Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Do you wear a helmet?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Do you wear a helmet?

Old 05-18-19, 06:19 AM
johjo

Bikes: Bianchi Lucca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Do you wear a helmet?

Do you wear a helmet? Always or just for certain types of rides? What to keep in mind while shopping for one? Aldi has one for $18 right now. I don't usually wear one but I'm slow touristy nature looker. The meet- ups groups require a helmet for group rides. Most of you wear one all the time?
Old 05-18-19, 07:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Yes, I wear one nearly all the time. I may not put it on if I'm riding a few houses up the road to call my kids home, but otherwise, I usually have a helmet on.

Besides general safety, I like it because it keeps the sun off my bald(ing) head while still allowing airflow. A ballcap gets super hot to me.
Old 05-18-19, 07:11 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I wear one when riding a bicycle, do not wear one when riding a tricycle.
Old 05-18-19, 07:28 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I wear one when I ride out but not for a short test in front of the house. It is also what my rear view mirror is attached too so I miss it when it is not on my head. And for me also, it keeps my bald head from getting sunburned.
Frank.
Old 05-18-19, 07:36 AM
rayooo

Bikes: Superfly-9.6, Domane-4.5 Emonda-SLR 9

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Always do.
Likes For rayooo:
Old 05-18-19, 07:45 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
It's up to the individual to decide. A lot of organized affairs require them and they can set their own rules. If you do want one, Walmart/Amazon has decent ones in the $20 range like the Schwinn Thrasher or if the Aldi one fits, go with that. Fit and comfort is #1 . Just an example but I prefer helmets without a solid piece in the very middle, I'd rather have two offset "beams", maybe I have a pointed head.

This thread will get interesting.

Last edited by u235; 05-18-19 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 07:50 AM
Mtl01

Bikes: Domane AL5, FX 2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 21 Posts
Always wear one.

Seen enough other bikers take tumbles (even those riding at slow or casual paces) to understand it's foolish to not wear one.
Likes For Mtl01:
Old 05-18-19, 09:35 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Over the past 45 years of riding both my wife and I have crashed several times, Quite a few of those times our helmets ended up being cracked. I wonder if we would be still riding 30 miles a day @ 70 years old if we didn't wear them.. Oh and we replace them very 5 years as well.
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 05-18-19, 09:44 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I do wear one, always. I like a helmet with a visor to help with sun, it's better ventilation than a ball cap, and my head is important to me. That said, I would certainly never force anyone else to wear one - do your research, and make your choice .
Likes For Aahzz:
Old 05-18-19, 05:20 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
Always.

It saved me from a bad injury a couple of years ago. Was riding on a country road and got the front tire stuck in a rut unexpectedly. Lost control and fell over. The back of my head was the first thing to hit the pavement. Shook me up but no damage done. Didn't think twice about plopping down the money for a replacement helmet - easily worth the money!
Old 05-18-19, 07:56 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I wear one primary to mount a light or camera to it.
Old 05-18-19, 08:43 PM
EGBigelo

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Fit and comfort is #1 .
I would say safety is first. Making sure it meets government standards. If it fits and comfortable but won’t protect the rider then what’s the point.

I’m not sure anyone actually enjoys wearing a helmet, especially in hot weather. For some it’s a sense of security and makes the ride more enjoyable.
Likes For EGBigelo:
Old 05-18-19, 08:44 PM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
Yes
Old 05-18-19, 09:44 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
When I was a child, in the 60s, no, I did not wear a helmet. I was raised in the pre-snowflake, knee pad, butt pad era school of hard knocks. Now and going back decades of competition cycling, yes, I always wear a helmet on my bicycle or motorcycle. On the motorcycle I wear armor. On the bicycle, gloves and a helmet, always.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-18-19 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 08:07 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I always do because it always sounded smart...even though I was sure I'd never crash. I mostly wore it because a car driver might make a mistake...though I myself surely wouldn't....

Last week I crashed. By myself. Due to my own mistake.

Head never hit the ground. Not a scratch on the helmet. So I'd have been fine without it. But I also got lucky. The giant purple bruise on my hip today could have easily been a concussion in my head.

If nothing else it served as a reminder to me that the bumps in the road do not care how long I've been riding or how good I think I am as a rider. If the road wants to take me down, the road is going to take me down.

I also found that after wearing a helmet regularly for a month or so...I was so used to it that it feels weird not to have one on now.

