Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

walmart starter underarmor?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-10, 07:33 PM
yaganon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need long sleeve underarmor for playing sports in cold weather. I hear that starter under armor from Walmart are bad quality because once the polyester start to stink, the stink doesn't come out.

I'd like some feedback on whether to make the investment in cold gear or to buy 2 starters at the price of 1 pre-owned cold gear.
Old 10-18-10, 07:50 PM
dploy

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale C6, Trek Nav 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be surprised that stink issues is true. But UArmor supposedly guarantees their line so send it back to them!
Old 10-18-10, 07:53 PM
Crazyed..27
I Biked Today

Bikes: 1998 Lemond Zurich, Redline Conquest Pro, Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yaganon
I need long sleeve underarmor for playing sports in cold weather. I hear that starter under armor from Walmart are bad quality because once the polyester start to stink, the stink doesn't come out.

I'd like some feedback on whether to make the investment in cold gear or to buy 2 starters at the price of 1 pre-owned cold gear.
Who told you that? If you are playing sports who cares about some stink?
Old 10-18-10, 10:40 PM
zoink

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never heard this before...my friends been wearing the walmart stuff for years and hasn't had any problems. I've got a set of tights I've had for about a year and have been plenty sweaty in and they don't stink.
Old 10-18-10, 10:56 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yaganon

Whoever told you that must have a BO problem!. I wear them all the time, have been for a year or two, including the Target model.

I'm wearing one here (Sunday). If I stunk that bad, would my wife be smiling, would she even ride the tandem with me?

Old 10-19-10, 05:00 AM
arej00dazed

Bikes: '09 Giant Boulder SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one a few years ago for white water rafting. I never really used it until one winter when I went hiking, I decided to throw it on under my clothes to see how it feels. After that day I stared wearing it more. Then when the snow started thawing, I started riding, needing it more. Unfortunately I either couldn't find anymore or just couldnt affrod any more so I wore that particular one all the time. Keep in mind after a few rides it would get washed, but in regards to your question, while it now has many holes in it, it has never kept the funk. So I say go for it, save a few bux.
Old 10-19-10, 07:53 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use base layers from a variety of vendors. No stink at all. Each gets washed after every ride. To wear something again that was soaked in my sweat and is still dirty is disgusting and bad hygiene.
Old 10-19-10, 08:01 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the C2 stuff from Target, and yes, after a bit it does get sort of a funky smell. Not BO, but just a "doesn't smell as clean" kind of smell.

Wash with vinegar in the wash water or Oxi-Clean and it's back to new.If you really want to spend $$ use the stuff for hockey gear. You haven't smelled funk until you've smelled dirty hockey gear.
Old 10-19-10, 08:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I've worn the long sleeve starter compression shirts a couple of times with no funk. I thought it was a great deal for $10 though they're not that warm - have to layer more to cut the wind. Just got the $15 tights from them. We'll see how warm they are or if they hold up, but I was pleased to see that they're long enough for me (I'm 6'2).
Old 10-19-10, 10:05 AM
ahumblecycler

Bikes: Ti roadie; SuperX; SWorks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go straight to cycling specific base layers, and I wear exclusively Craft ... last year's model. Competitive Cyclist spring winter clearance is the time to jump. Craft gear regulates body temp so well. My baselayers will be entering the third winter with no issues ... for me, that is $ well spent.
Old 10-19-10, 03:05 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Get some Sport Wash. It's deer season in a lot of places, so WalMart should have it in sporting goods. It's designed to take human scent out of hunting clothes, including wool, and it works in cold water, so I keep it around for anything delicate that really needs a good cleaning.

So far I've resisted the urge to use it on the toddler...
Old 10-19-10, 04:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Starter is not Under Armour. U A costs a lot, Starter not so much. I've been satisfied with Starter cycle shorts-style underwear worn under recumbent (no padding) shorts and tights. Keeps me nicely dry.
Old 10-19-10, 05:21 PM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know if it's an option for you, but I've been using some base layer stuff that I got at Costco a couple years back and I really, really like the stuff. The brand is Paradox, and as of last weekend my local Costco had it in stock again this year. It's not real tight stuff, more of a comfortably-snug-enough-to-fit-under-other-garments type deal. Cost about $20. Just a thought.