Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bill for magazine I didn't order.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 07:20 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 291 Posts

I just got a bill for Bicycling Magazine which I haven't ordered. There's no contact information on the bill other than where to mail the check. I Googled the address and apparently quiet a few other people have been had similar bills for other magazines which they did not order (or receive). The address is connected to Hearst Magazines. I plan to ignore the bill especially since I'm not getting the magazine. I'm not sure what I should do if I do receive the magazine since there's no contact information on the bill. Anyone else get a bill like this? Any thoughts?
Old 01-09-19, 08:23 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I just got a bill for Bicycling Magazine which I haven't ordered. There's no contact information on the bill other than where to mail the check. I Googled the address and apparently quiet a few other people have been had similar bills for other magazines which they did not order (or receive). The address is connected to Hearst Magazines. I plan to ignore the bill especially since I'm not getting the magazine. I'm not sure what I should do if I do receive the magazine since there's no contact information on the bill. Anyone else get a bill like this? Any thoughts?
https://www.bbb.org/CSAL/news-events...cription-scam/
Old 01-09-19, 08:25 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I received on as well.
Old 01-09-19, 08:33 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
I believe that legally if you receive any magazines you must send them back. Just write Cancel or Return to Sender and return them.
Also you must reply to any invoices by email or by mail. Dont send them any money
Old 01-09-19, 09:41 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Phone:866-387-0509Email:BICcustserv@cdsfulfillment.comAddress:Customer Care
PO Box 6000
Harlan, IA 51593-0128
Old 01-09-19, 09:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by willibrord
I believe that legally if you receive any magazines you must send them back. Just write Cancel or Return to Sender and return them.
Also you must reply to any invoices by email or by mail. Dont send them any money
The OP stated he/she has not received any magazines, just the bill.

I'd ignore the entire thing.

I didn't renew a yearly subscription to a magazine, I simply didn't pay the for the renewal. They will continue to send magazines past the renewal date and that's fine, but I'm not paying for them. It's the magazines choice to send or not, but they will be sending free magazines.
Old 01-09-19, 10:18 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

This sounds like the skullduggery that active.com pulls...or at least once did. For those who don't know, ACTIVE is the resource that many athletic event organizers use for their registration process. If you didn't look carefully when going through a registration for an event, you would miss the block that was checked saying that you wanted something like the price of a subscription for 'whatever' magazine included, or membership to their service. It happend to me a couple of times, and it pi$$ed enough that I quite doing online registration if it was through Active. But that was automatically added to the registration of the event...not a seperate bill for the magazine like you received. So maybe it isn't them. Or, maybe they've changed their skullduggerous ways.

Dan
Old 01-09-19, 10:21 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
What is a magazine?
Old 01-09-19, 10:25 PM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Magazines? What magazines? I didn’t receive any magazines.
Old 01-10-19, 07:35 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Not a lawyer but I play one on the internet.

That's crazy. You can't obligate somebody to do something just by sending them a bill or a product.
Old 01-10-19, 08:37 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
Yes, mail back "Did not order" in lieu of the payment, and make a copy for your records. Its always best to make an effort to stop a subscription than to do nothing. Just by receiving it without saying otherwise, makes it look like you accepted the delivery.
Its a periodical. I'm pretty sure by the time they get it back its old news.
Old 01-10-19, 08:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Rodale, Inc., which published Bicycling, was recently acquired by Hearst. Based on Hearst's history of "duping" people into subscriptions and the information provided in post #2 above, I vote scam.

https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/be...stakes-3970855
Old 01-10-19, 09:27 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I once got a 3 year subscription to GQ for like $5. Got the magazine for a good five years, each time after the 3 years with a cover stating "your subscription is ending, RENEW NOW" such a bill to renew.

