Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano FH Compability

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shimano FH Compability

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-19, 06:16 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Shimano FH Compability

I have an '86 Trek 560 Pro that I want to swap the rear hub from a 6speed Uniglide to a 6speed Hyperglide. Current rear hub is a Shimano 600EX FH-6207. I'm hoping to steal a hyperglide hub off a Shimano FH-MJ05 hub but I can't seem to find much information on this new hub other than it having a 130 OLD. I want to put a 7speed sprocket cassette on the hyperglide and keep the 126 OLD of the frame. (I have cold set frames before but I feel this one is too pretty to mess with).

Long story short, does anybody have any experience with the FH-MJ05 hub? Will I be able to take that hyperglide body and stick it in the FH-6207 hub? I'd have the bike shop do it . . . wheels are one of the few things I let them deal with. I checked VeloBase for info too but can't match the new hub's ID number. I've read Sheldon's thing on freehubs too. Still fuzzy on a few things.

On a side note: I'd be building a brand new rear wheel so as far as dishing and spacing goes, I can figure that out as the wheel gets built. Thinking H+ Son Archetypes and DT Swiss spokes.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-19, 06:20 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
FH-MJ05?
I suspect your "J" should be a number.
EDIT- I found it.
It's listed as a 6 speed?

As a general rule, IF your Uni Glide hub can be removed with a 10mm hex wrench, it's a likely candidate for transplant with an "earlier" 7-9 speed hub.
Keep the DS cone etc. with its specific FH body.

Some later hubs use an entirely different spline system.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 12-08-19 at 06:29 PM.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-08-19, 06:40 PM
sdimattia

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
FH-MJ05?
I suspect your "J" should be a number.
EDIT- I found it.
It's listed as a 6 speed?

As a general rule, IF your Uni Glide hub can be removed with a 10mm hex wrench, it's a likely candidate for transplant with an "earlier" 7-9 speed hub.
Keep the DS cone etc. with its specific FH body.

Some later hubs use an entirely different spline system.
It does take a 10mm hex wrench! Alright, thank you! Fingers crossed . . .

And yes, the guy I bought the new hub from had it listed as a 6speed although if the spacing is 130 OLD, that probably isn't right now that I think about it. Just wanted to make sure the freehub body would fit, and it sounds like it does.
Old 12-08-19, 10:26 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
6 speed Uniglide freehubs can be easily removed and replaced with 7 speed Hyperglide freehubs. (There is no such thing as a 6 speed hyperglide freehub). After you install the Hyperglide freehub you will sometimes need to install a longer axle. You will also have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to seal the wheel bearings on the drive side. Then, you will need to fiddle with spacers. Maybe some cold setting. Many before you have gone through this process. So, you should be able to do it too.
Old 12-08-19, 10:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by ramzilla
6 speed Uniglide freehubs can be easily removed and replaced with 7 speed Hyperglide freehubs. (There is no such thing as a 6 speed hyperglide freehub). After you install the Hyperglide freehub you will sometimes need to install a longer axle. You will also have a heck of a time trying to figure out how to seal the wheel bearings on the drive side. Then, you will need to fiddle with spacers. Maybe some cold setting. Many before you have gone through this process. So, you should be able to do it too.
Why? You just use the parts that come with the transplant FH body. That will seal just like the factory FH and set the correct spacing for the smallest cog from the drop out.
The only problem is you have cones from 2 different model#'s if you need replacement. Something to keep track of.
Odds of finding either "correct" replacement aren't good.
Old 12-08-19, 11:12 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Why? You just use the parts that come with the transplant FH body. That will seal just like the factory FH and set the correct spacing for the smallest cog from the drop out.
The only problem is you have cones from 2 different model#'s if you need replacement. Something to keep track of.
Odds of finding either "correct" replacement aren't good.
Uniglide freehub bodies used a full dust cover to keep the grunge out of the bearings. The cones did not require any special O-rings or rubber seals. The HG freehub body has a slightly different built in, interior dust cover that is designed to work with an axle cone that is grooved to accept a rubber seal. You can just use your old 6400 cone and locknut with your 137mm 6/7 speed axle, but the end of the freehub body may be “unsealed”. I’ve heard of folks cutting a small disc from a plastic milk carton, wrapping a pipe cleaner or even putting a bead of clear silicon bathtub caulk in the small gap in the HG freehub body.

