Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cargo Bibs and a Technical Tee?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 11:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

I don't suppose anyone here has yet bought into the idea put forth by Rapha - cargo bibs with pockets and replacing the jersey with a lightweight and looser fitting technical tee.

The idea has merit completely apart from the company which thought it up and what anyone thinks about their products. A tee is more socially acceptable off the bike but more importantly, bibs are inherently more stable than a jersey and contents would not bounce on rough surfaces as much.

I think it is a great idea for gravel or bikepacking and would be tempted to try them if I thought I would get use out of them. They are rated to 30°C which isn't going to cut it during Georgia summers.

https://road.cc/content/review/24215...rgo-bib-shorts

Cadence made a similar product, the Adventure Bibs, but they seem to be out of business.

Anyone know of something similar?

-Tim-
Old 05-01-19, 11:22 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

I found these....

Yeti Enduro: https://www.backcountry.com/yeti-cyc...bib-shorts-men

Aerotech (gel pad though): https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/atd-...ib-shorts.html

Eliel: https://www.elielcycling.com/collect...go-bibs-shorts

-Tim-
Old 05-01-19, 11:53 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
This is what I've been wearing now that I'm riding faster and further. I don't have a body shape that's what you'd call "aero," so I'm a huge fan of the cargo bibs. Better than looking like the Michelin Man! I've got one from The Black Bibs and I've got my eyes on a cheap set from Spexcel. I've been wearing cheap "cool tech" tees from Wally World but I might get a MTB jersey for more articulation. My challenge, it seems, will be to find cargo bibs with minimal padding for riding on leather saddles.
Old 05-01-19, 12:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
You know how much I like t-shirts.

I also know how much you dislike most homebrew solutions, but they work so well for me I can't help but post

I printed off a couple of the pics of Evan Murphy's fridge shorts and gave them to my seamstress along with a pair of regular bibs and an old jersey. Couple days later I had my own pair of cargo bibs for a tiny fraction of the cost. I rode with them a bit and turns out I don't actually like that much cargo on my bibs. About one regular size jersey pocket is workable for me, other than that and the shorts start sagging and/or moving around while I climb out of the saddle that the chamois was sliding around and causing irritation. So I had the big pockets removed and just one regular pocket added to most of my shorts. Something to consider if you want to test it out without a big outlay for something that may not work. Or maybe even just DIY it.

Louis Garneau makes an MTB liner short but the pocket is sized for a phone as well as the shorts require an overshort so most likely too warm for you.

I'm sorry if I came across as not liking DIY. That's not really the case. I just don't like things "southern engineered" AKA jury rigged. If it works well them I'm all for it.

So, yeah, your post is really interesting and the point about heavier cargo impacting how the padding sits or causing it to move around is something I've not considered.

So who is your seamstress?

The idea caught my eye since my bikepacking trip. Forgoing a traditional cycling jersey would be one less thing to worry about.

Thanks for the feedback mon frere.

-Tim-
Old 05-01-19, 12:12 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Bike shorts with a hiking shirt like the ones Columbia makes with the roll up sleeves are what's up for me. If the ride is very long I just use my hydration fanny pack. It's what I'll be wearing for the BWR this Sunday.
Old 05-01-19, 12:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by tiredhands
This is what I've been wearing now that I'm riding faster and further. I don't have a body shape that's what you'd call "aero," so I'm a huge fan of the cargo bibs. Better than looking like the Michelin Man! I've got one from The Black Bibs and I've got my eyes on a cheap set from Spexcel. I've been wearing cheap "cool tech" tees from Wally World but I might get a MTB jersey for more articulation. My challenge, it seems, will be to find cargo bibs with minimal padding for riding on leather saddles.
Thanks for the links.

The Spexcel bibs are designed to look like the Rapha product.

-Tim-
Old 05-01-19, 12:24 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Just go full hipster with a handlebar bag
Old 05-01-19, 12:27 PM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
I forgot - there's also one from Specialized that I'll snag if/when it goes on sale. I have one of their SWAT liner bibs, which has great storage and fit, but is too sheer to wear alone. Some cyclists seem not to mind being a little flirty, though.
Likes For tiredhands:
Old 05-01-19, 01:17 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't suppose anyone here has yet bought into the idea put forth by Rapha - cargo bibs with pockets and replacing the jersey with a lightweight and looser fitting technical tee.

