Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 03-24-15, 05:11 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by zizou
Ive heard Rob Hayles mention in commentary that some 6 day racers have a quater lemon under their skinsuit that they can bite/suck through the fabric to prevent dry mouth. However cannot find any reference to this practice online.
www.cyclingnews.com news and analysis
Old 03-25-15, 07:21 AM
myth001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Thx. Gotta try this sometime. Normally I leave my sleeves for spits/nose drips when I feel the need to. Perhaps can use right for intake, and left for out... LOL.

BTW, tried energy chewies after the race events last night, and they seem to be great to moisten the dry mouth.

And, got harsh cough after one of the races, so ate some Clementine right afterwards. That worked charmingly.
Old 03-25-15, 12:14 PM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely going to try this next time we do a power hour!
Old 03-26-15, 05:09 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myth001
Thx. Gotta try this sometime. Normally I leave my sleeves for spits/nose drips when I feel the need to. Perhaps can use right for intake, and left for out... LOL.
I thought that was what gloves were for?

Not sure i'd be that comfortable trying to get hold of a lemon in my sleeve during any race other than as the madison resting rider . In training, you can just go get a drink..
Old 03-26-15, 09:08 AM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
I thought that was what gloves were for?
I sweat buckets, so I like my gloves dry to absorb the sweat.

Talking about sweating, often I've had sweat dripping into my eyes as I'm riding. In training I can slow down and clean up, but gets hard in races. Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-15, 12:36 PM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Halo sweat band. Or bushier eyebrows
Old 03-26-15, 01:18 PM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Halo sweat band. Or bushier eyebrows
LOL, bushier is the problem here. They hold it, hold it, hold it. And then drain the entire stock in to the eyes!
Old 03-26-15, 03:58 PM
Velocirapture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive heard of people putting a slanted stripe of chapstick on their foreheads, (i guess sort of eye-brow shaped), to channel the sweat down the sides rather than into the eyes.
Halo head bands work very well though
Old 03-26-15, 07:58 PM
myth001

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These look nice. Has anyone tried these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SweatbandProduct.jpg (47.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 03-26-15, 09:12 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by myth001
These look nice. Has anyone tried these?
It works as advertised, but I find it to be a bit uncomfortable.
Old 03-30-15, 08:53 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whats the rule on passing on the Cote? I would think this is not a wise idea. I was racing in an elimination race this weekend. On a bell lap I was glued to the black line. I was caught off-guard pretty suddenly when someone behind me who didn't want to get eliminated, brushed shoulders with me as they sprinted past me on the Cote and wedged back in front of a bunch of other people ahead of me. I guess my question is, is this allowed? Thankfully I didn't get eliminated that round, but it seemed super sketchy. I guess I wasn't exactly counting on someone passing me on the left when I am riding the inner-most portion of the track!
Old 03-30-15, 09:29 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by nspace
Whats the rule on passing on the Cote? I would think this is not a wise idea. I was racing in an elimination race this weekend. On a bell lap I was glued to the black line. I was caught off-guard pretty suddenly when someone behind me who didn't want to get eliminated, brushed shoulders with me as they sprinted past me on the Cote and wedged back in front of a bunch of other people ahead of me. I guess my question is, is this allowed? Thankfully I didn't get eliminated that round, but it seemed super sketchy. I guess I wasn't exactly counting on someone passing me on the left when I am riding the inner-most portion of the track!
absolutely not allowed. that person should have been relegated/eliminated. one is allowed to ride on the blue band if necessary, but one is not allowed to use it to advance position.
Old 03-30-15, 11:10 AM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was my thought. Officials didn't say jack ****, despite the fact that it happened at the finish line, right in front of the officials.

That is good to know! Thanks.
Old 03-30-15, 11:16 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

officials don't always know what to enforce.
Old 03-30-15, 12:08 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
officials don't always know what to enforce.
I think this is spot on. Additionally there may be a few factors. A) Larger outdoor track as we have in Kissena at 400m is very hard to see issues beyond the home stretch. B) Too few officials can usually be part of this issue. C) Officials may not be the "REGULAR" track officials. So as QUEERPUNK said plays in. D) Lastly, as I have seen many times the officials are working on other things, scoring etc and drop the ball.

