Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 09:32 PM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The river crossing was underwater last year. Only an inch or two, not too bad really. But I can understand they have everyone's safety in mind.

With my wife at home I was able to ride at my own pace and was pleased with my effort. I managed to latch on to a couple of groups here and there, but mostly rode solo. After that first rest stop, all I could think was, "I can't wait until we turn around." The tailwind sure was nice.

I rode the 45 mile route. It was cool starting out but warmed up nicely. It was a great day to ride.
Old 03-13-15, 03:39 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Anyone else doing the Tour de Houston on Sunday?
I'll be doing the 40whatever mile route. Weather looking to be better than last year! (though that won't take much)
Old 03-17-15, 07:50 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Some of my pics from the Tour de Houston this past weekend.

These two guys were a blast. Rode with them for a few miles, they were pretty hilarious.

And of course, after the ride, we needed lunch
Old 03-24-15, 09:29 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Signed up tonight for Bike For Mike, and the Rolling Hills Challenge.

Anyone else in? I'd love some company since my wife most likely won't be joining me!
Old 03-27-15, 05:27 AM
SAGit

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Signed up tonight for Bike For Mike.....

Anyone else in? I'd love some company since my wife most likely won't be joining me!
Bike for Mike, with awesome after ride food (including free wine and beer) sitting in a vineyard, and she is not going? It's not Napa Valley but it's as good as it gets for a Texas picnic.

Remember to ride the 35 miles only so you have plenty of time to enjoy the picnic.
Old 03-27-15, 08:58 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Shes discovered she's not into doing long rides anymore - she gets bored. She still loves riding, and will do some rides like the Tour de Houston, but shes not doing the 150 next year, and probably won't do all the saturday morning rides i sign up for either.

Maybe i can convince her on this one though for the wine
Old 03-27-15, 02:42 PM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Signed up tonight for Bike For Mike, and the Rolling Hills Challenge.

I may sign up. The route is basically my "home court" default ride if I'm not riding somewhere in particular that weekend. I rode last year, but the buddy I rode with had "issues" with someone there, so we boogied when it was over. I was actually looking forward to the post-ride food and wine. I might be talking myself into it as I type
Old 03-27-15, 09:08 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Nice. Do it!

I'm out in Fredericksburg right now for this Groundroll thing with our boss. Weather looks awesome for this weekend. This is a great little town.
Old 03-30-15, 07:10 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Well Texas Hill Country is beautiful. Fredericksburg is a pretty little town. The riding is brutal. Day 1 was 3300 ft of climb. Hit 37mph on one of the descents...could have been more but I braked since it was a windy road. I got pics I'll post later. Day 2 was a 15-20 mph headwind for 26 miles that held me back to under 15mph on descents if I didn't pedal.
Old 04-17-15, 03:58 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Well, with the MS150 being cut in less than half, perfect reason to sign up for Bike for Mike and the Rolling Hills Challenge the first few weeks in May. I'm already registered - but would love some company!
Old 04-18-15, 03:21 PM
68venable

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may look into those. Just riding again after 3 months off following a bike wreck.
Old 04-21-15, 11:38 PM
ClutchCity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which one is more popular? Bike for Mike or Petal for a Purpose in Hockley. I believe they are both on the same day.
Old 04-22-15, 10:10 AM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, with the MS150 being cut in less than half, perfect reason to sign up for Bike for Mike and the Rolling Hills Challenge the first few weeks in May. I'm already registered - but would love some company!
I'm interested in Bike for Mike. What distance are you riding? I'm not sure if I would be riding solo or with my better half. Either way, it would likely involve negotiations on my part.
Old 04-22-15, 10:50 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by ClutchCity
Which one is more popular? Bike for Mike or Petal for a Purpose in Hockley. I believe they are both on the same day.
Well, from what I hear at Bike for Mike there is wine, food, and live music. Others who have done it before can maybe speak to that.

Originally Posted by rpecot
I'm interested in Bike for Mike. What distance are you riding? I'm not sure if I would be riding solo or with my better half. Either way, it would likely involve negotiations on my part.
Given the 3 choices, clearly the 68 mile route. (I'd do the 51 if that was still there).

You should come! Tell her the internet told you so.
Old 04-22-15, 11:02 AM
bkj

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, from what I hear at Bike for Mike there is wine, food, and live music. Others who have done it before can maybe speak to that.
That's been my experience. I've done it twice and have signed up for this year. Bike for Mike is a good ride.
Old 04-23-15, 11:13 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I am still working out my schedule for the next few weeks, but I am hoping to do Bike for Mike if we are in town.
Old 04-24-15, 02:12 PM
ClutchCity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Might do the Bike for Mike or the Rolling Hills Challenge in Columbus. Need to sign up soon.