The idea has merit completely apart from the company which thought it up and what anyone thinks about their products. A tee is more socially acceptable off the bike but more importantly, bibs are inherently more stable than a jersey and contents would not bounce on rough surfaces as much.

I think it is a great idea for gravel or bikepacking and would be tempted to try them if I thought I would get use out of them. They are rated to 30°C which isn't going to cut it during Georgia summers.

https://road.cc/content/review/24215...rgo-bib-shorts

Cadence made a similar product, the Adventure Bibs, but they seem to be out of business.

Anyone know of something similar?

-Tim-
Tim, Mavic has started a new clothing line geared towards casual gravel.
https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/allroa...l/apparel.html
Old 05-01-19, 03:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by tdilf
Tim, Mavic has started a new clothing line geared towards casual gravel.
https://shop.mavic.com/en-int/allroa...l/apparel.html
This is good to hear.

I’ll reserve judgement until I get back onto a PC to look at the products closer. Hopefully it is more than just road or MTB gear recycled with a gravel label.

Real feature of of use for gravel are a good thing - ability to carry more stuff, robust shoulder reinforcement for carrying hydration packs, etc.

thanks for the link!

-Tim-
Old 05-01-19, 06:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Cant say ive ever found myself needing to carry stuff in my bibs.
But i wear a jersey so it hasnt come up before.
...and when I don't wear a jersey and instead wear a tech tee, I just use my under saddle bag which is 6-7.5liters, depending if its expanded. I used it for longer rides and just stopped caring if its on the bike at all times.
Stays out of the way and doesnt make me carry too much in my jersey.

But hey- lots of options are great in life.

These rapha bibs look similar in style and intent to the currently popular women's athlesure yoga pants that have a built in cell phone pocket.
Old 05-01-19, 09:41 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Ha I said "my seamstress" like it's the 50s and I'm a man in a gray flannel suit. I just used a regular alteration place in Smyrna that did my job interview suit, but it looks to have closed. The lady made it seem like it was a pretty normal request but she did say the pictures made it much easier. Cost was $20 back in Spring 2017 so it couldn't have taken more than a half hour or so - I think any place that does alterations should be able to accommodate the project.
It wouldn't surprise me if you rode in a gray flannel suit.

-Tim-
Old 05-01-19, 09:46 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
You mean this "new" idea that was first introduced by Specialized five years ago?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/specialized-swat-apparel-first-ride.html

Yeah, SWAT bibs work well.
Old 05-01-19, 09:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

People seem to be wound up tighter than a banjo string lately.

The slightest thing sets people off and nobody knows how to have a conversation any more.
Old 05-01-19, 10:22 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
People seem to be wound up tighter than a banjo string lately.

The slightest thing sets people off and nobody knows how to have a conversation any more.
I agree.

Why does my post set you off? Why are you wound up tighter than a banjo string?

It seems that you took some innocuous information (that Rapha is merely copying an idea that has been around for a while) personally.

Why is that?
Old 05-01-19, 10:23 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I’m mad at Timothy too I don’t know why? And yes I’m just kidding.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 05-02-19, 06:30 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Back to Tim's original question:

I haven't tried cargo bibshorts, but I suspect that it would feel funny to have stuff in such pockets. Spoonrobot's feedback kind of confirms that. If I really need to carry more stuff, I will add a handlebar bag or top tube bag to my bike.

I have thought about those high-tech fabric t-shirts, though. Rapha is not the only company that makes one, though theirs looks nice - if I can snag one at a good sale price, I will probably get it eventually. I mean, what the heck...I do most of my training rides solo, on a pretty heavy bike (26+l bs) with a handlebar bag to carry plenty of stuff; what's the harm in wearing a less-than-aero shirt? It might make the ride slower, but it'll be an even better workout.
Old 05-02-19, 07:26 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Koyote
Back to Tim's original question:

I haven't tried cargo bibshorts, but I suspect that it would feel funny to have stuff in such pockets. Spoonrobot's feedback kind of confirms that. If I really need to carry more stuff, I will add a handlebar bag or top tube bag to my bike.