My suggestion is if this ever happens, just open your mouth BEFORE the next event etc to te officials. There may well be others that saw what you did and support your view. I do sometimes think that things are allowed to slide at the Cat 4/5 level.
Old 03-30-15, 12:16 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or are looking at something else. They're only human.

If somebody is a habitual offender I'd politely mention it to an official and ask them to keep an eye out for it and warn/relegate that individual. If it's a more beginner race, I'd try to have the conversation with that person about why it's a bad idea before talking to an official.
Old 03-30-15, 12:43 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All good points. And FTR, I wasn't up in arms about it. Nothing bad happened on the track thankfully. I didn't even process it really until after the race and it got me thinking. I was pretty sure that it wasn't allowed and just wanted to know.

More than a few people fined this weekend for swearing out on the track.
Old 03-30-15, 01:02 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Originally Posted by wens
Or are looking at something else. They're only human.
That too.

At the track I race at, officials are organized by a guy who's a UCI Commissaire, so he is meticulous about roles and distributing responsibilities. I take that for granted sometimes, but yeah, some other tracks, especially with grassroots racing, just have one person and a notepad at the finish line.
Old 03-30-15, 01:32 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree for sure. But I don't know what category this falls into: 6-7 officials hanging out at the start/finish where it happened (at any given time). There is lots of opportunities to catch infractions IMO. Again, not mad or complaining, I just want unsafe people to be called out where appropriate. I really don't want a broken collarbone

Old 03-30-15, 02:58 PM
Velocirapture

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree for sure. But I don't know what category this falls into: 6-7 officials hanging out at the start/finish where it happened (at any given time). There is lots of opportunities to catch infractions IMO. Again, not mad or complaining, I just want unsafe people to be called out where appropriate. I really don't want a broken collarbone
Unfortunately, even with half a dozen officials around the track, if the commisairre at that spot was looking higher up the banking, they'd easily miss action lower down. Its why tv refs are being given more weight these days.

Totally agree on nipping the unsafe riding in the bud. Could be worth approaching the rider at fault directly but quietly in a non-confrontational way about it upfront. If they get difficult, then go and speak to the Comm. Just my view .

I definitely wouldn't keep quiet about it. Of the four 'proper' track accidents i've had, 3 of them were due to other riders riding badly (granted, they were all u16 - we have very small numbers, so there is often just cat A, and Cat B + u16). Its just not worth it. If dangerous riders don't take you out, its going to be someone else down the line. Keeping quite doesn't stop broken bones/ ambulances etc.
Old 03-30-15, 04:41 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a good idea. I unfortunately didn't get his number in the heat of the moment, directly after a sprint. That is probably a good way of handling it next time.
Old 03-30-15, 05:02 PM
i_am_death

Bikes: Colossi Low Pro Ltd. / IRO mk. V pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
small question.....
...storing tubs between races....let some air out, or keep them full?
Old 03-30-15, 08:00 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Thats a good idea. I unfortunately didn't get his number in the heat of the moment, directly after a sprint. That is probably a good way of handling it next time.
also, don't have that conversation directly after a sprint, or right after a race.

wait till your heartrate goes down and the adrenaline subsides.
Old 03-30-15, 09:35 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by i_am_death
small question.....
...storing tubs between races....let some air out, or keep them full?
I'm curious about this, too.

I've never bothered to deflate them, but I've seen others do it.
Old 03-30-15, 09:42 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yea... that's not allowed and pretty sketchy. If he was still below the black coming into the corner, there's a good chance of a crash. Dude should have been automatically relegated; even if he was forced to the blue line, there was no reason to pass. Given it was an elimination, he should have simply been the one eliminated rather than the last across the line.

But if the officials didn't see it directly (say it was on the back stretch and nobody was looking or it was behind the porta-potties), then you are SOL. Stuff happens sometimes, but just race your race and be glad everyone kept rubber side down. If that happens to you again and the officials don't call it, just bring it to their attention after the race and let them know what is going on. If they have eyes, just mentioning it will put it at the forefront of their mind and put them on the lookout.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.