Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

S2L vs M6L

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

S2L vs M6L

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-19, 01:55 AM
bmxfolderbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
S2L vs M6L

Hello everyone, I’m back after a long hiatus.

i recently bought a 2018 Black Edition Lacquer with Ti extremities. 6speed.

My questions:

1. Is it normal there’s sprocket sound when pedaling the M6L? The 2017 S2L don’t have it, only when I coast the sprocket sound turns on.

2. Still getting my head figure out the gears. Is it ok, I switch + and - while I’m in 2?

3. The M feels narrow, I prefer the wider S bar, much control. Are the older M bar narrow too?
TIA.

The M puts me in a beach cruiser position, don’t mind though, very comfy, the gears help a lot tackling different inclination.
Old 03-27-19, 09:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One thing you need to consider is the bar's end hitting the ground when folded down.

Adding Ergon GR3 grips adds a bit of width , Left one does touch the ground when folded down.

M3L
Old 03-27-19, 09:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

the 6 is a combination, 3 internal gears and the 2 cogs half step the wider spaced IGH ratios ...
so a zig zag pattern results ..
Math help @ sheldon gears
maybe your noise is the pulleys in the back?

Old 03-27-19, 12:46 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
The "sprocket sound" is in the IGH, which you didn't have on your 2-speed. It's particularly pronounced in one of the 3 gears, I don't remember which, it's all normal.

The right shifter controls the 3 gears in your hub, the left switches the derailleur between 2 outboard sprockets. The way to think of it is you have a 3-speed with a high and low range. You can switch ranges/sprockets + or - no matter what gear the hub is in.
Old 03-27-19, 07:14 PM
bmxfolderbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I thought I was shifting wrong and the gears are broken. Yes, some gears are louder than the other, thanks for pointing that out Joe.

Are they really that hard to shift? Especially the right shifter—I always think, "did that settled correctly?" and push the lever again, "Oh, I think it's fine."

Bob, I looked at Ergon grips, the stock grips almost touches the ground and I already added wheels extender and bigger mini wheels too, I do a lot of carting mode, so Ergon is a no for me. The S2L has a lot of clearance, love that bike. It's more agile, but I need the additional gears on some situations, the M6 is a comfy to ride on longer trips. Love both.

Will post pics when the weather cooperates.
Old 03-28-19, 02:47 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bmxfolderbike
Are they really that hard to shift? Especially the right shifter—I always think, "did that settled correctly?" and push the lever again,
With hub gears you should sligthly stop powering the pedals during shifting. There's most of the time no need to stop pedaling (while sometimes it is) but a powertrain unter full power is basically unable to shift and that's why pulling the right (Hub-gear) shifter is hard in this case: It is your own power that hinders you. Pedaling w/o force is ok most of the time. You'll get used to it quickly.
Old 03-28-19, 05:05 AM
bmxfolderbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 03-28-19, 10:48 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

That is a rad Brommie!
Old 03-28-19, 03:36 PM
fietsbob
Banned

your M is the ls the latest model mine is older , so I cannot say anything about your bars..

narrow is just how the bars are, flat comfort grips without the bar end are GP1.. one in leather
Old 03-28-19, 11:11 PM
bmxfolderbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here’s the S2L

Old 03-29-19, 12:14 AM
bmxfolderbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The noise is apparently gone. I think it needs a good break in period. Rode it for hours yesterday. Shifters are getting smoother as days goes on. My head instinctively figured how to use the gears—going to the stem is up/harder to pedal and vice versa.

The difference between the two is the ride quality: the M6 is a bit softer, there's no indication if it's firm or not on the shocks. I also adjusted the M bar a bit towards my body, it lessened the twitchiness. Adjusted the seat too—I point it a bit upward. Now my back and butt is happy on longer rides.

Now I'm a firm believer a couple of cm makes a great and enjoyable ride.
Old 03-29-19, 10:51 AM
Joe Remi

The '18 uses the standard-across-the-range shock now, which may be softer than what came on your S2L. Also the ti extremities should soften the ride, and the M bar will have a slightly less "connected to the tire" feel which may soften things a bit.
Old 03-29-19, 11:28 PM
bmxfolderbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe,

Oh I didn't know about the shock. The Ti helps, but it's more evident when folding/unfolding. I sometimes overshoot unfolding, too light. My only minor dislike is the M bar, I could have gotten a few more inches wider and be happy, but you can't have everything! I feel like riding a Dutch bike (more or less), a bit upright for my height (173cm). Otherwise, it's awesome.
Old 03-30-19, 12:45 AM
Joe Remi

You might try the regular Ergons without barends. They're not actually wider than the stock grips, but in my experience the paddle shape makes them feel that way.
Old 03-30-19, 05:39 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You could change out your M bars for an S style straight bar. This way you can actually have a wider bar as it will sit higher off the ground when in the folded position. You lose the sit up position but gain wider bars.
Old 04-05-19, 04:32 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts

Brompton JK Mid-Rise Handlebar

https://portapedalbike.com/catalog/b...ise-handlebar/