Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Out of glycogen or something else?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 01:34 AM
Mach42

Bikes: 2005 Scattante R660 Triple, 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a pretty basic physiology question, but I tend to tire quickly when I'm on rides where I'm pushing. My legs are burning and feel lethargic during the ends of my rides, but I'm not out of breath at all and I'm not struggling with heart rate. When I'm starting off and fresh, I can push my heart rate to the limit.

I did a century last year and started off way too strong trying to keep up with the group. After about 50 miles I was pretty beat and the above symptoms reared their ugly heads, and hard. The last 50 miles were a major struggle.

Can someone tell me the basics of what's happening as I get tired? Is it glycogen depletion? Running out of matches?
Old 04-28-09, 06:52 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach42
This is a pretty basic physiology question, but I tend to tire quickly when I'm on rides where I'm pushing. My legs are burning and feel lethargic during the ends of my rides, but I'm not out of breath at all and I'm not struggling with heart rate. When I'm starting off and fresh, I can push my heart rate to the limit.

I did a century last year and started off way too strong trying to keep up with the group. After about 50 miles I was pretty beat and the above symptoms reared their ugly heads, and hard. The last 50 miles were a major struggle.

Can someone tell me the basics of what's happening as I get tired? Is it glycogen depletion? Running out of matches?
The simple answer is that you need to build up more endurance. Do longer training rides, and keep a log to keep on track. Your performance in the late stages of a ride will improve for sure.

... Brad
Old 04-28-09, 07:34 AM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like lactic acid buildup in your muscles. Work to increase your lactate threshold.
Old 04-28-09, 11:46 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
<snip> and I'm not struggling with heart rate. <snip>
What do you mean? When I think of struggling with HR late in a ride, I mean that I can't get it to go up anymore, which is a result of my legs and whole aerobic system getting tired. High HR late in a ride is great. Your equipment will only work hard for so long. How long depends on your base, in terms of miles/week and miles/month and miles/year. More miles = longer before you're out of gas.

You may very well be running out of glycogen. That's common with riders who try to go hard on a much longer ride than they're used to. I see it every Sunday. You can combat it by eating more during the ride - trying for that 250 cal/hr, steady. And riding more.

What happens with more training is that your body's chemical factory becomes more adept at using fat and food calories for energy, and gets much better at sparing the glycogen.
Old 04-29-09, 10:19 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

It's simple. You're just pushing too hard for your level of fitness.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 05-01-09, 11:47 AM
Mach42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This winter hit me pretty hard, and due to classes and fun new video games, I didn't get out there nearly as much as I should have. I'm fairly detrained compared to the end of last fall because of all that.

As for my heart rate, yes, I am having trouble reaching a high heart rate at the end of my rides. My legs are so dead that I cannot push at all. My heart rate and breathing are just plodding along at a very low rate and my legs die before I can really push enough to bring my HR and breathing up.

It looks like a long hard road back, but I'll get return to where I was. Thanks for the replies, everyone.
Old 05-01-09, 11:52 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
There are no "basics" to answer with.

In general, sensations of fatigue are rooted in a complex mix of psychological and physical sensations. Often there is a tendency to draw conclusions from a single stimulus, such as exercise, or a given blood-sugar concentration and automatically declare that factor as the cause for "crashing."

As far as a direct physiological cause, the act of simply starting a ride with more highly trained athletes "sets you up" for discomfort and or fatigue in as much as you are calling on organ systems at intensity levels that release neurologically active substances that increase your awareness of work. Training can affect some of these things, but has no effect on others. (We are not machines!)

Typically glycogen depletion isn't the direct cause of "feelings" of fatigue. Many other chemical "warning-signals" , in conjunction with low-blood pressure, and low blood-glucose, and a changes in electrolyte balances all conspire to cause "crashing."
Old 05-01-09, 01:34 PM
50000 Guatts of power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah you are out of something...shape. just ride more and worry less.
Old 05-01-09, 01:38 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zephyr11
Sounds like lactic acid buildup in your muscles. Work to increase your lactate threshold.
+1 The burning feeling is the buildup of lactic acid that your body can't filter out. Instead of pushing hard all the time, focus on increasing your LT.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-01-09, 04:20 PM
Mach42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1
yeah you are out of something...shape. just ride more and worry less.
I've got a great "shape," just not the fitness to go along with it anymore . I have noticed that I'm nowhere near as good as the beginning of the 2008 season. That winter, I did a hell of a lot of trainer work during the off season and felt great during the spring. However, I do get the picture. I'm just doing some whining and realizing that I need to get the heck out there and work for it. I'm just saddened by the fact that I'm nowhere near in condition to ride the century that some of my friends are going to do.
Old 05-02-09, 02:16 PM
daxr

Bikes: 08 Giant Boulder, 08 Scattante XLR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're probably on the right track thinking about glycogen depletion, though exhaustion can come in different ways. I haven't ever tracked heart rates so I don't know about that, but as far as cycling distances I'd say if you are doing one "distance ride" a week and trying to get to the century mark comfortably, just do it by adding 20% or so to whatever last week's ride was, and match the effort level.

That is, if you rode an easy 50 miles last week, make this week an easy 60 miles, then next week an easy 72 miles or so. At that point if you don't have enough time for longer rides, make them harder rides instead. For most people a 1 week recovery period between distance work is ok, and actively doing other kinds of riding in between helps too.