Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Disc brakes 2019

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-18, 11:23 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclebycle13
Let's not forget people who are descending for long periods of time don't have to worry about their tubular tires having the glue melt or clinchers heat up and blow a tube (or carbon clinchers deform) with disc brakes.

I have a bike with disc brakes for riding in the winter and for rain rides. All other times I'm riding a bike with rim brakes.
Those are fair points, but they make me think about a ride I did with friends many years ago in Vermont. We had just finished descending the East side of Lincoln gap in wet conditions. The roads were slick and we had to control our speed. We normally do not ride on descents like that. At the bottom, one guy who was riding tubulars realized that his front tire had slipped on the rim, tilting the valve dangerously. He immediately swapped the wheel around for the next descent. Had he not noticed, he might have had a tire failure under hard braking on the 2 remaining gaps on our ride. A couple of years ago, I descended a TDF hors categorie descent in the Pyrenees. The climb was hard enough, and my rim brakes were adequate because we stopped several times on the way down, I kept things under control, but I realized that better brakes would have made me feel safer. Maybe because, at 68 years old, I am more careful, but I think that I just want the best equipment for any sort of riding
Old 09-16-18, 11:26 AM
Humpy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Shouldn’t we be more concerned with the equipment on primetime sports on major networks, like big air BMX?
Agreed, BMX is the only form of cycling that matters, the rest is just a compromise due to lack of talent. Anyway, back to discussing equipment used to slow down in a straight line on a smooth and grippy surface.
Old 09-16-18, 12:30 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclintom
I have had both and I do not like disks.
I have had both cheap mechanical disc brakes on 9mm QR on straight steer forks (bad)

and I have had Hydraulic disc brakes on 12mm thru axle tapered steer forks. (AWEsome) Both being road bikes

My conclusion, I really LOVE my full carbon wheels that will live forever!
I Really love the modulation that only hydraulic can offer.

what Do I hate about them. Well the fact that I almost need a seat belt on emergency stops. No that I will endo the bike, but that the bike stops but I keep going!
Old 09-16-18, 03:07 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
And yet 90% of people I see riding bicycles including myself are still using platform pedals...One of the bikes I purchased many years ago came with clipless pedals, the first thing I told the LBS to do before I took the bike home, was to remove the clipless set up and change it to platform pedals.
I think that the figures of bicycle injuries are that 90% of them are caused because the rider cannot remove his feet from the clip-ons fast enough. So platform pedals make a whole lot of sense for commuters and anyone that does a lot of city riding. Today while riding through an adjacent town some SOB in an SUV decided that he could pass traffic by pulling into the bike lane right after he passed me. I was right next to him and it was so close that I still don't know how he didn't hit me. Two years ago the same SOB did the SAME EXACT THING.
Old 09-16-18, 03:21 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
And there always remains the fact that disc brakes dont ruin rims. This is especially relevant when you have really high priced rims.

Also bikes that are built with disc brakes can have lighter stronger, and more aero rims.
Old 09-16-18, 03:24 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Canker
Other than the no power assist part everything else you said there is wrong. You had a faulty set of disc brakes if you had those problems or maybe you had mechanical disc brakes and think they were hydraulic. There is a reservoir and hydraulic disk brakes automatically adjust for brake wear, it is one of the selling points of hydraulic over mechanical. Second time I've seen you post this incorrect info. If the crap you posted was factual they never would have taken over the mountain bike world let alone start on the road bike world.
Apparently 1. You are not a bike mechanic if you have the idea that there is a hydraulic fluid reservoir on bicycle disk brakes. 2. The SELLING point of hydraulic over manual is smoother application and less mechanical losses. Can you please stop with your dumb postings that because they are worthwhile on an MTB that they MUST be worthwhile on a road bike? Aside from MTB's being much heavier than road bikes, the suspension forks are designed to withstand immense bending forces. This is not something that is necessary on a road bike. As someone else stated, if the UCI dropped their weight limit you would never see another disk brake on a racing bike.
Old 09-16-18, 03:29 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Apparently 1. You are not a bike mechanic if you have the idea that there is a hydraulic fluid reservoir on bicycle disk brakes. 2. The SELLING point of hydraulic over manual is smoother application and less mechanical losses. Can you please stop with your dumb postings that because they are worthwhile on an MTB that they MUST be worthwhile on a road bike? Aside from MTB's being much heavier than road bikes, the suspension forks are designed to withstand immense bending forces. This is not something that is necessary on a road bike. As someone else stated, if the UCI dropped their weight limit you would never see another disk brake on a racing bike.
The UCI will vote to do what ever the mfg pays them to do.
Old 09-16-18, 03:35 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Even a decent set of mech discs …. @cyclingtom must have gotten some very cheap, very early mech discs and installed them wrong.