A better bet might be to use some Shimano Deore XT cones with built in seals. You might check bikewagon. They had some NOS Shimano hub parts a while bike for not much money. I haven’t checked their inventory lately. Just to give you an example though, they had Dura Ace 7402 complete axle sets on sale 6 months ago for only like $14 each - a great value as a repair part and usable for both 6/7 speed hubs or, modern 130mm spacing and used with an 8,9,10 speed freehub body leaving rear locknut to locknut spacing at ~129mm.
Old 12-08-19, 11:23 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by masi61
Uniglide freehub bodies used a full dust cover to keep the grunge out of the bearings. The cones did not require any special O-rings or rubber seals. The HG freehub body has a slightly different built in, interior dust cover that is designed to work with an axle cone that is grooved to accept a rubber seal. You can just use your old 6400 cone and locknut with your 137mm 6/7 speed axle, but the end of the freehub body may be “unsealed”. I’ve heard of folks cutting a small disc from a plastic milk carton, wrapping a pipe cleaner or even putting a bead of clear silicon bathtub caulk in the small gap in the HG freehub body.

A better bet might be to use some Shimano Deore XT cones with built in seals. You might check bikewagon. They had some NOS Shimano hub parts a while bike for not much money. I haven’t checked their inventory lately. Just to give you an example though, they had Dura Ace 7402 complete axle sets on sale 6 months ago for only like $14 each - a great value as a repair part and usable for both 6/7 speed hubs or, modern 130mm spacing and used with an 8,9,10 speed freehub body leaving rear locknut to locknut spacing at ~129mm.
You keep the parts with the FH body you use.
You didn't think that one through very well.
Old 12-08-19, 11:41 PM
masi61

You keep the parts with the FH body you use.
You didn't think that one through very well.
Replacement FH bodies do not include the parts to make the old axle correctly sealed when going from Uniglide 6 speed to combi UG/HG or straight HG 7 speed.

And you cannot use the old UG axle seal because it interferes with the new Hyperglide lock ring. I have done this conversion and know what I’m talking about here. The gap is pretty small on the Shimano 105 six speed to 7 speed conversion I did. So I did not worry too much about a less than perfect seal. I ran it with a Wheels Manufacturing 137mm chromoly axle and the original cones, spacers and lockrings. Slight re-dishing of the rear wheel was needed to center the rim since the 7 speed freehub body is wider than the 6 speed one.
Old 12-08-19, 11:46 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Replacement FH bodies do not include the parts to make the old axle correctly sealed when going from Uniglide 6 speed to combi UG/HG or straight HG 7 speed.

And you cannot use the old UG axle seal because it interferes with the new Hyperglide lock ring. I have done this conversion and know what I’m talking about here. The gap is pretty small on the Shimano 105 six speed to 7 speed conversion I did. So I did not worry too much about a less than perfect seal. I ran it with a Wheels Manufacturing 137mm chromoly axle and the original cones, spacers and lockrings. Slight re-dishing of the rear wheel was needed to center the rim since the 7 speed freehub body is wider than the 6 speed one.
OP has a complete hub the way I read it.
That means they have "the parts to make the old axle correctly sealed "

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 12-08-19 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 11:55 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts

Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-09-19, 12:08 AM
masi61

OP has a complete hub the way I read it.
That means they have "the parts to make the old axle correctly sealed "
Perhaps, but perhaps not. The old 6400 axle and cones may not seal correctly, this is what me and one other person are saying. By losing the6400 Uniglide dust cap (which is incompatible) with the open ended HG freehub body, your axle is now less protected if you ride in the rain a lot.

I’d be more inclined to try to transplant the axle set from the donor FH-MJ05 hub so long as it is a for quick release not solid axle. This axle set is more likely to have the grooved cones with rubber seals that you want.
Old 12-09-19, 12:24 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Perhaps, but perhaps not. The old 6400 axle and cones may not seal correctly, this is what me and one other person are saying. By losing the6400 Uniglide dust cap (which is incompatible) with the open ended HG freehub body, your axle is now less protected if you ride in the rain a lot.

I’d be more inclined to try to transplant the axle set from the donor FH-MJ05 hub so long as it is a for quick release not solid axle. This axle set is more likely to have the grooved cones with rubber seals that you want.
So you don't know.
OP stated 6207 hub. Nothing about 6400.

