Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ceramic bearings

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ceramic bearings

Old 07-23-13, 06:36 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Ceramic bearings

A friend just came back from an LBS fitting. While there he had some ceramic wheel bearing installed in his rear wheel. He said that the rear wheel seemed to spin forever when up on the stand and he was told that they are much more durable than stock bearings. When I asked if he could tell the difference on the road he said he wasn't really sure. So, I just got to wondering if anyone here is using them and if you can feel a significant difference on the road.
Old 07-23-13, 06:49 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I kind of doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference subjectively because bearing drag is such a minor factor compared with aero drag for example. Maybe if you had a Power Tap or something like that you could tell.
Old 07-23-13, 07:42 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
dailypeloton.com

Manufacturer claims 10 -12 watts. Independent testers reckon 2 - 4 watts. Nice to have, but assuming it's 4 watts that's not a huge return on investment unless you're really into the marginal gains thing.
Old 07-23-13, 07:57 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have not used them, but the claims are real. Ceramic is harder and smoother than the best steel. Ceramic also improves the life of the races since it eliminated galling from metal-to-metal contact.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-23-13, 08:28 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I kind of doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference subjectively because bearing drag is such a minor factor compared with aero drag for example. Maybe if you had a Power Tap or something like that you could tell.
That’s my thought too. I don’t think that improving the wheel bearing’s efficiency will compensate for the remaining friction in the drive train. I understand that the drive train’s friction rob’s 3 -5% of the power. Supposing a rider produced 250 watts of sustained power, the loss of power due to friction in the drive train would be 7.5 to 12.5 watts. Parts that produce friction in the drive train include the chain, bottom bracket bearings, pedal bearings, two jockey pulleys and the wheel bearing. If upgraded wheel bearings could add 12 watts of power the user would have the beginnings of a perpetual motion machine.
Old 07-23-13, 08:33 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
That’s my thought too. I don’t think that improving the wheel bearing’s efficiency will compensate for the remaining friction in the drive train. I understand that the drive train’s friction rob’s 3 -5% of the power. Supposing a rider produced 250 watts of sustained power, the loss of power due to friction in the drive train would be 7.5 to 12.5 watts. Parts that produce friction in the drive train include the chain, bottom bracket bearings, pedal bearings, two jockey pulleys and the wheel bearing. If upgraded wheel bearings could add 12 watts of power the user would have the beginnings of a perpetual motion machine.
Agree with this. The dailypeloton article I linked to says the hubs aren't the best place for your ceramic bearings, though, they suggest you eliminate more friction by going ceramic in the BB. FWIW.
Old 07-23-13, 10:12 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Never discount the effectiveness of the marketing people to create a real placebo-effect.
Old 07-23-13, 10:14 AM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I had my bearings in the bottom bracket replaced with ceramic and I did notice the difference. But I have to turn the crank so I guess it would be easier to feel. That being said it could also be the change from my old bearings. I have noticed as others have said with ceramics in hubs the wheel does seem to spin forever when not under load. And in some non scientific roll down contests on some long down hills it seems as if some of the guys with ceramics are faster and can roll farther. Still even with some high quality cup and cone Dura Ace hubs I have seen wheels spin almost as easily and my Hope road hubs are pretty close.
Old 07-23-13, 10:36 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Ceramic bearings are designed for high speed and high temperature applications and are smoother than the best steel bearings... the best steel bearings are grade 25 which means they have a variance of 25 millionths of an inch while ceramic bearings can be made to a grade 5 level.

If you run grade 25 steel bearings in your bike you should already have wheels that will spin forever and bearing interfaces that are as smooth as butter on glass if everything is properly adjusted.

One should note that a properly adjusted quality hub (with steel bearings) will also spin forever on the stand.

I don't find that rust and corrosion in bearings is a common problem if a bike is not submerged in the ocean and serviced regularly.

All in all, the benefits of running ceramic bearings might have the most appeal to weight weenies and people who need to save a few watts at racing speeds but normal mortals don't need them... consider that the upgrade to ceramic bearings in your hubs and bottom bracket would cost about $180.00 for a straight bearing replacement and closer to $400.00 if you went with cartridge bearings throughout.

You could also get the same power increase by removing one water bottle from your bike.
Old 07-23-13, 10:52 AM
xtrout1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just put Fulcrum red wind XLR dark label with CULT (ceramic) bearings on my Bianchi Infinito. see image.
The bike is faster. 1-2 miles an hour without anymore effort.
I'm really surprised.
Attached Images
Old 07-23-13, 10:57 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A ceramic BB will have a big effect when climbing where your wind and rolling resistance are at the lowest so that's where I put them. I would attack the pedals next and then the rear hub followed by the spiders and the the front last.
Old 07-23-13, 10:58 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrout1
Just put Fulcrum red wind XLR dark label with CULT (ceramic) bearings on my Bianchi Infinito. see image.
I'm really surprised.
1600 gram carbon wheelsets will make you go a little faster.
Old 07-23-13, 11:47 AM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm really surprised.
I would think that much improvement was mostly psychological or loss of weight in the wallet. If your average speed was 15mph and you went to 16.5mph you would have been loosing 22% of you power to your old wheels.
Old 07-23-13, 11:56 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I have them on 3 bikes but I'm no faster. Just like the technology.pp
Old 07-23-13, 01:09 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
So, I just got to wondering if anyone here is using them and if you can feel a significant difference on the road.
This issue has been beat to death. Anyway, I had one of my old bikes up on the stand - the wheels featured 30-year old Suntour hubs. Steel bearings obviously. When spun up by hand, the wheels rotated for several minutes. They would have spun a lot longer if it hadn't been for the air friction from 36 spokes. So how much were the mechanical friction losses? A fraction of a watt?