Considering that I travel 45 feet in those two seconds, and another 15 before coming to a stop … yes, that makes a difference in the rain.

Best news ever: You do not have to buy a bike with discs. In fact, Shimano just released its 8000 group which features a choice of rim or disc brakes. You are safe for a while yet.
Why would you have as picture of the seat stay Raleigh mark and say someone else must have cheap junk? If you're

saying that you cannot planned ahead when to stop at 15 mph perhaps with reactions like those you should stick to walking.
Old 09-16-18, 03:41 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
Actually no. I communicated with the UCI on several occasions because I believe that bikes are getting dangerously light now and any manufacturing flaw can cause fatalities among normal people. What they wrote back is most easily translated as "tough ****" and that they will probably eliminated the weight restrictions. Now that graphene is getting more and more available we may see 10 lb bikes in large sizes including graphene wheels. Hope you're ready to pay $20K for a bike.
Old 09-16-18, 04:23 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rydabent
So why don't you race against a streamliner then? I'm sure that you can get your recumbent to go the present record of over 100 mph. Since you are of the opinion that classes of bikes shouldn't matter than isn't that just as equal?
Old 09-16-18, 04:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I have Spyre SLC mech discs, and they Work. They do not do all the crazy stuff one poster claims mech discs do ... and they do self-center and self-adjust. So .... whatever.

I also hac=ve hydro discs .... about which the certain cyclist canot speak, apparently having no actual experience/.

Maybe old Avid mech discs simply weren't that good ... that's something i had heard before. but No brake system anywhere eats a set of pads in a single ride. i don't care if you are descending Everest. That is a set=-up issue or some other fault. Seriously ... does anyone want to claim that disc pads last only one ride? Does anyone want to try to claim that a brake system which needed a several-dollar refit after every ride would last on the market?

Think before responding .... that is an option.

1. Disk brake pads wear out rapidly. Unlike a car there is no fluid reservoir and no power assist so the entire brake operates with manual high ratio lever pull. This means that it doesn't require much wear before the lever bottoms out. The only way to "adjust" this is to replace the disk pad. Looking at the disk wear after just a single hard ride should tell you that these brakes because of their relatively small size and disk diameter have a lot of wear. People that are saying that "My brake pads don't wear out" do not ride their bikes much.
This post shows exactly how rigorously the poster handles facts and figures:
I think that the figures of bicycle injuries are that 90% of them are caused because the rider cannot remove his feet from the clip-ons fast enough.
Old 09-16-18, 04:33 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I think that the figures of bicycle injuries are that 90% of them are caused because the rider cannot remove his feet from the clip-ons fast enough.
I'd love to see a source for that. I'm betting it's more like 50% are caused by drunks, and probably the next portion are kids showing off their wheelies.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-16-18, 04:36 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Man, this thread fell off the ledge far faster than I had imagined. And it was going so well.

I did get a chuckle out of "disc brake pads wear out rapidly." I average ~7,000 miles per set of front pads.
Old 09-16-18, 04:42 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have Spyre SLC mech discs, and they Work. They do not do all the crazy stuff one poster claims mech discs do ... and they do self-center and self-adjust. So .... whatever.

I also hac=ve hydro discs .... about which the certain cyclist canot speak, apparently having no actual experience/.

Maybe old Avid mech discs simply weren't that good ... that's something i had heard before. but No brake system anywhere eats a set of pads in a single ride. i don't care if you are descending Everest. That is a set=-up issue or some other fault. Seriously ... does anyone want to claim that disc pads last only one ride? Does anyone want to try to claim that a brake system which needed a several-dollar refit after every ride would last on the market?

