Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Hauladay - Stem

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 11:28 PM
robin-d

Bikes: cargo-midtail ebike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

Anyone know how I can tighten up the 'play' in stem of my hauladay?

I'm familiar on how to lessen this on a full sized bike (tighten threadless stem bolt cap) but on the bikefriday instructions, there seems to be a lower 'hex bold' that clamps down onto whatever is holding the fork up. It also says to not adjust this. So I did (experimentally) to no effect.

Video link or photos of anyone that has done this would be super appreciated. Thank you.

-Robin
Old 03-11-19, 01:55 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Here's a video which shows the basic operation of a Bike Friday mast, but there's a secondary adjustment you may not be aware of. There's a bolt part-way up the stem that clamps onto the upper mast. That's adjustable..you can loosen the bolt and raise or lower the mast an inch or so. If the bolt isn't tight enough or the mast isn't sunk down in there deep enough, you'll get a wiggle.

Loosen the bolt, check that the mast is in there properly and crank it tight again. I'll bet that's where your problem is.

https://youtu.be/DOvXZ1TinR4
Old 03-11-19, 10:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the vid is from threaded headset fork era ,

they now use a threadless headset .. the preload uses 2 clamping bands , around the fork..

Upper one is fixed, once tightened , the lower one is using a conic ring on the inside of the similar conic band clamp ....
As you tighten the lower band's clamping bolt it gets wider , forcing the inner ring downward
because the upper clamp band is fixed , blocking the outer part of the lower band clamp, from moving upward ..

Need a Video? Walter at the Company has a link to one if you ask via Email.. if DIY search does not find it..

Old 03-17-19, 11:23 PM
robin-d

Bikes: cargo-midtail ebike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
the vid is from threaded headset fork era ,

they now use a threadless headset .. the preload uses 2 clamping bands , around the fork..

Upper one is fixed, once tightened , the lower one is using a conic ring on the inside of the similar conic band clamp ....
As you tighten the lower band's clamping bolt it gets wider , forcing the inner ring downward
because the upper clamp band is fixed , blocking the outer part of the lower band clamp, from moving upward ..

Need a Video? Walter at the Company has a link to one if you ask via Email.. if DIY search does not find it..

They must be busy. I emailed twice earlier this week and haven't heard from them.

Would you happen to have the link? Would you mind messaging to me if it is not for public release?
Old 03-18-19, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Google is your gateway to youtube,

No, I don't have a link, saved for your convenience.. ...
Old 03-18-19, 03:53 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Google is your gateway to youtube,

No, I don't have a link, saved for your convenience.. ...
Don't be a dick, Robert. You mentioned a link, he can't get an answer from Bike Friday so he asked if you could help. Helping is good for the soul.
Old 03-19-19, 09:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

You youngsters got this technology thing better than I

... an old retired guy, and Veteran of a War invented for belligerent purposes..