Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trying to get my carbon fork from 43 to 45 mm rake -- correct heating temperature?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Trying to get my carbon fork from 43 to 45 mm rake -- correct heating temperature?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 01:22 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
2mm is .080" or, in laymans terms, just a hair more than 1/16". Very small in the scheme of things.
...did you just call me small ?!!!
Old 01-15-15, 01:44 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
Epoxy has a glass transition temperature, at which point it becomes flexible. However, the carbon fiber in the mix does not have a glass transition temperature and can be damaged, as it would need to slip in the epoxy and that epoxy may not be that flexible.

Most epoxy reaches the maximum service temperature where it starts to degrade before the glass transition temperature, by design as it is supposed to be rigid.

Without verifying any of the epoxy characteristics, you must assume what you now have a dangerous weak and useless fork. Please destroy it so it does not get out there on ebay. Sorry, thermosets do not behave like thermoplastics.

Rod
Carbon, Graphite, and various fibers have a very high melting point. You're unlikely to damage them with a little heat.

Likewise, the epoxy on the forks was cooked at the factory. It may be safe if one doesn't exceed the temperatures used during fabrication.

One of the problems is that many home tools would give a direct heat source... you need to uniformly heat the whole fork (at least the legs, I'd be careful about the crown and steer tube). So you'd likely be better off with an oven which you can precisely control the temperature vs a hand held heating device.

The point of the carbon fiber cloth (rather than just using plastic) is to give a rigid structure. Bending it may defeat this somewhat, but perhaps a very gentle bend won't significantly affect it, and many fiber cloths have a flexible weave which makes them easier to work with, so a percent or two bend over the length of the fork may be fine.

Anyway, it sounds ike the OP is doing the experiment. I'd take it easy, and just see what it feels like before hammering any hard corners or riding in tight draft lines.
Old 01-15-15, 02:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Carbon, Graphite, and various fibers have a very high melting point. You're unlikely to damage them with a little heat.

Likewise, the epoxy on the forks was cooked at the factory. It may be safe if one doesn't exceed the temperatures used during fabrication.

One of the problems is that many home tools would give a direct heat source... you need to uniformly heat the whole fork (at least the legs, I'd be careful about the crown and steer tube). So you'd likely be better off with an oven which you can precisely control the temperature vs a hand held heating device.

The point of the carbon fiber cloth (rather than just using plastic) is to give a rigid structure. Bending it may defeat this somewhat, but perhaps a very gentle bend won't significantly affect it, and many fiber cloths have a flexible weave which makes them easier to work with, so a percent or two bend over the length of the fork may be fine.

Anyway, it sounds ike the OP is doing the experiment. I'd take it easy, and just see what it feels like before hammering any hard corners or riding in tight draft lines.
From Columbus:
Carbon forks can be long lasting but one has to take care of other aspects than metal ones.

A fiber composite material has higher mechanical characteristics than metals (higher tensile strength, higher fatigue life, higher stiffness) but it has even different behavior due to its “non-homogeneous nature”. This means that the fork project is really a “critical point” for life span, moreover the final user has to check the composite fork with attention to different aspects compared to metal one. In fact, for composite material the areas of coupling with other parts are critical (headset bearings, stem clamp, gap cap),composite has different impact behavior so for each shock is important to check fork, finally composite is sensitive to ambient agents (solvents, temperature over 90°C etc).
–Riccardo Carpinacci
R&D department, Columbus, Cinelli and 3T

Read more at Technical FAQ with Lennard Zinn: Carbon Forks - VeloNews.com

...the internet, where dubious advice is free, and you get what you pay for.
Old 01-15-15, 04:44 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
OP, BF needs threads is this You are a member with vision. Necessity is the mother of invention, and your invention of the 45 mm rake fork will revolutionize the cycling world. I feel stupid for simply buying a $100 one from Nashbar.
Old 01-15-15, 05:12 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is one of the most amazing threads I've ever read on Bikeforums.
Old 01-15-15, 05:24 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
We need a sticky "What bike part did you use a blowtorch on today?
Old 01-15-15, 06:09 PM
Mark Kelly 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ljsense

It's 2015 already: is that a Mr Fusion above the fork, and is that how you are powering this?
Old 01-15-15, 06:15 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Red Green would be proud of you, but you need more duct tape.
Old 01-15-15, 06:44 PM
Coal Buster

