Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

RD Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-19, 11:48 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
RD Hangers

Kind of PSA.

Blowing a RD is not uncommon in gravel when mud is involved. I've gotten the joy of converting two fellow riders to single speed in the last two weeks.

The person who blew their RD two weeks ago still hasn't gotten a replacement. The LBS informed them yesterday that the bike manufacturer would not have a replacement until September.

Not an isolated instance another rider bent his hanger a month ago. The hanger was proprietary to the manufacturer of the frame. He had to wait a couple of weeks while the manufacturer machined some for inventory.

I know there are other sources for hangers. However, I'm not taking any chances and I've got two on order (one to carry on rides and the other as backup).
Old 06-27-19, 01:04 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Thanks for the reminder, I need to order an extra myself.
Old 06-28-19, 10:42 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I have spare Der Hangers for each of my bikes on which they are replaceable - I get one when I buy a new bike. When racing on gravel, I usually carry the appropriate spare hanger, just-in-case. They don't weigh much.