Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike shop necessities? Most common issues when running a bike shop.+

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bike shop necessities? Most common issues when running a bike shop.+

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 06:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
I don't think it makes a lot of sense currently. It is important to be able to work on eBikes, but most eBike work that is specific to the electronic drive system involves either running software diagnostics or replacing physical parts, which are usually held together by connectors and not soldered. Most motors and batteries are considered nonserviceable by manufacturers.

In a crowded market I think you could build a business focusing on lower cost eBike conversions and possibly battery rebuilding, but this isn't a mainstream part of the bike industry at present.
and that brings in a whole new area of liability.....lot of difference between selling ebikes and converting bikes to ebikes

Old 12-13-19, 07:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,902 Times in 1,137 Posts
TiHab,
I see that the market is just fine in Carmel (the high rent district just north of Indianapolis, you know the area where houses are in the $1M plus range!). But the same dealer lost his butt here in Bloomington after three months. The market now seems to be more niche than anything. But there are some that have me interested.
They are upgrades of the recumbent three-wheelers we tried in the HPV early years. Same concept but some extra boost and may be a good choice for an around town vehicle. I've been toying with the idea of getting one of the $8k two -seater E-vehicles. Only problem is the 25 mph limits on speed for these. Again just an around town vehicle. But it will be an emerging vehicle technology, just like the scooters that invaded our city. Smiles, MH
Old 12-14-19, 03:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@wrk101, I know about the mini-business-hobby you have. Very organized and admirable. How much do you volunteer at your bike coop? I volunteer three hours a week plus a little here and there like monthly meetings and special events.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-24-19, 09:57 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by hefeweizen
Do you work at a bike shop now?
If not, I would strongly suggest it.
this is the correct next step. My wife and I strongly considered buy a local shop a while back after the owner passed. My wife is a Accountant so she did the numbers work and we would have been good actually. That and being she has a job that does well. So I went in the shop worked for a few weeks. It was horrible for me. Now they didn't do things like I would have but I feared being a boss and owner would have sucked all the fun cycling is to me. We passed in the end. I wasn't a boss type in the end. New owners are doing fine though. Still a great shop...

anyways long story short go work in a shop and see how day to day is run. Great experience and learn lots of things too.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 12-25-19, 08:56 AM
Novalite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think starting a business with an A till Z plan is a wrong approach since one cannot foresee outcomes, too many variables beyond own control.
A start in the garage, a service to family / relations, then to relations of relations, and if that turns out to be lucrative a step towards a shop as such.
That's at any point the least risk and the most control. Loans, unforeseen costs, all create dependencies that limit your choices and freedom.
There is lotsa repair work for bikes, people that let their bikes repair usually are reluctant to buy new anyway, IF you're able to offer the work affordable to them. Don't expect to soon be able to live from it. That is the most common issue when starting to run a bike shop. And as said, customers can be *BEEP*. You have to have some psycho insight in order to survive that. Some sense for humour greatly helps.
Old 12-25-19, 09:44 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Novalite
I think starting a business with an A till Z plan is a wrong approach since one cannot foresee outcomes, too many variables beyond own control.
A start in the garage, a service to family / relations, then to relations of relations, and if that turns out to be lucrative a step towards a shop as such.
That's at any point the least risk and the most control. Loans, unforeseen costs, all create dependencies that limit your choices and freedom.
There is lotsa repair work for bikes, people that let their bikes repair usually are reluctant to buy new anyway, IF you're able to offer the work affordable to them. Don't expect to soon be able to live from it. That is the most common issue when starting to run a bike shop. And as said, customers can be *BEEP*. You have to have some psycho insight in order to survive that. Some sense for humour greatly helps.
Mobile repair works in a similar pattern. Avoids the cost of a brick and mortar business. And can be done as a side gig. Don't forget insurance and taxes.
Likes For wrk101: