Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you ride for time, distance, both, or neither?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you ride for time, distance, both, or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-19, 06:33 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 410 Posts
I ride for my sanity. I began doing long distance rides in my troubled teens, the physical effort and being able to go to somewhat faraway places made things easier, until I got a car, that is.

Nowadays life is busy, I run a business, have a family, with a kid of my own in private school. The city is big, crowded, and noisy. I get more peace from riding than I do from sleep. As soon as I start pedaling, the rhythm calms me down, and by the end of a good ride, I feel recharged.
Old 01-11-19, 09:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
World wide, I would bet that there are a lot more people regularly riding out of necessity than for fun. Even in the U.S., I think there's a lot more necessity riders than people here are describing--just look at the number of delivery guys there are in Manhattan, for example. I don't think people who ride out of necessity spend a lot of time posting on General Cycling, however.

There's been some threads here where the general tone has been rather condescending and dismissive of people who ride from necessity. I find that kind of snobbery pretty silly.
Old 01-11-19, 12:15 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
World wide, I would bet that there are a lot more people regularly riding out of necessity than for fun. Even in the U.S., I think there's a lot more necessity riders than people here are describing--just look at the number of delivery guys there are in Manhattan, for example. I don't think people who ride out of necessity spend a lot of time posting on General Cycling, however.
Makes sense.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
There's been some threads here where the general tone has been rather condescending and dismissive of people who ride from necessity. I find that kind of snobbery pretty silly.
Most snobbery better defines the snobs than the target of the snobbery.

I am decidedly snobbish in my anti-snobbery beliefs. I will Not tolerate intolerance.
Old 01-12-19, 08:14 AM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I am genetically programmed to be fat so I've taken up cycling to battle the bulge. I did not realize how addicting the sport would become. I enjoy/hate a long challenging ride as well as a short stroll so I guess my answer is "both".

It's weird how something can bring so much pain and suffering and be fun.
Old 01-12-19, 12:09 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I would say distance.

I bike commute to work and enjoy a leisurely day out but my main focus is long distance riding/touring and all my planning is based on making X distance each day. In the last year or so I've tried to increase X distance but I would say that is more by focusing on efficiency than strictly worrying about time. Efficient rest breaks, gear selection, cadence, fitness etc...
Old 01-14-19, 12:22 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Usually bike for distance. I swim for time because I can't wait to finish! "if you're feelin' lonely and you got the need, I'm built for distance baby, not for speed".
Old 01-14-19, 12:34 PM
fds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Both
Old 01-14-19, 12:38 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rollagain
Neither. I just like to be in motion in the outdoors. I do try to challenge myself, mildly, sometimes.
Same
Old 01-14-19, 01:47 PM
yukiinu

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Distance.

I ride because riding is THE ansolute best physical and mental therapy for me. I can feel terrible both physically and mentally and literally within 30 seconds of getting on the bike I feel better, both physically and mentally. I ride for distance, being in the city with all the traffic stops eliminates riding for time. After about an hour all my body systems are in sinc, and by then I am somwhere with no traffic stops, and then I concentrate on a steady long slow distance cross country cadence that I have used in 9,000 miles of loaded touring. Two years as a bike messenger I used to sprint most of the day, after starting the day by swimming laps for an hour, "but that was yesterday, and yesterdays gone". Old people will get the song reference.
Old 01-14-19, 02:42 PM
mrMike88

Bikes: Spalding Blade Vintage 12-speed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fun and exercise (and health/weight loss) and the experience of looking at the towns I'm going through in a different way. It's the only exercise I have ever done that I don't really want to stop when I get near home.
Old 01-14-19, 03:05 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I have so many 'goals' with my bikes, many are extremely esoteric. Some of the 'goals' that keep me riding and motivated:
  • mileage
  • elevation gain
  • longest ride
  • fastest ride
  • new KOM/PR on Strava
  • new badge in Zwift (I'm working on Unemployed and Masochinist currently)
  • VeloViewer Explorer Max Square
  • riding instead of driving - taking the money saved on gas and spend 10x on bike stuff
  • keeping myself in good condition
  • training for the next race/event/ride
  • number of smiles
  • burn off the stress of work and life
  • get the best frost beard selfie
Frankly, I don't think I've met a bike goal I don't like!
Old 01-14-19, 03:12 PM
stephr1

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
I ride for the exercise. Then I ride for time. I have a fixed distance that I do 3x per week in the early morning, like at sunrise (barring bone-chilling cold or rain or getting sick) and I know I'm improving when I see my time drop to a certain point.
Old 01-14-19, 04:35 PM
aguerci

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't really think about it.

I commute daily to work by bike, route is 14 miles round trip. On the weekends, and on vacations, my wife and I ride our tandem - usuually at least a thirty mile round-trip. We ride for the pure enjoyment of biking and reaping the benefits of participating in an activity we both love.
Old 01-14-19, 05:28 PM
HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I often ride for distance as my prime motivation because I like to be ready for anything interesting that may pop up. A buddy of mine asked a couple of weeks ago to join him on a 200k and I'm bummed that I wasn't ready for it.

It's funny to read some folks don't like a bike computer because they look at it too much. My buddy said the same thing and removed his computer, yet on our rides I'll ask him "did you see this or that" and every time he says "no". Cracks me up. I don't know what he's looking at, but he's still missing a lot of scenery. LOL

Scenery or something challenging are my favorite rides and I do like to log them (RWGPS / Strava). I like to see between 3500 and 5000 miles per year. For me that seems to be a max if you're still married and not retired.
Old 01-15-19, 03:45 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Commuter

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Just curious how most of you decide how much you will ride. What your internal motivation is

Also, are there any commuters that ride solely for their commute?

personally I go by distance, daily, monthly, yearly. I know these numbers. Sometimes I'll feel like stopping but continue on to hit the number in my head

what's your story? Look forward to your responses
I commute rain or shine. 20 miles one way. My work has showers and bike lockers so it's easy. I went from a Cannondale to a recombant recently. It keeps me in pretty good shape for a good long tour (2-4 weeks) once a year.
Old 01-17-19, 02:48 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Almost exclusively commute, so I ride to the destination.
Old 01-17-19, 03:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tacos & Beer
Old 01-17-19, 08:29 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
My bat crap crazy sister was over for 15 minutes today - 15 minutes! In that amount of time she managed to push my pissivity levels into the red zone. A 30 minute session on the trainer followed by some morphine really helped calm me back down.
Old 01-18-19, 12:18 AM
stanion

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
TSS. I do consider time and distance for how long I'll be away from the family, and how uncomfortable my seat will start to feel.
Old 01-18-19, 07:57 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I used to keep track of speed, distance and time for the first few years and then I stopped doing it and got rid of my bike computer. The longer I ride the less I care about this type of stuff.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 01-18-19, 09:10 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Mostly I ride for enjoyment. I could plan to ride for an hour and wind up being out much longer. My secondary motivation is fitness/strength. There are a lot of hills where I live so my goal is to become a good enough climber that I won't have to worry about making it back home when I take new routes.
Old 01-20-19, 04:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
in 91 I took a Bike tour that included some of eastern Europe a few months after the Eastern bloc /Warsaw Pact broke up ..