't make you that much warmer.
Old 09-15-20, 04:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,263 Times in 7,221 Posts
Whatcha gonna do if there is a drastic change in the forecast and it ends up raining for days? A cold rain blowing into your face. I’d take proper rain gear.
Old 09-15-20, 05:58 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
For that kind of conditions I don't take much more than my summer gear. I rode across the Southern Tier in February with a 14# base and was fine with the numerous nights below freezing (coldest overnight low was the mid teens). My little 1 pound down bag was fine when supplemented with some clothing and inside a bivy. I didn't take a tent but did take a tarp. I didn't take a lot of clothing, but what I did take was chosen for versatility. I wore my regular summer bike shoes. They were fine despite having a lot of mesh. Some really warm dry socks were important at night.

I do sleep really warm and don't mind getting by with not much though. Also there was not much snow. None that really was any problem.
Old 09-15-20, 06:47 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am sure in a small confined space, it made the air warmer but you have a lot of body mass and it won't make you that much warmer.
car camping I never gave it a second thought to bring....on a bike trip....probably not, I end up with enough junk anyway....but who knows..
Old 09-15-20, 08:17 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Whatcha gonna do if there is a drastic change in the forecast and it ends up raining for days? A cold rain blowing into your face. I’d take proper rain gear.
Bug out option. One of two possible vehicle rides home.

If it were a day of rain I'd make do somehow. If it were going to be a big front setting in for a few days - I'd evaluate the scenario if it happens, but probably would tap out.

I will do a dry run for packing and loading and see how it goes. I'm hoping that is before the end of the week, we'll see. I do have foul weather gear, just not thin/light cycling or backpacking grade.
Old 09-15-20, 08:19 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by Doug64

Yep thats it. Mine is red, but same thing.
Old 09-15-20, 08:57 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by jpescatore
Will you carry a 2M HT with APRS??

73 from John K3TN
I forgot to address this. I have a radio with me on pretty much all my rides. However, I don't run APRS.

I am not sure what handheld I'd take, likely my VX6R Yaesu as it is waterproof and pretty much bomb proof.

The other rig I would have is an Elecraft KX3. It does 160-6m all modes and I added 2m to it also. So, in theory, it could take the place of an HT, but I don't find it very convenient to use for VHF. The main reason I have 2m is because it will receive the NOAA weather band. That makes it pretty valuable as a backpacking rig - no need to take an HT unless I want group comms to a base camp.

Speaking of the KX3 - I need to keep working on my jumper dipole. I was working on a re-design of the one I made several years ago. This time it is made with thicker wire an better insulators. I have it working on all bands to 20m right now. I want to be able to run 75m and there are several bands between 20 and 75 (30, upper 40, lower 40, 60, 75 - then eventualy 80, upper 160, and lower 160). The jumper dipole will negate the need for a tuner. On my backpacking trip a few weeks ago I took a NorCal 40m Doublet. It requires a tuner and supposedly will work 10-40m. The tuner I used was a an LDG Z11 Pro. The antenna doesn't perform very well, in my experience, but it can net some QSO's. The jumper dipole is a lot better option - no tuning. Just set the band and go. And, being a full size dipole, it simply works a lot better in practice.
Old 09-16-20, 07:35 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Just got back from 8 days touring Ohio. Several hundred miles of trails surrounding Dayton and Xenia within the Miami River valley and of course the Ohio to Erie Trail as well. I feel the weather in mid to late September is nearly perfect, fairly dry and maybe a little cool in the mornings but warming up beautifully by the afternoon, usually doesn't get real hot nor humid. Of course anything can happen but this is generally speaking. Through the first couple weeks of October you can't go wrong but it does get more iffy after that.
A couple photos below.

Maybe the most famous bicycle shop ever

Hundreds of miles of paved bike trails

Likes For robow:
Old 09-16-20, 08:38 PM
KC8QVO

Originally Posted by robow
Just got back from 8 days touring Ohio. Several hundred miles of trails surrounding Dayton and Xenia within the Miami River valley and of course the Ohio to Erie Trail as well. I feel the weather in mid to late September is nearly perfect, fairly dry and maybe a little cool in the mornings but warming up beautifully by the afternoon, usually doesn't get real hot nor humid. Of course anything can happen but this is generally speaking. Through the first couple weeks of October you can't go wrong but it does get more iffy after that.
Thanks for chiming in. What section of the Ohio to Erie did you ride? Just close to Xenia or did you make it further down towards Cinci? When you get to Spring Valley and further south if you try to get back west very far the climb out of the river valley is ridiculous - not to mention the hilly terrain (up and down) once you get past the initial climb. That whole area west of the valley down to the Ohio River is that way. It is deceiving with as gentle as the trail is down there, I can tell ya that for darn sure. I have family on the north end of Cinci and have rode around that area (Red Lion, Lebanon, Otterbein, Dodds, Utica, etc) and its quite hilly.

I've been on the trails in and out of Xenia a few times. That network of trails is the best network of trails I've ever been on. It is a very very well laid out trail system with nice pavement. I ran the Ohio to Erie in November last year from Galloway to Spring Valley also and that was quite a treat. There is a section that spans Xenia to Dayton, I forget what the trail is now, that I've been on quite a few times and it has never disappointed.

My ride, if it pans out, won't likely be down that way - the northern section of the Ohio to Erie, which I have never been on and it isn't continuous - lots of towns and road sections between MUP's/rail trails. I'm not sure on the routing, without a trail things really open up on what roads to take.
Old 09-16-20, 08:48 PM
KC8QVO

To wrap back around to the thoughts on the candle lanterns - this is the little Weber I was talking about earlier. I happened to see it with some of my camping gear today looking for other things so I snagged a picture. It does work well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.