I suppose I could cut the bearing losses by using superior cup 'n cone bearings instead of the cartridge bearings in these. But it would not be worth the effort. Ceramics are a waste of money.
Old 07-23-13, 02:30 PM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
They do offer chrome steel bearing balls in G10 (and maybe G5?). The original Campagnolo balls (NR/SR) were supposed to be better than G25 also.

Not sure that a harder bearing is desireable, at least from race life point of view. I'd sure rather replace the balls than the races in a cup and cone system...
Old 07-23-13, 02:41 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
This issue has been beat to death.
FWIW when I did a search on this topic I got a lot of technical/academic info and virtually no "real world" experience reports. I was just looking for the experiential end of it all.
Old 07-23-13, 02:49 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm really surprised.
It is a well known fact that a Bianchi in celeste is 5 mph faster than any of the fancy colours they now do them in.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-23-13, 02:53 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
This issue has been beat to death. Anyway, I had one of my old bikes up on the stand - the wheels featured 30-year old Suntour hubs. Steel bearings obviously. When spun up by hand, the wheels rotated for several minutes. They would have spun a lot longer if it hadn't been for the air friction from 36 spokes. So how much were the mechanical friction losses? A fraction of a watt?

I suppose I could cut the bearing losses by using superior cup 'n cone bearings instead of the cartridge bearings in these. But it would not be worth the effort. Ceramics are a waste of money.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Superior Cup and Cone? Isn't that just an opinion that seems to be under great debate?

https://www.livestrong.com/article/24...-hub-bearings/

https://www.trails.com/list_30748_bes...-bearings.html

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...ramic-bearings
Old 07-23-13, 02:57 PM
Mobile 155

Originally Posted by stapfam
It is a well known fact that a Bianchi in celeste is 5 mph faster than any of the fancy colours they now do them in.
I like the fact they have come back with that color on the New Bianchi. I would consider buying a Bianchi frame if I could get the idea past my wife. On my TV the Radio Shack Treks had a color very close to Celeste, but that could simply be the TV even if it is HD. However let it be know I tend to be Blue/Green color blind in the lighter shades.
Old 07-23-13, 03:07 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
He said that the rear wheel seemed to spin forever when up on the stand
He'll be showing off his hydraulic shifting and electronic brakes next.
Good for keeping the LBS going so you can get a bottle of chain lube or a patch kit when you need it w/o paying for shipping.

If you are concerned w/ hub bearing life/performance when was the last time your hubs were overhauled?
If you have decent quality conventional cup & cone hubs an annual service w/ cleaning & fresh quality grease will "spin forever" as well.
I rode a front hub this AM that I've had since the early '70's, it's probably the smoothest I own.

If I were concerned about a watt or ten I'd lube my chain and check my tire pressure more often.

-Bandera
Old 07-23-13, 03:31 PM
bruce19

I went to see the owner of my LBS today to ask him about ceramic wheel bearings. He is also a friend and sponsor of our local cycling club. His shop is not the one that serviced my friend's wheel bearings. He said ceramic bearings were not worth the cost. He did not know about my friend. So, his remark was not in reaction to anything but my question.

I have a set of Mavic Aksium's that I bought at his shop at the beginning of last year so they have not needed service yet.
Old 07-23-13, 03:33 PM
xtrout1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes. Its true.

Stapfam, As a youth I grew up (went to school) in Worcester, England.
My Moms a war bride, married one of those yanks back in the 40's.

Cheers,
Old 07-23-13, 03:53 PM
LarryMelman

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
I have a set of Mavic Aksium's that I bought at his shop at the beginning of last year so they have not needed service yet.
There is a thread in the Mechanics forum about maintaining (removing, cleaning, lubing) the freehub in Mavic wheels, which is an annoyance that is specific to Mavic. But I am not aware of any other maintenance required for wheels. (i.e. "annual service w/ cleaning & fresh quality grease") The "A-class" wheels that came with my bike, don't appear to have any way to take them apart. I'm confused.
Old 07-23-13, 03:54 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LarryMelman
There is a thread in the Mechanics forum about maintaining (removing, cleaning, lubing) the freehub in Mavic wheels, which is an annoyance that is specific to Mavic. But I am not aware of any other maintenance required for wheels. (i.e. "annual service w/ cleaning & fresh quality grease") The "A-class" wheels that came with my bike, don't appear to have any way to take them apart. I'm confused.
What are the hubs?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.