If y'all are ever riding in the Fulshear/Richmond area, please feel free to stop by my convenience store where I've installed a DERO repair station which has a free airpump & tools. Also, installed benches for cyclists to rest. Spare parts are also available inside the store. See pics in my other post in the Fulshear thread. So many people ride out there so I wanted to do something for the cycling community.

https://www.bikeforums.net/texas/9813...l#post17747911
Old 04-26-15, 05:07 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Finally posted to my blog about our weekend biking in texas hill country - Fredricksburg, for Groundroll. Lots of pics and maps. https://thesurlybiker.wordpress.com/...roundroll-8-2/
Old 04-26-15, 09:18 PM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should come!
Just signed up. Wife can't make it but may daughter may. We should try to meet up.
Old 04-27-15, 07:58 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by rpecot
Just signed up. Wife can't make it but may daughter may. We should try to meet up.
Definitely. You're probably a stronger rider but I wouldn't mind some company for a little while
Old 04-27-15, 10:25 AM
txags92

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sounds like the wife and I are probably going to do Bike for Mike. Not sure why they list a 51 mile route in one place, but only show 19, 35, and 68 on their maps. I suspect the 51 includes an out and back from Simonton instead of the full loop up through San Felipe. I want more than 35, but she is not interested in the full 68. We tried to do about 50 out there on Saturday, but got rained out after about 20 miles. We had stopped at the Shell in Fulshear, and my tire decided to go flat right as I parked the bike against the wall. I replaced the tube, reinflated the tire, and was packing up my underseat bag, when the zipper failed on the bag. Couldn't get it to re-engage...so tied it off with a bandanna and drove over to the car to ditch the bag and go on with the ride. While we were at the car removing the bag, we suddenly heard thunder and noticed how dark the clouds were getting. We decided that we had just been given our third warning that today was not the day we were supposed to ride any further. So we loaded up the truck and just as we were climbing in, it started dumping rain. Bikes got damp, but at least we didn't have to ride in it. Shame too, as it was a nice day to ride otherwise.
Old 04-27-15, 10:34 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by txags92
Sounds like the wife and I are probably going to do Bike for Mike. Not sure why they list a 51 mile route in one place, but only show 19, 35, and 68 on their maps. I suspect the 51 includes an out and back from Simonton instead of the full loop up through San Felipe. I want more than 35, but she is not interested in the full 68. We tried to do about 50 out there on Saturday, but got rained out after about 20 miles. We had stopped at the Shell in Fulshear, and my tire decided to go flat right as I parked the bike against the wall. I replaced the tube, reinflated the tire, and was packing up my underseat bag, when the zipper failed on the bag. Couldn't get it to re-engage...so tied it off with a bandanna and drove over to the car to ditch the bag and go on with the ride. While we were at the car removing the bag, we suddenly heard thunder and noticed how dark the clouds were getting. We decided that we had just been given our third warning that today was not the day we were supposed to ride any further. So we loaded up the truck and just as we were climbing in, it started dumping rain. Bikes got damp, but at least we didn't have to ride in it. Shame too, as it was a nice day to ride otherwise.

when it rains, it pours, eh?

I as also wondering about the missing 51 mile length too. That's what I would choose - especially to get back in time to enjoy the festivities - I think the 68 will take me too long - but we'll see. And agree, the 35 is too short probably. I guess we'll see what happens on Saturday.
Old 04-29-15, 05:32 AM
SAGit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not certain but the 51 miles route follows the 35 miles route then take another loop of North Fulshear. That loop is 15 miles. Please keep in mind there is no shoulders on 1489. I am going to take my 30 years old 25 lbs steel bike and do the 35 miles route.
Old 04-29-15, 05:37 AM
SAGit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw, the North Fulshear loop is from the candy shop ( rest stop#2), then North 359, left on Hunt, Pool Hill, then 1489 to rest stop #3 , then back to Fulshear on 1093.
Old 04-29-15, 08:30 AM
rpecot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one time (so far!) that I've ever had to call my wife to come pick me up was the only time I've ridden 1458 (south of I-10). I got a flat. CO2 wasn't fully cooperating so I didn't get the tire completely aired up. Heat started getting to me. Headwind started picking up. I limped in to Simonton and threw in the towel (I was riding counter-clockwise). It was an awful day. I have avoided that section of highway since then. One day I would like to conquer that demon. The 68 mile route weekend would be a great opportunity, but I don't know if it will be, for a number of reasons. We'll see.

For as much pain and suffering I associate with 1458 south of I-10, the section north of I-10 going north and east to Pattison is just wonderful. Great road surface. Nice gently rolling hills. Great rest stop at the State Historic site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.