I have thought about those high-tech fabric t-shirts, though. Rapha is not the only company that makes one, though theirs looks nice - if I can snag one at a good sale price, I will probably get it eventually. I mean, what the heck...I do most of my training rides solo, on a pretty heavy bike (26+l bs) with a handlebar bag to carry plenty of stuff; what's the harm in wearing a less-than-aero shirt? It might make the ride slower, but it'll be an even better workout.

The thing about getting a handlebar bag is that I'll already be carrying frame, saddle and bar bags with tent, pad, quilt, stove, food, etc.

The Rapha technical tee interests me because it is made of the same fabric as their Pro Flyweight jersey which I own. It wicks and dries instantly and I can actually feel evaporative cooling on my chest as I ride in hot weather. It is uncanny. Any technical tee will do though but yeah, if the Rapha goes on sale then I'll consider it.

-Tim-
Old 05-02-19, 07:46 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
The thing about getting a handlebar bag is that I'll already be carrying frame, saddle and bar bags with tent, pad, quilt, stove, food, etc.

The Rapha technical tee interests me because it is made of the same fabric as their Pro Flyweight jersey which I own. It wicks and dries instantly and I can actually feel evaporative cooling on my chest as I ride in hot weather. It is uncanny. Any technical tee will do though but yeah, if the Rapha goes on sale then I'll consider it.

-Tim-
Right. For bikepacking, where speed is almost irrelevant, those may be great choices.

And ditto on the Rapha flyweight stuff. I have the Classic Flyweight jersey, and it is tremendous in very hot weather -- it seems like a cliche, but it is almost like not even wearing a jersey.
Old 05-02-19, 07:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I’m mad at Timothy too I don’t know why? And yes I’m just kidding.

I love this place.
Old 05-05-19, 09:39 AM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you're riding. Myself, just day rides usually not over 5 hrs (I'm older.. that's about all I'm good for) & I just wear the same bibs/jersey I use on the road. During summer month I often carry a 3rd bottle in the center bottle, taking up a lot of space that could otherwise hold a 2nd tube (I run tubeless, but...), extra food, a back-up pocket pump, etc. I've been considering a handle-bar bag for over-flow stuff so that I'm not food or hydration limited while up in very remote areas. I like to pack enough stuff (canisters, a back-up bump, small tools, back-up hanger, chain quick-links) where help is nonexistent. I probably need to carry more 1st aid stuff than I do - which is nothing.

I could not imagine carrying anything in cargo shorts - I would think that would chafe while riding but could be wrong.
Old 05-05-19, 10:42 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I met someone yesterday with the Rapha carbo bibs.

He carries his food for day rides in the side pockets and says he loves them.
Old 05-05-19, 12:34 PM
sputniky
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I met someone yesterday with the Rapha carbo bibs.

He carries his food for day rides in the side pockets and says he loves them.
Personally, I'm holding out for the bigger pockets of the Rapha protein bibs.

I will carry a few tri-tips for day rides in the side pockets and I will say I love them.
Old 05-05-19, 02:30 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I've started wearing Zoic Ether MTB shorts, with a bib shirt underneath for gravel rides. An REI synthetic hiking shirt on top. The shirt is not designed for cycling, it does not promote an extra long length in back, but i have no issues with it. The Zoic shorts are a very thin but tough material, and of course have extra pockets if needed, but the idea of carrying something in a thigh area pocket doesn't seem that great to me.

Voler offers their Stow Bib bib short with 2 pockets in back. Made in California. Actually, two models, one geared towards MTB. Just $79. I don't see the need to pay close to $300 for something similar unless the chamois is lacking in the Voler product.
https://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110806

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 05-05-19 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 05:27 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by ericzamora
I don't see the need to pay close to $300
Rapha Core Cargo Bibs - $150
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/c...uct/CCB01XXBLK

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 05-05-19 at 06:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.