Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Yet another rural Georgia dog bite

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-29-19, 07:21 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

Another rider bit on a ride west of Atlanta this weekend.

The dog is very aggressive and had been reported to animal control several times. Squirting this dog with a water bottle or telling it "No" in a stern voice was useless with this inbred and this time it got a rider in the ankle. The rider was able to return to ride start under his own power.

County animal control said hat that the dog would be impounded for ten days if it could be located. The owner will have to pay a $150 fee to have the dog returned.

-Tim-
Old 04-29-19, 07:24 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I think they should impound the owner.
Likes For mixteup:
Old 04-29-19, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by mixteup
I think they should impound the owner.
+1. My Ex-GF of nearly 8 years is recovering from the effects of a recent closed head injury that included brain bleeding caused when a dog ran off a property and took her out from behind while she was descending at about 20 mph.
Old 04-29-19, 07:41 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I think it's time to call Wade Blasingame:

Old 04-29-19, 07:48 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I'm going to be spending more time riding around rural FL in the near future. The thing I most dread is loose dogs.
Old 04-29-19, 08:54 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,579 Times in 911 Posts
I hit a dog once.

I'm only posting the Strava link because it's hard to get your photos out of Strava on mobile.

In anycase, I was keeping to the right as proper, some pedestrian lady was walking towads me, keeping to her right, as proper. Then this unleashed dog eye-balled me & lunged from the brush to my right. I moved to the center to avoid the poor guy, but it was already too late & he sank his teeth into my front tire.

I damn near cut that thing in half. It scampered to it's owner, very obviously broken in the middle somehow. The yelling match that ensued when I picked my self up off the ground was for the ages, let me tell you. "shared path this, shared path that" she screamed at me between obscenities. I yelled back "Taking up the left, the right, & the middle doesn't seem much like sharing the ephing path! Leash your ephing dog! Rules apply to you too, Lady!"

Of course, it was all my fault & her negligence and inability to obey the leash laws had nothing to do with the broken dog.

Dogs are property under State law. Since I'm the actual human that suffered injury, I'm the one with a legal claim to hold her for negligence. So instead of calling the cops out to the middle of nowhere & making an issue of it, I called her something similar to "I'll C U Next Tuesday" and rode off.

I don't know what ever came of the situation, but there are lots of "Leash your dog" signs now prominantly posted in the area & dog walkers seem to be attentive in the times I've rode there since.

On a side note, digging pebbles & gravel out of road rash sucks.

Last edited by base2; 04-29-19 at 11:18 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 04-29-19, 09:15 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Another rider bit on a ride west of Atlanta this weekend.

The dog is very aggressive and had been reported to animal control several times. Squirting this dog with a water bottle or telling it "No" in a stern voice was useless with this inbred and this time it got a rider in the ankle. The rider was able to return to ride start under his own power.

County animal control said hat that the dog would be impounded for ten days if it could be located. The owner will have to pay a $150 fee to have the dog returned.

-Tim-
Whilst a dog lover and someone who looks after dogs being training to be assistance dogs at the weekend, I personally couldn't keep a dog that I thought was vicious or likely to hurt someone I'd hate the constant worry.

I also think that punishment is limp .... they should make it a huge fine so it really hurts the owners, especially if it's a repeat offender as ignoring it offers no incentive for the owner to do anything about it, in the UK there's a level where the courts will commit the dog to be be destroyed but I'm not sure how far they have to go.

I would have thought if someone wrote to the animal control saying you have been notified on several occasions that this dog is a threat and you've failed to act so if someone gets hurt you will be assuming liability for negligence if they'd get someone to investigate it pretty sharpish.
Old 04-29-19, 09:18 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Water bottle full of ammonia. Squirt the mutt in the face with that and he'll leave you alone.

My history teacher in HS gave me that tip. He was a distance runner, and tended to run into feral dogs in rural MI.
Likes For ironnerd:
Old 04-29-19, 09:19 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
All the senior citizen walkers in my area carry sticks, golf clubs, and canes that look like clubs. I guess that's their preferred method of dealing with the problem.
Old 04-29-19, 09:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Squirting a dog with ammonia is extremely bad advice.

You will permanently harm the dog and risk injuring yourself or others on the ride. It is the absolute wrong way to deal with dogs.

The correct way to deal with dogs is OC type pepper spray.

Sabre Red Pepper Gel is organic, does no permanent harm to the dog or the environment, wears off completely in four hours and stops the dog cold. I have used it several times and dogs no longer bother cyclists - they won't even come near us. It was recommended to me by animal control officers.

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...p-belt-holster

$12.99 for prime members.

-Tim-
Old 04-29-19, 10:04 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Witterings
Whilst a dog lover and someone who looks after dogs being training to be assistance dogs at the weekend, I personally couldn't keep a dog that I thought was vicious or likely to hurt someone I'd hate the constant worry.

