Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Tales from the workshop - start 'em young

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-13, 09:43 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

At the community bike workshop we had a kid about 7 or 8 come in the other day pushing his BMX bike with a flat rear tyre. The tread was just canvas and he couldn't understand how his tyre blew just riding along the road.

He wanted us to fix it with a new tyre and tube but only had about £3.50 (about $5). The boss said we weren't allowed to do repairs but if he wanted to fix it himself in our workshop he could have them for that price. He looked a bit worried as he didn't have a clue what to do so we gave him advice as he did it.

Exit one kid looking pleased as punch that he'd done his first bike repair himself and saved spending money at the LBS.

It's sad that, in this electronic age and throw-away culure, youngsters seem to be losing the ability to do basic practical tasks, but at least one kid now has some idea.
Old 08-13-13, 09:52 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
We see a lot of younger children at our co-op who are all pretty eager to get their hands dirty.

My youngest daughter has been working on her own bike since she was 8, she keeps it clean, lubed, and has built other bicycles up from the frame with a little supervision and checking on my part.

She is planning on wasting these mad skills by becoming a doctor.
Old 08-13-13, 09:53 AM
overthehillmedi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let me guess, the young lad had a couple of temporary uncles hovering around while he fixed his tire.
Old 08-13-13, 10:00 AM
on2wheelsks

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2014 Secteur Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
At the community bike workshop we had a kid about 7 or 8 come in the other day pushing his BMX bike with a flat rear tyre. The tread was just canvas and he couldn't understand how his tyre blew just riding along the road.

He wanted us to fix it with a new tyre and tube but only had about £3.50 (about $5). The boss said we weren't allowed to do repairs but if he wanted to fix it himself in our workshop he could have them for that price. He looked a bit worried as he didn't have a clue what to do so we gave him advice as he did it.

Exit one kid looking pleased as punch that he'd done his first bike repair himself and saved spending money at the LBS.

It's sad that, in this electronic age and throw-away culure, youngsters seem to be losing the ability to do basic practical tasks, but at least one kid now has some idea.
That is a cool story, and a great life lesson for the young man!
Old 08-13-13, 10:09 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
We see a lot of younger children at our co-op who are all pretty eager to get their hands dirty.

My youngest daughter has been working on her own bike since she was 8, she keeps it clean, lubed, and has built other bicycles up from the frame with a little supervision and checking on my part.

It is common knowledge that if you can do bike repairs and build up a bike, you can perform brain surgery. Still, I'm certain you are proud of your girl. As for the original poster, I'm happy that children can find heroes among their neighbors rather than sport "heroes" who are merely self centered rich kids.
Old 08-13-13, 10:17 AM
Yankeetowner

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1; 1989 Klein Quantum, 2013 Giant Defy 2, & Mountain Bike: 2013 Cannondale Six

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"It's sad that, in this electronic age and throw-away culure, youngsters seem to be losing the ability to do basic practical tasks, but at least one kid now has some idea."

It's not just today's culture. My father (born in Scotland) was a machinist in a coal mine and steel mill, but I was never able to learn basic mechanical skills. It certainly would come in handy with respect to both of my hobbies, boating/fishing and biking. Ironically, since he passed away I now have most of his old tools that I don't really know how to use.
Old 08-13-13, 11:14 AM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
In my household none of the kids got a bike without learning how to do basic repairs, change flats, keep the drive train clean and lubed, etc. It was the same with getting a driver's license. They couldn't take the car out of the driveway until they demonstrated how to change a flat and check and add oil and/or other fluids. Both kids also played instruments (violin, bass, guitar). With each instrument instruction was given on how to clean and maintain it, change strings, etc. I think there are still folks around who instill these things in their kids. How many? I wouldn't venture a guess.
Old 08-13-13, 11:18 AM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I keep a pretty well stocked general work shop. I don't think you can push your kids into mechanical projects. But I encouraged use of the workshop and never complained when tools were misplaced or not put away properly. They (2 boys, 2 girls) could have done more in my mind but I can only offer support for anyone interested.
This has been extended to neighbor kids as well. I love to see kids interested in fixing, repairing, building stuff. Very cool. I could never get enough of that stuff.
Old 08-13-13, 11:47 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Yeah, start 'em young:

Old 08-13-13, 12:14 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by NOS88
In my household none of the kids got a bike without learning how to do basic repairs, change flats, keep the drive train clean and lubed, etc. It was the same with getting a driver's license. They couldn't take the car out of the driveway until they demonstrated how to change a flat and check and add oil and/or other fluids. Both kids also played instruments (violin, bass, guitar). With each instrument instruction was given on how to clean and maintain it, change strings, etc. I think there are still folks around who instill these things in their kids. How many? I wouldn't venture a guess.
My dad was the same way... if you were going to ride it or drive it you also had to know how to take care of it.

My youngest daughter has always had a keen interest in how things work and spent a lot of time in my shop at my elbow watching and if I handed her a jumble of parts and an item that was intact she could put that jumble together.