Why isn't it going to seal well if the OP uses the entire Shimano FH-MJ05 DS ASSEMBLY?
The bearing race is part of the FH body, so it's be stupid NOT to use the correct cone & seals etc.

That's the way I've done swaps and there was no problem you describe.
Old 12-09-19, 05:57 AM
masi61

So you don't know.
OP stated 6207 hub. Nothing about 6400.

Why isn't it going to seal well if the OP uses the entire Shimano FH-MJ05 DS ASSEMBLY?
The bearing race is part of the FH body, so it's be stupid NOT to use the correct cone & seals etc.

That's the way I've done swaps and there was no problem you describe.
OK, so it is a 6207 hub to start with. I was tired and read 6400. I thought you were saying that the original axle set was plug-n-play with the new freehub body only.

The Shimano 105 conversion I did involved replacing only the freehub body and axle and re-using the old parts. Cannibalizing a complete replacement hub to get the correct axle set as well as freehub body would most likely ensure a properly sealed, nice running conversion so you are correct sir.
Old 12-15-19, 06:34 PM
sdimattia

Thank you every one so far! I might let the LBS go ahead and do the conversion as wheels and hubs are one area of skill I haven't worked on quite so much. I'll let you all know how it goes though!

The hubs are being shipped from Israel (bought them on eBay, I live in the US) so I'm still waiting on them. Hopefully will have everything sorted by end of next week.
Old 12-15-19, 07:47 PM
masi61

I just looked up an FH-MJO5 freehub and it appears to use a nutted axle. So while the cones and locknuts will work in your conversion, you’re going to need a new hollow axle unless you plan to attach the wheel to your bike with nuts vs. a quick release skewer.
Old 12-15-19, 10:10 PM
sdimattia

I just looked up an FH-MJO5 freehub and it appears to use a nutted axle. So while the cones and locknuts will work in your conversion, you’re going to need a new hollow axle unless you plan to attach the wheel to your bike with nuts vs. a quick release skewer.
I was planning on replacing the quick release with a solid axle (probably this one if it fits) anyway. I live in NYC . . . quick releases in NYC are asking to get your wheels stolen. Just to clarify, you're saying I'd have needed to switch to a solid axle regardless?
Old 12-30-19, 03:35 PM
sdimattia

Well, I got the FH MJ05 hub in the mail today and the freehub body is too short for a 7speed cassette. Turns out, I have found (probably) the only 6speed Hyperglide hub in existence. Pooey. Shimano confirms this. Now I have one UG 6sp hub and one HG 6sp hub . . . Will probably end up buying a Shimano RM30 freehub body and just stick that onto the UG hub. Grrrr.

If anybody wants a 6 speed hyperglide hub with 126mm spacing let me know . . .

Last edited by sdimattia; 12-30-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 04:37 PM
sdimattia

The RM-30 will NOT fit.
It has an entirely different spline arrangement.
Just to clarify, are you referring to the "splines" as in hyperglide vs uniglide? Or the splines that attach the body to the hub? Would it not work for either hub?

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you mean, took a closer look at the exploded diagrams. I guess I'll see if I can either find a new hub body or a new hub itself that'll work. Whichever is cheapest I guess.

Last edited by sdimattia; 12-30-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 04:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by sdimattia
Well, I got the FH MJ05 hub in the mail today and the freehub body is too short for a 7speed cassette. Turns out, I have found (probably) the only 6speed Hyperglide hub in existence. Pooey. Shimano confirms this. Now I have one UG 6sp hub and one HG 6sp hub . . . Will probably end up buying a Shimano RM30 freehub body and just stick that onto the UG hub. Grrrr.

If anybody wants a 6 speed hyperglide hub with 126mm spacing let me know . . .
The RM-30 will NOT fit.
It has an entirely different spline arrangement.
You need a FH body from when 7 speed was in its' "glory days".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FH-RM30-7S.PDF (410.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 12-30-19, 05:12 PM
sdimattia

Bill Kapaun I ended up getting a Deore FH-M550 instead. Honestly, if the hub is in decent enough condition, I might just use that hub and squeeze the extra 4mm into the dropouts. Thanks for you help (and everybody else)!
Old 12-30-19, 05:38 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

That FH body WILL work.
IF you swap it, use the DS cone parts with its' mating FH Body.