Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheels In The Rain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 02:01 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL clincher (rim brake) wheels on one of my road bikes. Aside from the obvious braking quality of carbon rims in the rain, I'm guessing it's probably prudent to not ride them in the rain for other reasons as well. Such as riding in the rain can cause increased wear on the carbon rim's brake tracks due to all the road crud.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone ride their carbon rim (rim brake) wheels in the rain? And have you noticed exceptional wear on the brake tracks because of it?

Thanks.
Old 12-11-19, 05:46 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Carbon won't melt in the rain per se but yes when they are ridden in environments that have more debris the brake tracks can wear out quicker. That being said I have only ever noticed issues on riders that ride their gear to the absolute limits in all sorts of adverse conditions (Pros/ex-pros who are still racing). Not in enthusiasts doing a lot of general rides in the rain.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 12-11-19, 06:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
I avoid riding them in the rain. That said, I have had a couple “surprise” rain events on rides with them, and they did not asplode. I would not worry about damaging them, but the braking really is not good when wet. So avoid using in the rain but don’t worry too much about damaging them.
Old 12-11-19, 06:40 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
As a person who lives in Seattle, I can tell you rain riding greatly increases wear. The bike I ride in the winter has disc brakes for that specific reason. I have two pairs of carbon wheels that I use on my summer bike that I have had for 3 or 4 years that barely show any wear.
Old 12-11-19, 06:59 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
It all depends on how much rain riding you are talking about. If you are talking about getting caught in the rain a couple of times a month, the rain won't make a big difference in wear. If you live someplace with crappy weather like the PNW, I would have a spare set of alloy wheels, or buy a disc brake bike.
Old 12-11-19, 07:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I train/commute on alloy rims and race on carbon, rain or shine.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-11-19, 07:46 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I don't worry about it, in fact have a wheelset w/ suitable tires that I mostly ride in the winter, & they don't show wear from several years.

All my wheels have been got at bargain prices, 'tho, so if they did wear out it wouldn't be a big deal.

Also don't have any wet braking issues to speak of.
Old 12-12-19, 07:25 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I don’t ride in the rain much and try to avoid it. But I noticed the rim braking was better with the Bontrager Aeolus Pro 5s than the original aluminum Race rims. The brakes engaged much sooner with the carbon rims. Still disc is better on my mountain bike and will be on my next road bike.
Old 12-13-19, 10:30 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Also don't have any wet braking issues to speak of.
Agreed. I never do either. After being in the carbon wheel business for over 10 years now I have found this is another one of those subjective things. If a rider has a really poorly matched brake pad compound then they can experiences really poor to no braking power int he wet. If they have a good compound on the resins we have had in this industry for the last 6 or so years then they shouldn't notice any real problems or issues. There'd be more feedback along these lines but the industry and the riders switched to disc around that time so they are still pulling on their old stories.

So brake performance on carbon int he rain... YMMV.... IMHO

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 12-13-19, 02:46 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I wouldn't ride rim brake carbon wheels in the rain. That's like the worst of both world: braking and wearing.
Old 12-13-19, 02:58 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by aclinjury
I wouldn't ride rim brake carbon wheels in the rain. That's like the worst of both world: braking and wearing.
Yeah... we used to die and wheels would assplode all the time. not a single ride would go by where something catastrophic wouldn't happen but it's good to know you wouldn't do what literally tens of thousands of others do near daily.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 12-13-19, 03:17 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
If you have an option of Disc brake, then I wouldn't worry about riding in the rain.

Personally I wouldn't choose to use rim brakes due to wear issues as above. Nonetheless, if you get caught unprepared, you'll survive the ride home.

I had a bike with aluminum on the rear and carbon on the front. I tried to minimize front braking (carbon) during adverse conditions.
Old 12-13-19, 03:52 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
The thread is pretty consistant so far. Yes, it can suck in terms of performance. Yes, it can wear out the rim faster. That's also true for aluminium as well.

The thing is, is carbon is often so much more expensive that makes a worn rim so much more painful to replace. Any more, I think it's largely an existential cost issue, but many older rims may be made from carbon that really doesn't handle abrasion well so the eventual replacement will happen sooner than otherwise. (Carbon/ceramic seems to be the latest solution) Though crappy pads & general pad cleanliness can really sway the equation.

I had some ENVE gray pads on AMP wheels. Worthless garbage in the wet bordering on outright dangerous. Switching to Reynolds blue pads made a world of difference, but still not anything I would call "outstanding" or "great" but merely "passable."