We were building wheels at the co-op one day and she looked at what I was doing and said, "that is a 36 three cross wheel" and I said "yes it is, do you want to lace it up ?" She laced it perfectly in no time flat and then proceeded to build it with a little supervision and only struggled when the tension on the spoke nipples got high enough that her hands hurt.

She got this bike when she was 8 and don't think I ever had to touch it to clean it, lube it, or make sure everything was running at 100%... this was taken after several years of ownership and it only got one little scuff on the top tube and handlebar when she went down on some gravel. The first thing she checked was to see if her bike was okay.

Although she has outgrown this 1973 Raleigh Fireball she has said that we need to keep it for her kids as it is the best bike ever... she knows how much restoration work went into building it.

She treats her new bicycle the same way, if it gets any dust or dirt on it she grabs the cloth and makes sure it is pristine and is an expert when it comes to how to lube and clean chains.

Old 08-13-13, 01:21 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My youngest daughter . . . She treats her new bicycle the same way, if it gets any dust or dirt on it she grabs the cloth and makes sure it is pristine and is an expert when it comes to how to lube and clean chains.
When she gets out of med school (internship, residency, etc.) I'll sign up to be her patient. I'd feel better knowing my physician had some practical mechanical ability and the understanding of the importance of preventative maintenance (as opposed to some whiz kid who spends half their time gaming or otherwise wasting time on the computer . . . wait a minute, I'm on the . . . never mind).
Old 08-13-13, 01:50 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
When she gets out of med school (internship, residency, etc.) I'll sign up to be her patient. I'd feel better knowing my physician had some practical mechanical ability and the understanding of the importance of preventative maintenance (as opposed to some whiz kid who spends half their time gaming or otherwise wasting time on the computer . . . wait a minute, I'm on the . . . never mind).
She wants to specialize in pediatric medicine.
Old 08-13-13, 03:51 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
She wants to specialize in pediatric medicine.
Even better.
Old 08-13-13, 03:58 PM
CenturionIM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wish I started off young, every time I am struggling to install new tires and do other repair tasks. I would also love to have the skill to fix up other people's bikes. good work sire.
Old 08-13-13, 04:13 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Just watch 'em so they don't crossthread those pedals into those expensive alloy cranks like a friend's kid did the other day.

I'll bet he won't make that mistake again anyway.
Old 08-13-13, 05:13 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by NOS88
Even better.
I figure she can take care of me in my old age...

From a very young age she expressed that this was what she wanted to do (medicine) but she also recognized that having other skill sets were really important and thought she might be able to work as a bicycle mechanic to fund some of her expenses and she does have the aptitude for doing this kind of work. She really isn't into cars and knows she can cycle anywhere she needs to go.

Every kid should get the opportunity and be given the responsibility to take care of their own things no matter what that is and if it is a bicycle you need to know how to fix a flat, make adjustments, and make sure it is kept clean and is in safe / rideable condition.

When you do this for kids, or anyone... they don't learn anything and besides the skills it teaches responsibility and gives one a sense of ownership. We run a program at the co-op for at risk youth and they learn how to build up a bicycle in great detail and when they are finished they get to keep a bicycle that they have put some sweat in to and you can really see the sense of pride when they know the job has been done well.

Although it might be a little controversial, my daughters will be getting shooting lessons because if you like eating wildfowl (and they do), you need to put in the effort for that as well.

If you catch the fish, you need to know how to clean it.

My dad taught me carpentry and auto mechanics (he was a master technician)... it has saved me immense amounts of money by being able to fix things that often come with a huge bill and of course made me much more useful around the house.

If I broke a window, I fixed the window.

Old 08-13-13, 06:16 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My daughters fiance calls me to change the flat on his car, he doesn't know which end of a wrench is which. However his long term income potential is a lot higher than mine ever was - he will be able to afford to get his bike fixed. Maybe mechanical ability is not all it's cracked up to be.
Old 08-13-13, 06:21 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
My daughters fiance calls me to change the flat on his car, he doesn't know which end of a wrench is which. However his long term income potential is a lot higher than mine ever was - he will be able to afford to get his bike fixed. Maybe mechanical ability is not all it's cracked up to be.
Earning potential is important. Especially when we're thinking about our off springs. Yet, he'll need someone with the know how to fix what he pays to have fixed. I don't see them as mutually exclusive. Some folks do both. This is not a knock on those who don't have mechanical ability. I'm just always in awe when around someone with very good mechanical ability, sense, intuition, and skill.
Old 08-13-13, 06:25 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
When you do this for kids, or anyone... they don't learn anything and besides the skills it teaches responsibility and gives one a sense of ownership. We run a program at the co-op for at risk youth and they learn how to build up a bicycle in great detail and when they are finished they get to keep a bicycle that they have put some sweat in to and you can really see the sense of pride when they know the job has been done well.
Good for you Sixty Fiver ! I'm always impressed with people who put time in for charities and altruistic ventures like this !
Old 08-13-13, 08:07 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Last year, I helped my eldest grandson who was 7 at the time, rebuild a curb find junker.

Next summer, it will be his younger brother's turn, and he may have outgrown this bike by then, so maybe I'll be helping him with his next bike.
Bikes don't come from stores in our family, they come from dumpsters and collection day finds.