Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Bike comparison: Norco Search XR carbon Giant TCX SLR

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-18, 06:13 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts

For a mix of road/gravel bikepacking set up which way would you guys go?

Norco Search Xr carbon ultegra $3,700 (I want 650b but on the fence) the stock wheels/tire combo isn't a bad deal.

or a customized 2018 Giant TCX slr with Cantu 650b Riot wheels with gravelking 650x42's or maybe WTB horizon. No real need for Horizon, so the 650x42 gravelking sheds a lot of rotating weight plus the 650bx42 drops the BB/toptube even more, which is better on the TCX geo. Also swapping the FSA 46/36 to a Praxis Zante carbon 48/32 I'd probably swap the bars to EA70 AX or EC70 AX. $3,500 with carbon bars $3400 with Al. bars

what are the in/out comments arguments for going either direction here?
Old 03-19-18, 07:26 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I guess it comes down to two things: do you want a carbon frame or alum frame, and what do you ride the most? - road, gravel or bikepacking.
Old 03-19-18, 08:26 AM
Metieval

So which of the above 2 setups/bikes would you choose and why? If it was for endurance riding would it influence you one way or the other?

I am fishing, because I think I am cable of making a choice based on others experience. Without the need to be sold on something others think I need.
Old 03-19-18, 10:06 AM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
I would assume the Norco has the more relaxed geo of the two and since you didn't mention racing, I would go for the Norco which I would also think would be more comfy on long rides. Just looking at the frames, I think the Norco frame is better than the alum Giant too (mostly because I haven't read anything about the Giant TCX in alum).

You may consider looking at the Giant TCX advanced (carbon frame). I have heard a lot of good things about the comfort and handling of this bike - and they all attribute these good qualities to the carbon and how Giant layed it up on this frame.
Old 03-19-18, 05:25 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by tdilf
I would assume the Norco has the more relaxed geo of the two and since you didn't mention racing, I would go for the Norco which I would also think would be more comfy on long rides. Just looking at the frames, I think the Norco frame is better than the alum Giant too (mostly because I haven't read anything about the Giant TCX in alum).

You may consider looking at the Giant TCX advanced (carbon frame). I have heard a lot of good things about the comfort and handling of this bike - and they all attribute these good qualities to the carbon and how Giant layed it up on this frame.
Good point..... I wonder if the TCX will have much perceivable wheel flop with a 650b x 42 or 47