Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Trek e bike opinion

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Trek e bike opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-19, 06:38 PM
Bigbadjohn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trek e bike opinion

I am new to E-bikes and considering this bike, would like to know your opinions
I know the front wheel drive is not the best I would only use it for good roads and no steep hills what would the range and speed likely to be.
I would like to get about 30 - 40 km. I weight 220 pounds
I am guessing it would be an easy upgrade from single speed to install a cassette but could be costly.
it would originally have had gears wonder why they were removed.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn...909017414.html

I got my beautiful Masi road bike stolen today so a good time to get an E-bike
it looks like this one is homemade, it seems a bit pricey.
An E-bike for only four blocks

I just got this reply.

. The trek frame is of unknown vintage but all the parts are new. The rear wheel, brakes front electric hub, controller and battery are a year old. Bafang 350 watt front wheel ss spokes, 36 volt 13amp battery came as a kit assembled by our local bike shop. Parts alone over $1000. I used it to get to the harbour and back ( four blocks) where we operate two water taxis. No idea of range. Speed guessing 20-30k? Never took it anywhere. It’s a large frame for a tall rider. I am in Gibsons.

Last edited by Bigbadjohn; 06-29-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 08:12 PM
Timjohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK my opinion...I am newbie as well but I just assemble an EV bike with close to what this bike has. It looks like a Bafang front hub motor, controller and computer that probably purchased from GRIN technologies. Ask the seller. Go to their site (google GRIN) and try to find the corresponding parts and educate yourself about the hardware. I would also ask if the bike was able to handle the hill from the ferry terminal. Its a very steep and long climb that could be tasking on this small motor. Also I know I wouldn't want any EV bike without disk brakes because of the speeds. Most controllers will cut off the power at about 29 to 32 km/hr but if the owner programmed the controller differently I think for your own safety you should ask them. Good luck with it.
Old 06-30-19, 11:48 AM
Bigbadjohn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does 36 volt 13amp battery mean 13 AH that's a good size battery if it is 13 ah

looks like a home paint job, its at a remote location need to take a ferry so if I don't buy waste a lot of time.

I find the further away it is the more chance I will buy having made the journey not a good thing

Last edited by Bigbadjohn; 06-30-19 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 12:50 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Many "experts" say that you should consider the battery, usually the most expensive component of an e-bike, toast since it's very difficult to assess it's condition without testing. For me, my $800 would be spent elsewhere ( Craigslist bike, maybe YESCOM or ebikeling motor, then good battery with the $400 or more left).

Last edited by 2old; 06-30-19 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-30-19, 02:29 PM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I don’t know much about e-bikes but being in the electronics repair business all my life. I wouldn’t touch this bike. There could very well be some intermittent problem the owner is attempting to pass on, or a battery that won’t hold a charge. Just to risky for me.
Likes For Baboo:
Old 07-05-19, 08:03 PM
Bigbadjohn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought the bike for $500 it was listed for $800. He had all the receipts and documentation
The bike looked much better in the flesh actually I was quite taken aback how good it looked, he said it had only been ridden twice and all part are new
including new wheels, it has a Moots titanium stem that cost over $200 it looks cool
I have been riding it every day and can't fault it in any way.
it has Panasonic batteries 36v 14ah. Each day I did about 25 miles on full throttle power with very little peddling and still, 20% battery left
I have a GPS watch and got the bike to 26 mph. on the flat.
It has the Bafang G01 std motor they have a new far superior motor out now that's much faster and quieter.
Overall very happy with the bike.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-08-19, 02:12 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
NEED PICTURES!!!

Congratulations!!!

Panasonic makes some of the best batteries out there (there is a lot of junk on the market), so you did well there. Bafang makes great motors and 26mph is great (hope it has good brakes) I'm jealous. ;-) Well, it kind of sounds like my bike....