Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Contend AR 1 or Norco Section?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-04-19, 09:38 AM
t8xan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Having trouble deciding between Contend AR 1 and Norco Section.

Hydraulic brakes are a must, at least 105 groupset, and the ability to take fenders, and a rack with at least 28c tires, preferably 30-32c.
Both have tru-axles as well. Both have that. The Giant has slightly wider tire clearance up to 38c maybe 35c with fenders.

Really like the clutch derailleur on the Section, and the fact that there isn't as much proprietary stuff like the handlebar. Makes it easier to change components later without feeling locked to a specific brand.

Have bike shops that sell both brands nearby.

• Your level of experience with cycling? Been cycling since childhood.

• What's your price range, and have you considered second hand? $1,000-$2000 for bike, not including anything else like shoes, pedals, kit, etc.

• What's your intention with the bike - commuting, fitness, touring, sport, etc? How far will you be riding, and how often? Mainly short recreational rides 1-5 miles, commuting, and doing errands on bike as well. Also general fitness.

• Riding conditions: roads, pavement, trails, single-track, off-road? Flat or hilly? Traffic and weather. Mostly flat FL, paved roads, and some light trails. 90% of riding will be paved roads.

• Location is FL mostly. Very wet, and very flat where I am.
Old 11-04-19, 06:26 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by t8xan
Having trouble deciding between Contend AR 1 and Norco Section.

Hydraulic brakes are a must, at least 105 groupset, and the ability to take fenders, and a rack with at least 28c tires, preferably 30-32c.
Both have tru-axles as well. Both have that. The Giant has slightly wider tire clearance up to 38c maybe 35c with fenders.

Really like the clutch derailleur on the Section, and the fact that there isn't as much proprietary stuff like the handlebar. Makes it easier to change components later without feeling locked to a specific brand.

Have bike shops that sell both brands nearby.

• Your level of experience with cycling? Been cycling since childhood.

• What's your price range, and have you considered second hand? $1,000-$2000 for bike, not including anything else like shoes, pedals, kit, etc.

• What's your intention with the bike - commuting, fitness, touring, sport, etc? How far will you be riding, and how often? Mainly short recreational rides 1-5 miles, commuting, and doing errands on bike as well. Also general fitness.

• Riding conditions: roads, pavement, trails, single-track, off-road? Flat or hilly? Traffic and weather. Mostly flat FL, paved roads, and some light trails. 90% of riding will be paved roads.

• Location is FL mostly. Very wet, and very flat where I am.

there is enough differences in geometry that I think you'd want to test ride both bikes.

the Giant will give you a shorter reach, and a higher stack with a lower BB. The Norco will be longer reach with a shorter stack and higher BB.
Old 11-04-19, 06:53 PM
t8xan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely going to test ride both. I think there are 3 or 4 shops near me with the Giant.
Old 11-04-19, 06:57 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2020
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/10/gian...d-bike-review/

I don’t see lugs for a rear rack on the AR … which is crazy. It also has the proprietary D-shaped seat tuvbbe which makes mounting a post rack problematical. It would also seem you couldn’t use one of those seat-bolt-clamps with rack ears.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/2020/pav...um/section-a1/

The Norco has lugs for a rack, for sure. It also seems to have much slacker geometry, which means it will be slower to change direction, but more stable on shifty surfaces, possibly. Doesn’t mention max tire width.
Old 11-04-19, 07:37 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/contend-ar-1-2020
https://cyclingtips.com/2019/10/gian...d-bike-review/

I don’t see lugs for a rear rack on the AR … which is crazy. It also has the proprietary D-shaped seat tuvbbe which makes mounting a post rack problematical. It would also seem you couldn’t use one of those seat-bolt-clamps with rack ears.
WOW so much blind! You posted a Link on a review of the AR, which The thumbnail to the video shows the rack mount lug on seat stay. then the first three pictures shows the Lugs. the third Picture being VERY CLEAR. with even more picture showing them in the album.

Besides all of that, Giant makes a D-fuse seatpost collar for rack mounts.
Old 11-05-19, 01:32 PM
t8xan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry can't quote; I don't have enough posts yet.

I read the Norco has a maximum tire of 35c.

The Giant has rack mounts on the inside of the seat stays. I thought it didn't have rack mounts as well which is weird, because the rack mounts are all over the Liv version's advertising and I thought they'd have identical features.