Think before responding .... that is an option.

This post shows exactly how rigorously the poster handles facts and figures:
Show us how your mechanical disks "self adjust". I could design mechanical disk or hydraulic disk mechanisms that do self adjust but I haven't seen any that do. It would add additional complexity and weight.

Also I didn't say that pads wore out in one ride. I said is that all you have to do is look at the amount of wear in one ride and you can see how they wear rapidly.

If you don't have Avids and no personal experience with them why are you inventing theories out of clear air as to why I think that they don't work like people like you claim that they do?

I'm an engineer with 40 years in the business. I have a little understanding of these sorts of matters. What education do you have in engineering?
Old 09-16-18, 05:16 PM
Humpy

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 7 Posts
You are not a bike mechanic if you have the idea that there is a hydraulic fluid reservoir on bicycle disk brakes.

I'm an engineer...
Oh, never mind then.
Old 09-16-18, 08:34 PM
cyclintom

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Humpy

Oh, never mind then.
What do you think you're looking at there?
Old 09-16-18, 08:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

It seems pretty straight forward.

Old 09-16-18, 10:24 PM
desmodue

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
What do you think you're looking at there?

I'd be interested in what you think it is.
Old 09-16-18, 10:50 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts

and sram's road bike version and yes Avids which are also Sram brakes have a reservoir. Two of my three mtn bikes have Avids brakes which suck but not for pad wear or anything else you posted. They are just a pita to bleed.
Old 09-16-18, 10:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope

I did get a chuckle out of "disc brake pads wear out rapidly." I average ~7,000 miles per set of front pads.
I blow mine out in significantly less than 1000. (I am also very pro-disc brake.)
Old 09-16-18, 11:04 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Well wear is going to depend on your weight and where and how you ride. I hardly ever wear mine out riding in Wv but I'm 160lbs while other people I mountain bike with weigh 250lbs and go through a set or two a year. Haven't ever wore out any on my cross/road bike but I did swap out my crappy bb5s after a little over 1k miles for TRP spyres this year.
https://bikerumor-wpengine.netdna-ss...p-brakes03.jpg
and just because I found a good pic of a clear Avid brake
Old 09-17-18, 05:20 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I'm an engineer with 40 years in the business. I have a little understanding of these sorts of matters.
You are not a bike mechanic if you have the idea that there is a hydraulic fluid reservoir on bicycle disk brakes.
This is almost getting uncomfortable to watch. But it is a train wreck I can’t look away from.
Old 09-17-18, 06:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
3. Disk brakes are at the worst place possible on a fork. They are at the end of a long lever and have to transfer all of the majority of the braking force through the entire length of the fork and into the frame.
This is not quite accurate.

There IS a big difference in the bending force between the brake caliper and axle in rim vs disc, but the forces on the fork/frame interface are essentially the same.

The “lever arm” acting on the head tube and steer tube starts where the tire sits on the ground, not at the caliper location.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-17-18 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 07:02 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Originally Posted by wgscott
I blow mine out in significantly less than 1000. (I am also very pro-disc brake.)
But... how? Are you just endlessly riding down a twisty road on a very rainy mountain? My newest set of brakes only have about 1,200 miles on them (installed about 10 weeks ago) but there is no visible wear on the pads. The brakes they replaced went on to another bike after logging ~6,000 miles on the pads, still plenty of life in them.
Old 09-17-18, 07:20 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
But... how? Are you just endlessly riding down a twisty road on a very rainy mountain? My newest set of brakes only have about 1,200 miles on them (installed about 10 weeks ago) but there is no visible wear on the pads. The brakes they replaced went on to another bike after logging ~6,000 miles on the pads, still plenty of life in them.
Twisty mountain roads -- yes. Rain -- no. Off-road a lot -- yes. Borderline clinical paranoia -- yes.

I have to replace my rotors at least once a season as well.

Organic J02A pads, fwiw.

Weight 195 lb.

I climb (and therefore descend) 40,000 to 50,000 ft/month.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-17-18 at 07:24 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.