Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mechanical or electronic shifting for new bike with $5k budget

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Mechanical or electronic shifting for new bike with $5k budget

Old 11-30-19, 08:18 PM
tankist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
I have carbon Bianchi Infinito for $5k and Titanium Motobecane bought online for just $2.7k. The Ti beats carbon in comfort and reliability easily. Right now you can get Ti with Etap for $4k from bikesdirect:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm
Old 11-30-19, 08:28 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
At the $5k pricepoint I can't imagine going with mechanical shifting (or rim brakes unless weight is a huge concern).
When I bought my C60 I had the option to get Campa electronic.

The C60 was a bit past the $5K pricepoint. I chose mechanical over electronic shifting.

I guess I am a Luddite at heart.

Different strokes for different folks.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 11-30-19, 11:43 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
I have carbon Bianchi Infinito for $5k and Titanium Motobecane bought online for just $2.7k. The Ti beats carbon in comfort and reliability easily. Right now you can get Ti with Etap for $4k from bikesdirect:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...road-bikes.htm
​​​​​​Some days the carbon bike just won't start?
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-01-19, 09:15 AM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Some days the carbon bike just won't start?
Worse. I had an embarrassing fall while climbing a too steep street. I lost my balance because I was going too slow. Nothing serious - I got a couple of bruises on my elbow and hip. But somehow the top tube cracked.

I also had a worse fall on Ti when I was going fast and did not notice a bump on a trail in deep shadow. I got nice scars but the Ti frame just shrugged off the impact.

From these two samples I made the profound conclusion
Likes For tankist:
Old 12-01-19, 09:47 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
How is battery function below freezing, around 20F ?
Old 12-01-19, 12:02 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
How is battery function below freezing, around 20F ?
According to page 6 of the operating manual: https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-AL0001-11-ENG.pdf

SM-BTR2/BT-DN110/BT-DN110-A: Lithium ion battery (built-in type)
  • If the battery does not become fully charged after 4 hours, stop charging. If this is not observed, fire, bursting or overheating may occur.
  • The operating temperature ranges for the battery are given below. Do not use the battery in temperatures outside these ranges. If the battery is used or stored in temperatures which are outside these ranges, fire, injury or problems with operation may occur.
    • During discharge: –10°C - 50°C
    • During charging: 0°C - 45°C
-10C = 14F. So you don't have much leeway between 20F and 14F for the official supported operating temperature. And they recommend charging at 32F and above...so if you keep your bikes in a garage at below-freezing temps and try to charge it there...no bueno according to Shimano.
Old 12-01-19, 12:12 PM
2manybikes

I wonder if any users have actually tried it ?
Old 12-01-19, 12:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

If it's 20F I'd rather be skiing.
Old 12-01-19, 04:08 PM
2manybikes

I like skiing, but - Food, gas, driving, lift tickets.
Riding in the snow starts at my garage door. I get a few years out one set of studded tires. Or road tires, in just cold.
Old 12-15-19, 12:45 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. Today I put a deposit on a 2019 Spec Roubaix Comp DI2. At almost a grand less than a 2020 model, it was too good a deal to pass on. It's being shipped from their warehouse and with the holidays it may take a while to get here so something to look forward to.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 12-15-19, 02:04 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
Sounds like electronic shifting gets the vote. My comments concern the purpose of the bike. Two things. You aren’t racing and you may encounter some rough roads. Since you mentioned the Specialized Roubaix, have you considered the Diverge? Able to fit much wider tires which, along with the future shock, will give you a great ride. I have a two year old Diverge and get a great ride when I put 38’s on. I don’t feel like it slows me down much. At least the Diverge gives you that option.
If I could be the alternative voice of reason, go mechanical and put some great and "expensive" wheels on the bike rather than electronics. I ride an Orbea Orca mechanical (Campy) with great wheels. Electronic, particularly if you are not racing, is not necessary, in my opinion...
Likes For Fox Farm:
Old 12-15-19, 02:06 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I like skiing, but - Food, gas, driving, lift tickets.
Riding in the snow starts at my garage door. I get a few years out one set of studded tires. Or road tires, in just cold.
I made the tragic mistake of going to REI today and while I was waiting for my bike, I checked out the skis and boots. I had no idea how expensive skiing had become. The skis I liked were about $900 and the boots, about $800. Yikes. I thought cycling was expensive.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-15-19, 12:45 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Thanks for all the suggestions. Today I put a deposit on a 2019 Spec Roubaix Comp DI2. At almost a grand less than a 2020 model, it was too good a deal to pass on. It's being shipped from their warehouse and with the holidays it may take a while to get here so something to look forward to.
does the 2019 roubaix comes with future-shock 2.0 with hydraulic damping?
Old 12-15-19, 03:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I made the tragic mistake of going to REI today and while I was waiting for my bike, I checked out the skis and boots. I had no idea how expensive skiing had become. The skis I liked were about $900 and the boots, about $800. Yikes. I thought cycling was expensive.
Yup. I’ve 2 buddies who are die-hard skiers, go to Vail or some such every year. They buy skis and boots every 3-5 years or so but balk at new bikes. I pointed out that they bike likely twice as many days in a year, maybe more than that. I get out 120-150 days a year so replacing old bikes with new is a lot less money than doing ski trips.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-16-19, 09:05 AM
akeelor

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Orbea M20iTeamD is $4299 w/ Ultegra Di2.