I also, and I want to be very clear on this, don't judge anyone who doesn't wear one because unless it's one of my own kids i'ts none of my business what other people choose to do with their own heads.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 05-21-19 at 09:56 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 05-20-19, 08:12 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
No, I don't. I am not opposed to the idea, so someday I might get a helmet, but so far I have been fine.
Old 05-20-19, 10:17 AM
beach_cycle

Bikes: 2021 Electra Townie 7D equipped; 2019 Monterey 26" Seven Speed Trike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by johjo
Do you wear a helmet? Always or just for certain types of rides? What to keep in mind while shopping for one? Aldi has one for $18 right now. I don't usually wear one but I'm slow touristy nature looker. The meet- ups groups require a helmet for group rides. Most of you wear one all the time?
Yes, I always wear a helmet, today, but I did not in the 20th century. Since June 2016, I ride adult tricycles, but in the 1970's through 1999 I rode bicycles and motorcycles.

In 1991 a car hit me while riding a motorcycle; I t-boned the car at 55 MPH, flew 100 feet through the air landing on my unprotected head. I was in a coma 90 days, a season. Living with a brain injury is both good and bad... In 1991, California did not have a motorcycle helmet law, but in 1992 they did. So I was wearing a novelty helmet in my 1999 motorcycle accident. It smashed into pieces, so for protection I'd also recommend a safety approved helmet. I did not ride since 1999, until 2016. Reasons included living in an urban city where it was not safe, in my opinion, to practice riding in the streets. When I finally started riding a bike again, my brain injury had progressed during the last 28 years, so today I ride an adult tricycle because of the balance issues. I've tipped three different adult tricycles in the past three years - they are sturdy, but require slowing down for turns, and a few times I did not slow down enough. I did not need a helmet in those tips, but I like the feeling of wearing one anyway - hopefully to prevent further brain injury.
Likes For beach_cycle:
Old 05-21-19, 01:19 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Yes I wear a helmet. The helmet is more likely to prevent more serious injury than to cause one. Any inconvenience such as extra weight or less air flow through the hair is a small price to pay.
Old 05-21-19, 09:19 AM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Always. No questions. No matter 5 minutes store run or full day trip.
Likes For crazyravr:
Old 05-22-19, 09:44 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 117 Posts
Seeing walnuts fall down and bounce 6 feet back up on trails I ride, or the tree limbs falling down when no one else is around, yea, I'm wearing a helmet.

Only time I don't wear is a quick and short ride to get kids or testing of the bike.
Old 05-22-19, 01:00 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Wifey & I have been wearing helmets ever since we started our kids on bikes. wanted to set the right example, you know? kids are in their 20s now. last July 4th Wifey & I think to take a leisurely ride on a quiet paved trail without helmets cuz it was such a hot day. 5 miles from the car, she crashes & breaks her wrist. cpl months later, after that heals, she needed carpal tunnel surgery. she never hit her head but we both felt pretty dumb after the crash, cuz it could have been much, much worse
Old 05-22-19, 01:12 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Yes, I wear it anywhere there's cars next to me, cement or asphalt under me, or trees/rocks near me. Which only leaves the dirt or gravel trails for me to get an even tan on my bald head.
Old 05-22-19, 02:18 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Yes, I wear it anywhere there's cars next to me, cement or asphalt under me, or trees/rocks near me. Which only leaves the dirt or gravel trails for me to get an even tan on my bald head.
Ah helmet lines know them well. Living in FL they are a permanent part of my skull. Also have tiger stripes on my feet due to wearing keen sandals all the time. But, at 70 years old and married to the same woman for the past 48 years. who cares?
Old 05-22-19, 04:47 PM
fat2fit

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by johjo
Honestly I wear one when I mountain bike or road bike, ever since I got my Hybrid bike I often find myself not wanting to wear it. I can fall down in the shower and break my head open, why does it matter if I wear one when I ride a bike or not? At least that's one of the arguments I've heard before. At the end of the day if you get hit by a car the helmet may help save some brain damage, but it ain't gonna really do much else. When riding my Dual Sport 2 around town, depending on how long the ride will be, I usually don't wear one. If I plan on going for a longer ride, I'll wear one.

Frankly, lots of the time I don't like having to haul the helmet around when I arrive at my destination so I don't bring it. I also don't really care for the look of it. Technically I'm in Canada, and it's illegal to ride without one, but I don't think people actually enforce that law lol.
Likes For fat2fit:
Old 05-22-19, 05:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Never leave home without it. When you've cracked your head as many times as I have, you don't need a database or the legal system to convince me to do otherwise.
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I do wear one, always. I like a helmet with a visor to help with sun, it's better ventilation than a ball cap, and my head is important to me. That said, I would certainly never force anyone else to wear one - do your research, and make your choice .
"Force" them? No, but make a strong suggestion maybe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.