I also think that punishment is limp .... they should make it a huge fine so it really hurts the owners, especially if it's a repeat offender as ignoring it offers no incentive for the owner to do anything about it, in the UK there's a level where the courts will commit the dog to be be destroyed but I'm not sure how far they have to go.

I would have thought if someone wrote to the animal control saying you have been notified on several occasions that this dog is a threat and you've failed to act so if someone gets hurt you will be assuming liability for negligence if they'd get someone to investigate it pretty sharpish.

Animal control in the counties are generally very good. In this particular county they are very responsive.

The last time I reported an aggressive dog they drove out to the location that day. The officer called me from the owners front porch. They can't bust into people's homes or issue citations if they don't see the loose dog. If someone is bitten then they are allowed to enter property or even arrest the owner if they refuse to hand over the dog. They can only do what they are allowed to do.

In this case the animal control officer was great. "The dog is getting impounded if I see it." and so forth. County police responded as well.

The problem is that there are so many dogs, many inbred.
Old 04-29-19, 10:42 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Around here, the good ole boys use the excuse that it's not their dog but a stray that they felt sorry for so they fed it a bit.

I got taken down by a border collie a couple of years ago. It ran out after me and right in front of my bike. I hit is and went down. This was like 1 week before I was flying to Banff to ride the upper portion of the TD route too. As I got up off of the pavement the dogs owner came running out and the first words out of her mouth were "OMG, are you alright?" She was genuinely concerned for my well being.

Other than in a case like that, my rule is that if your dog bites me or takes me down, you will have a legal problem.
Old 04-29-19, 11:50 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I think the biggest shocker to this story is that a cyclist would actually expect NOT to be bitten by a dog in rural Georgia.

I used to live in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody. Outside of the city it was Hicksville USA.
Old 04-29-19, 11:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
****?
Old 04-29-19, 11:54 AM
mixteup

The correct way to deal with dogs is OC type pepper spray

-Tim-
+1 on this, but be sure you get the GEL type - You don't want spray blow back from this stuff
Old 04-29-19, 11:57 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I think the biggest shocker to this story is that a cyclist would actually expect NOT to be bitten by a dog in rural Georgia.

I used to live in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody. Outside of the city it was Hicksville USA.

Hicksville is a town on Long Island.

-Tim-
Old 04-29-19, 12:03 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

You will permanently harm the dog and risk injuring yourself or others on the ride. It is the absolute wrong way to deal with dogs.

Sabre Red Pepper Gel is organic, does no permanent harm to the dog or the environment, wears off completely in four hours and stops the dog cold. I have used it several times and dogs no longer bother cyclists - they won't even come near us. It was recommended to me by animal control officers.

-Tim-
Here's an internet first...

You make a good point. I like your idea better.
Likes For ironnerd:
Old 04-29-19, 12:12 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,640 Times in 822 Posts

-Tim-
Some dogs don't have much of a reaction to OC at all. The nice thing about it though is even if it doesn't work they take it back to their owners!
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 04-29-19, 12:27 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
As far as the legal penalty, the cyclist might just tell his insurance company the reason for the medical claim. I'd think having an insurance company after you would be a worse punishment than losing the dog.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-29-19, 12:59 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 59 Posts
Tim,

Where exactly were you in metro Atlanta when the dog attacked? I want to avoid this area. Thanks
Old 04-29-19, 03:41 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Tim,

Where exactly were you in metro Atlanta when the dog attacked? I want to avoid this area. Thanks
Yeah... I'm in Westish ATL and would also like to not get bit.

Spill it!
Old 04-29-19, 04:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
That's why I always carry a knife with me when riding, especially in rural areas.
Old 04-29-19, 04:32 PM
mixteup

Tim,

Hey - Even if you had the GPS co-ordinates of that particular dawg, there could be another one lurking, a mile down the road.
You can run, but you can't hide - Be prepared, I always say .....
Old 04-29-19, 04:35 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I have found that getting ahead of the mutt dismounting your bicycle and holding your handlebars and swinging the rear wheel into the path of the mutts head is very effective at stopping repeat offenders of the canine variety.
Old 04-29-19, 07:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by ironnerd
Yeah... I'm in Westish ATL and would also like to not get bit.

It was not metro or West Atlanta. It was west of Atlanta. I did not get bit.

Coots Lake trailhead is mile 33.5 on the Silver Comet Trail. Two groups started at 10:00 AM. The group I was with returned to find Polk County police and animal control at the trailhead speaking with the rider from the other group who was bit and had cut his ride short.

Really, throw a dart at a map of Polk or Bartow county. Dogs are a huge problem out that way. This particular bite happened on Hightower Rd. south of Morgan Valley Rd to the west of Rockmart.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-29-19 at 07:37 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.