Never bothered with it, eventually they stopped sending it. Unless they have your credit card and permission to auto bill, I would toss it in the trash and not worry.
Old 01-10-19, 09:56 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I don't believe you have any obligation to do anything but if it were me, I'd call in order to have a record that I informed them that I never signed up for a subscription, never received the magazine, and do not want to receive the magazine. May save you aggravation later.
Old 01-10-19, 12:16 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I would phone your State Attorney General's office to let them know there is a scam underway or you are being slammed.
Old 01-10-19, 02:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
This is great...

"BBB has determined that Premier Media is not where they claim to be and currently uses a fake address in Mobile, AL (The RSA Battle House Tower at 11 N Water St Mobile, AL 36602-3809, which is also across the street from the Mobile branch of BBB)."

LoL. Gotta love their sense of humor.

-Tim-
Old 01-10-19, 02:13 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What is a magazine?
That's where you put the bullets.
Jon
Old 01-10-19, 02:25 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
That's where you put the bullets.
Jon
More correctly, cartridges.
Old 01-10-19, 04:08 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What is a magazine?
It's like a website you can hold in your hand.
Old 01-10-19, 09:59 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 291 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate your thoughts.

Jeff
Old 01-10-19, 10:09 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I don't believe you have any obligation to do anything but if it were me, I'd call in order to have a record that I informed them that I never signed up for a subscription, never received the magazine, and do not want to receive the magazine. May save you aggravation later.
If they mail it to you and you read it you are liable for the amount owing. If you throw it out you are not. The best way is to send it back to them, it doesnt cost you anything but your time. You can try calling them but in my experience, you may never even get through to leave a message. The most fool proof way would be to send them a registered letter so you have some proof that they received it. With an email you will have the proof in your sent folder.But they probably don't read their email messages.
Old 01-11-19, 09:58 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
It's like a website you can hold in your hand.
In the movie "A Walk in the Woods" Robert Redford's character said "Books. You know, like TV for smart people."
Old 01-11-19, 10:10 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Nope.

It's actually illegal to demand payment for a previously delivered product. In other words you can't send someone a thing then demand payment for it. This probably varies by state, but I know the electric company here in Maryland got in massive trouble for this a few years back. They announced they would be sending everyone a CFL lightbulb as part of their lower energy plans....but would be adding $9 to every account's bill the following month.

There was outrage and the regulators stepped in and put a huge kibosh on that plan saying it was 100% illegal to force payment for a product that was not specifically ordered by the customer. They were welcome to send free lightbulbs or to sell $9 lightbulbs. But they could not send lightbulbs then demand $9 after the fact.
Old 01-11-19, 10:15 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Nope.

It's actually illegal to demand payment for a previously delivered product. In other words you can't send someone a thing then demand payment for it. This probably varies by state, but I know the electric company here in Maryland got in massive trouble for this a few years back. They announced they would be sending everyone a CFL lightbulb as part of their lower energy plans....but would be adding $9 to every account's bill the following month.

There was outrage and the regulators stepped in and put a huge kibosh on that plan saying it was 100% illegal to force payment for a product that was not specifically ordered by the customer. They were welcome to send free lightbulbs or to sell $9 lightbulbs. But they could not send lightbulbs then demand $9 after the fact.
Well I learned something here today. As a matter of fact, I just receive a box containing water saving devices: a shower head and water aerator from my water company. I would not have occurred to me to check the bill to see if I was charged for them. Thanks to you, I will investigate.
Old 01-11-19, 10:18 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
If they mail it to you and you read it you are liable for the amount owing. If you throw it out you are not. The best way is to send it back to them, it doesnt cost you anything but your time. You can try calling them but in my experience, you may never even get through to leave a message. The most fool proof way would be to send them a registered letter so you have some proof that they received it. With an email you will have the proof in your sent folder.But they probably don't read their email messages.
None of this is based in any kind of law.

How would they know if you read it?

Hell how would they prove if the mail even delivered it? I'm sure it wasn't sent with tracking.

And how would they possible collect? Take you to court? You'd show up and say "I have no idea who these people are, your honor. They don't have an order request from me for this magazine or any proof they sent it to me. These people are nuts."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.