I'm really enjoying mine!
Likes For akeelor:
Old 12-16-19, 09:42 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
does the 2019 roubaix comes with future-shock 2.0 with hydraulic damping?
Nope. It has the 1.5 version. Not sure about 2019 but for 2020 you have to move up to the expert to get the 2.0 version so over $5k.
Old 12-16-19, 11:41 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I tried DI2 when it first came out and I wasn't impressed enough to replace it after a crash that broke the RD and shifters. This was back when the RD alone was $400 and the shifters were another heap of cash that I couldn't justify. My wires also worked their way out of their ports on super rough roads, which I'm sure has been addressed in current generations. I'm not a fan of having to bolt/ziptie stuff like junction boxes or errant wires to my bike. I also hated having one more thing that needed charging every so often. I'm sure someone will pipe in with a "those aren't problems/hasn't happened to me" post, but it's hard to shake my past experiences on a machine that I have to trust implicitly to get me home/to the finish line.

Given my sorted history with DI2, the bike that's being built for me right now is going to be mechanical Ultegra with hydraulic disc brakes in order to get the better wheels.
Old 12-16-19, 06:33 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I tried DI2 when it first came out and I wasn't impressed enough to replace it after a crash that broke the RD and shifters. This was back when the RD alone was $400 and the shifters were another heap of cash that I couldn't justify. My wires also worked their way out of their ports on super rough roads, which I'm sure has been addressed in current generations. I'm not a fan of having to bolt/ziptie stuff like junction boxes or errant wires to my bike. I also hated having one more thing that needed charging every so often. I'm sure someone will pipe in with a "those aren't problems/hasn't happened to me" post, but it's hard to shake my past experiences on a machine that I have to trust implicitly to get me home/to the finish line.

Given my sorted history with DI2, the bike that's being built for me right now is going to be mechanical Ultegra with hydraulic disc brakes in order to get the better wheels.
Theres a post here on the Road forum (it should have been in Touring), guy found a deal on a complete Di2 system for $200, wants to put it on a touring bike, then ride 1000 miles on gravel thru Calif., Nevada and Utah.

Somehow you missed that thread, your thoughts would have been appreciated.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...liability.html
Old 12-16-19, 06:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

You can buy very good cross country skis, boots, bindings, and decent poles at REI for less than the (downhill?) boots you saw. And then you don't have to pay to use them.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-16-19, 06:50 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2788 Post(s)
Liked 1,950 Times in 1,206 Posts
I recently built a 2016 S works Tarmac with Sram force etap, for under 4k. I did have to replace the disk calipers with red post mount calipers, due to the frame being post mount rather than flat mount. I recycled a few parts, saddle, handle bars, seat post.
Also, upgrading my 2011, S works Contador tribute Tarmac to Red 22, 11 speed etap. Itll still be rim brakes, but electronic shifting. The wireless ness is awesome.
Old 12-16-19, 06:51 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yup. I’ve 2 buddies who are die-hard skiers, go to Vail or some such every year. They buy skis and boots every 3-5 years or so but balk at new bikes. I pointed out that they bike likely twice as many days in a year, maybe more than that. I get out 120-150 days a year so replacing old bikes with new is a lot less money than doing ski trips.
Skiing is more fun. And I say that as someone who loves cycling dearly.
Old 12-16-19, 08:04 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I bought my first pair of skis at Gart Brothers Sniagrab (bargains spelled backward) for a grand total of $10. Of course back in those days you could also purchase lift tickets for select ski areas (I think Winter Park was one) in advance at King Soopers for $11 saving a buck or two over buying them at the slopes. I don't ski anymore but think the prices might have gone up a bit since then.
Old 12-16-19, 09:20 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle forrest
alpine skiing is more fun. And i say that as someone who loves cycling dearly.
fify

Nordic/Randonee Is a different kind of fun.

Last edited by noodle soup; 12-16-19 at 09:23 PM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 12-16-19, 10:00 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
There is nothing that shifts better than a properly adjusted Campag 12 speed. It is pure bliss.

And yes I have a bike with Di2.
Likes For BigPoser:
Old 12-16-19, 10:22 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
I have three bikes with Dura Ace 9150 di2 and one with Campy SR mechanical 12-spd. Like BigPoser stated above, nothing shifts better than a properly adjusted Campy drivetrain.
Likes For Noctilux.95:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.