YMMV

Last edited by base2; 12-17-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-13-19, 05:04 PM
woodcraft

Worst braking for me is a couple of sets of Mavik SL wheels- heavily used for CX, & the brake tracks are worn concave (tubular, so they won't fall apart any time soon).

They get ridden in mud & wet, cost $100/set, and are pretty bombproof. The main thing is to lower one's expectations for stopping power.

They generate a lot of oxide gunk coming off the brake tracks, so I actually prefer CF rims in the rain.
Old 12-17-19, 07:23 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
If they have a good compound on the resins we have had in this industry for the last 6 or so years then they shouldn't notice any real problems or issues. There'd be more feedback along these lines but the industry and the riders switched to disc around that time so they are still pulling on their old stories.
That's a good point... having test ridden a few bikes with carbon rim brakes as a mechanic, I was prepared for disappointment when I took my Cadens for a spin the first time, but was blown away by the braking. More initial grab than aluminium, but with less ultimate bite as lever pressure increased... replacing my 7700 front brake with a 9000 one further improved the latter aspect, and maybe even improved modulation for light braking a touch too.

Not sure how much of that performance is due to the brake track materials and how much is due to the pad compound (nor to mention the possible interaction of the two), but it sure is miles better than I was expecting from a bit of experience with older wheels.

I might even have to take that bike for a spin in the wet on purpose to see how that goes...

They generate a lot of oxide gunk coming off the brake tracks, so I actually prefer CF rims in the rain.
Good call - that ally oxide powder is utter filth.
Old 12-17-19, 08:03 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Well, here in the #2 rain capital of our fine nation, I was recently in the market for some new wheels for my BMC SLR02. I don't race, but I do ride quite a bit. I looked hard at some of the lower cost options for carbon + rim brakes, as that is what I have on this bike. I talked to several bike shops in town who sell carbon wheelsets. For a person with my sort of mileage (around 7200ish miles/yr.), they all advised against going with carbon fiber rims + my 105 rim brakes. Now, maybe that advice would have been different if my wheel budget were $3000, but it was not. So, I settled on what I think is a very nice budget aluminum wheelset made by someone competent that will still be a nice upgrade from my current Mavics. They should arrive next week and I will report. By the way, the Mavics are two years old and I just took my 1000-lumen Cygolite to them inch by inch. They have hardly any visible wear on them--at all. Mavic clearly make quality stuff--I just wanted something a bit different.
Old 12-17-19, 09:50 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Well, here in the #2 rain capital of our fine nation, I was recently in the market for some new wheels for my BMC SLR02. I don't race, but I do ride quite a bit. I looked hard at some of the lower cost options for carbon + rim brakes, as that is what I have on this bike. I talked to several bike shops in town who sell carbon wheelsets. For a person with my sort of mileage (around 7200ish miles/yr.), they all advised against going with carbon fiber rims + my 105 rim brakes. Now, maybe that advice would have been different if my wheel budget were $3000, but it was not. So, I settled on what I think is a very nice budget aluminum wheelset made by someone competent that will still be a nice upgrade from my current Mavics. They should arrive next week and I will report. By the way, the Mavics are two years old and I just took my 1000-lumen Cygolite to them inch by inch. They have hardly any visible wear on them--at all. Mavic clearly make quality stuff--I just wanted something a bit different.

14k Portland miles & no visible wear? Wow!
Old 12-17-19, 10:41 PM
bpcyclist

14k Portland miles & no visible wear? Wow!
I'm certainly no wheel expert, but it looks pretty good to me.
Old 12-17-19, 11:12 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Cleaning your brake pads is very important. The gunk gets on the pads that pushes and degrades the rim under braking. Wipe the rim as needed appropriately but the pads are where the action or problems are.
Old 12-17-19, 11:59 PM
woodcraft

Better than mine.

Old 12-18-19, 01:51 AM
bpcyclist

Originally Posted by BengalCat
Cleaning your brake pads is very important. The gunk gets on the pads that pushes and degrades the rim under braking. Wipe the rim as needed appropriately but the pads are where the action or problems are.
Thank you. How do you recommend cleaning the pads and the rims?
Old 12-18-19, 06:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
scotchbrite pad and rubbing alcohol for the rims. could probably use the same on the pads, tho a stiff brush of some sort typically gets the important stuff off the pad as long as we're not talking about oils.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 12-18-19, 10:08 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I don't know about all pads for carbon wheels but the specific brake pads that I use, (Bontrager Prince Brake Pads), have slotted spaces between the pads so stuff can really get in there. Obviously any scrubbing or wiping/cleaning needs to address that if your pads are like mine.

Last edited by BengalCat; 12-18-19 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For BengalCat: