Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair Joe Blow pump?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Repair Joe Blow pump?

Old 07-09-18, 11:09 AM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Repair Joe Blow pump? (Fixed! Chuttering and base leak.)

I like my Joe Blow. Been using for years. I worked on it some years ago. Forget its innards. Been working great til yesterday.

It just started not clearing air -- the pump springs back up. Gauge reads the new pressure while pumping but bounces back to zero every stroke. Odd thing happens when I re-levered the chuck's grip on the valve stem: air slowly escaped the pump w a chuddering sound.

I took off the top and the stroke-rod and gasket were grunged up so I cleaned them and greased w vaseline. ...Same problem.

Removed the foot stand and took apart the lower end. Seemed straight forward. Un-did the swiveling hose attachment. Took off the gauge. Everything went easy. Didn't see much dirt anywhere. A little sand came out when I took of the foot stand. I re-assembled everything.

Now ZERO pumping ability. Air escaping the base area. I suspect I put something back together in the wrong orientation. Took it apart again. Can't see where I went wrong. No schematic online that I can find. No detailed repair info. (I did find one pitiful flame war here.) I did find a Youtube video where a guy had my same "chuttering" problem and fixed it by lubing the gasket. But no help for lower air loss.

Help?

UPDATE: I fixed my problem. So far the fix has just been to take apart and put back together. i'm guessing just a sticky check valve. it's the spring-thing in the hole on the side at the bottom. Unscrew access cap. take springy out and put it back in. presto.

I'll add a couple more notes here in case they help someone. Really, I think they could. There are TWO major angles where you can go wrong in attempting dis/re-assembly using the "obvious" method.

The yellow model pump that I have is about 10 years old. If you disassemble the gauge area there is a small o-ring b/w the gauge and the main pump barrel. ...It goes to nothing that I can see. But a grey "sprout" from the plastic grey upper gauge "cap" fits into the socket sealed by this o-ring. Maybe it serves a key function somehow. Anyway, make sure this o-ring is properly in its recess. I'm not sure if mine was at first.

The main way any tinkering could go wrong is there is a small o-ring at the bottom of the black plastic stand fitting that the main yellow pump barrel fits into. There is only a slight recess for it. It can easily get nudged off center. I think it was just banging around in the bottom of the fitting for awhile until I noticed it was there. I finally noticed it on my second try. In the end, to re-assemble I turned the pump upside down and set the tiny o-ring over its air hole then I carefully put the black base fitting on over it w the 3 allen-bolt holes in their correct orientation. Then I put the metal foot-stand back in place over that. Then re-installed the bolts. And everything was fine. Needless to say, if you disassemble and let that o-ring get away there is no more air seal and your hopes are gone.

Last edited by JeffOYB; 07-16-21 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-09-18, 01:56 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I had a similar issue.Appeared to be the check valve was sticking open so there air would go in and then come right back out.
Took it apart and cleaned everything - worked for a couple days and crapped out again. It was a fine pump, I got my money's worth... no regrets.

Old 07-10-18, 01:06 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
After the third Joe Blow, I wrote them off.
Old 07-10-18, 01:19 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
After the third Joe Blow, I wrote them off.
Same. The Specialized Air Tool that replaced it has been superior in every respect.
Old 07-11-18, 02:50 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Same. The Specialized Air Tool that replaced it has been superior in every respect.
I bought a nice pump for 70$ that had no problems with road bike tubes. I also have a nice floor use minipump, because at the time; trying to pump 90 psi in to a 120psi tire with a mini hand pump... no sir.
Old 12-05-18, 02:08 PM
JeffOYB

Bikes: Uh... road, mtb, tour, CX (kludged), 3spd, 'bent, tandem, folder (the fam has another, what, 8)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
So far the fix has just been to take apart and put back together. i'm guessing just a sticky check valve. it's the spring-thing in the hole on the side at the bottom. Unscrew access cap. take springy out and put it back in. presto.
Old 12-15-19, 02:26 PM
bjkotka

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe Blow Repair DIY Fix

So i had this problem as well with my Topeak Joe Blow II not holding pressure and the handle would bounce back at me when i connected the valve to the tube. I unscrewed the plastic cap just over the steel stand and found that there was no spring rubber thingy or even a O-ring (don't ask me how that has disappeared!? Could me my son doing monkeybusiness XD). Where i live it seemed at first that there where no replacement check valve available so i got creative together with my old man and used a spring from a soap dispenser and cut out a small rounded piece from the rubber with sandpaper that sometimes comes with a tube puncture repair set:

Send me a message for pictures of the project if you want to see the procedure visually. Cannot post pictures here since this is my first post apparently

For the time being it has been working brilliant, have pumped up 4 tires to 60 psi and 2 others to 40 and the solution has not melted. After this DIY fix i found the org check valve available here in the DK and it is on the way here. But i will keep this solution because it works perfectly! The meter even shows correct pressure after each pumping stroke.
Bjørn

Last edited by bjkotka; 12-15-19 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Adding a bit more contekst
Old 04-27-20, 09:37 AM
armcomdes

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R3 Ultegra, 208 Cervelo Team Ultegra

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent post. Thank you. My pump wouldn't let air into the tube until I heard a click by me pressing downward hard and holding for a bit. Took everything apart, lubed everything with silicone grease (best for rubber) and all is well in Pumpville!