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, come on. Madison, Wisconsin, home of U of W. This has to be a wind up. Look at that picture. This guy says he's a perfectionist. I mean, can you stage a picture more likely to egg on BF members?
Old 01-15-15, 07:36 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
You have it backwards. Thermoset is polymer that cross links irreversibly with heat. Thermoplastic is is a polymer that doesn't crosslink with heat and can be reformed. Thermosets are plastics like epoxy, phenol/formaldehyde, urethane, and polyesters for example. Examples of thermoplastics are PET, polypropylene, polyethylene and nylon.

You are correct that the fork shouldn't be reformed.
You have posted an error. PET is a polyester. Polyester is not normally thermoset, it is usually thermoplastic.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 01-15-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-15-15, 08:09 PM
gjmen003

Bikes: 02 Klein Att SS, 02 Klein Att MTB, 15 Trek DS 8.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about using an eccentric headset?
Old 01-15-15, 09:29 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...I want to try this, but in order to be safe, I'm gonna heat my fork in the crock pot.
Old 01-15-15, 09:47 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I'm a bit surprised this has gone on so long.

I'm thinking I might list a noted bridge over in the marketplace forum.
Old 01-15-15, 09:56 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

demise of Marie Antoinette? in tights.
Old 01-15-15, 10:28 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I notice your a fellow Madison resident. Perhaps you heard of this story from a few months back: Bicyclist in critical condition after crash possibly caused by broken fork, police say : Madisondotcom

That crash was at low speed in an intersection. As far as I have heard, he has not woken up yet.

That carbon wrap is a joke - a haphazard wrap like that slathered with a bit of epoxy will add very little strength, and you'll never get a good bond to the already-cured fork. I'll keep an eye on the obituaries for you.
Old 01-15-15, 10:35 PM
Nerull

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Oh my god I think I recognize some of the tools in that shop. Please, please tell me this is all a big joke and no one at Freewheel/Bike Right/whatever its called these days is stupid enough to let you do this there.
Old 01-15-15, 11:20 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
At least BF is a free site. If he does ride that fork and something drastic happens to him he's not out his cost of a years membership.
Old 01-16-15, 11:16 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
My suggestion for the OP, please acquire a Go-pro if you don't have one and attach it to your helmet, if you wear one and record all future rides on this fork.

I can't wait to see the footage.
Old 01-16-15, 12:02 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Nerull
Oh my god I think I recognize some of the tools in that shop. Please, please tell me this is all a big joke and no one at Freewheel/Bike Right/whatever its called these days is stupid enough to let you do this there.
They are probably sitting around giggling after pranking BikeForums.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-16-15, 02:13 PM
kansukee

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 27 Posts
kansukee was here.
Old 01-16-15, 04:11 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
You have posted an error. PET is a polyester. Polyester is not normally thermoset, it is usually thermoplastic.
Polyesters can be either thermoset or thermoplastic depending on the chemical structure. PET is a specific polyester that is a thermoplastic. Unsaturated polyesters, such as those used in fiberglass, are usually thermosets.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-16-15, 05:07 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
My suggestion for the OP, please acquire a Go-pro if you don't have one and attach it to your helmet, if you wear one and record all future rides on this fork.

I can't wait to see the footage.
Finally someone will catch it on video when the carbon ASPLODES!
Old 01-16-15, 07:29 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
For this very small amount of rake, if you really HAD to change it, I would have just filed the drops a bit wider and pushed the wheel to the front when tightening the quick release. Would have been done in less than an hour and no cosmetic issues to deal with.
Old 01-16-15, 09:26 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
LOL. Good times.
Old 01-16-15, 09:33 PM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
First I was using a propane torch, running it up and down while I had the fork ends clamped against a spare hub and quick release in a vise, then I'd push and see if it would budge. It hasn't worked great, and there's been a little bubbling and singeing. So I switched to a paint stripping hot *** and put a really long pipe over the steer tube to get more leverage after things get hot. It seemed to bend a bit. I think I am sitting on at least a 44 rake, but one of the legs has deformed a bit.
I can't believe you are doing this. The proper method is to heat the head tube and have a really heavy friend squash the bike until the forks are set to the required angle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.