Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bad hip, looking for low cost/low maintenance FS bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 12-08-18, 02:06 PM
vinnyvincent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,
My GF is buying me an MTB for Christmas and I'm wondering which one I should direct her to.
I'm not going to be doing anything crazy, mostly beginner to intermediate single track, with things like tree roots. No jumps or anything. I just want a FS because I have a bad hip and a bad knee.
I have been road biking for a while, but don't know much about mountian biking. I'm wondering if I should get an air shock VS a coil shock mainly. The difference seems to be a few hundred dollars.

This one is a bikesdirect motobecane fantom 29er for 825. It has a ROCKSHOX RS-Monarch RL-C2 190mm rear and a RS 30Gold fork. Also has a 10 speed Deore rear derailler.

I'm wondering if I really need something like that for light off roading and could go with something like this fantom DS comp 29er for 699 with rear coil shock, FSX 10 speed and SUNTOUR SF15-XCM fork.

I realize I could probably get something better used, but I prefer BD because it's easier for her to order there and they have my XL size. I'm wondering if I'd really be able to tell the difference between the two with the riding I'm doing, and which would be less maintenance.
Old 12-09-18, 06:43 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
At the lower end air shocks are much better than coils, you will definitely feel the difference. But the specs are all off on that one. It is not 190mm suspension, not sure but is not more than 140mm, maybe 120mm. Motobecanes are fair for the price, but only fair. maintenance should be about the same.
Old 12-10-18, 04:19 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
190mm is the stroke length of the shock, not the rear travel.

Regardless of coil-vs air, the DS comp is just a better spec'ed bike, and IMO absolutely worth the extra money. To be honest, the Comp is about as low end as I think is worth even considering for a FS bike. I think even an inexperience rider will notice the difference between those two bikes on any trail that is not paved.

Not only is the suspension at both ends better on the Comp, but with a coil (on the x4) you may not even be getting the right spring with it for your weight, so you may need to lay out more money for the right spring. In theory, coil is less maintenance if all else is equal, but in comparing those two rear shocks, all else is NOT equal.
Old 12-11-18, 10:40 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Looking for low cost/low maintenance FS bike

Bikes Direct pricing may be cheap enough to just replace , buy another,
when it needs much in the way of bearing or fork, replacement...
Old 12-11-18, 08:42 PM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys,
I'm leaning toward the more expensive bike, however...
Both bikes appear to be the same frame. Would it be accurate to say the the suspension could be upgraded later on down the line identically on both bikes? My thought process is that the bike ould cost less for her since it's a gift, but later on down the road I could use my own money to upgrade the suspension.
Old 12-11-18, 08:56 PM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For example, could I just have her order something like this less expensive one(but very similar frame) and later upgrade the suspension?

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fsx-275ltd.htm
Old 12-12-18, 07:59 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
Thanks guys,
I'm leaning toward the more expensive bike, however...
Both bikes appear to be the same frame. Would it be accurate to say the the suspension could be upgraded later on down the line identically on both bikes? My thought process is that the bike ould cost less for her since it's a gift, but later on down the road I could use my own money to upgrade the suspension.
Buying the cheaper one and then upgrading the shock and fork to be the same as the more expensive one will end up costing you many hundreds of dolllars more than if you just buy the more expensive one to start with. And you will still be stuck with the rest of the lower speced parts.
Old 12-12-18, 08:39 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

Buying the cheaper one and then upgrading the shock and fork to be the same as the more expensive one will end up costing you many hundreds of dolllars more than if you just buy the more expensive one to start with. And you will still be stuck with the rest of the lower speced parts.
^^^This.

Stay away from the crap that bikes direct sells.
Old 12-12-18, 08:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
For example, could I just have her order something like this less expensive one(but very similar frame) and later upgrade the suspension?

Save up to 60% off new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity Shimano Full Suspension new 650b and 27.5 Mountain Bikes
I would repeat my comment regarding the first cheaper option, except you would have a lesser frame and even worse parts.

I would not assume these are similar frames. Outside of being high/forward single pivots, they look very differently constructed.
Old 12-16-18, 10:26 PM
vinnyvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks again everyone, I went ahead and ordered the more expensive fantom comp DS with the air shocks based on everyone's advice. Can't wait until it shows up and I can hit some trails!
Old 12-19-18, 09:48 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a good start into this morass called mountain biking. As you get used to the trails and your preferred riding style, you'll be adjusting things like dampening and air pressures.

Do you get a shock pump with the bike? If not, eBay is your friend. Air suspension is easily the most tunable. So you have some experimenting.

The other thing that really impacts knees and hips are saddle height and shape - so you'll likely be swapping stuff there over time... Sounds like you'll be spending most of your time in the saddle... make it all fit right.

And pedal selection. Good pedals in the right size can help with foot placement and security. Squirmy pedals can cause issues ...

Have fun