Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Best quick carbs for long rides?

Old 06-22-19, 04:10 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
What's ensure like on a ride? It certainly has that available-in-any-pharmacy convenience. Or did you mix it from powder?
On a 400 or 600 I'll always carry a little bag of the chocolate powder as an emergency meal. I find it more palatable than any other powder.
Old 06-24-19, 03:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
What's ensure like on a ride? It certainly has that available-in-any-pharmacy convenience. Or did you mix it from powder?
I had one on this week's ride. It was great, I wish they sold it in convenience stores.

I once tried carrying PBJ with me on a 600km. I think I ate 1 1/2. I have trouble if I'm eating food that isn't salty enough. Last year on the Mac 'n' Cheese, the organizer provided ham sandwiches, and that always worked out great. I haven't quite figured out the logistics of how to pack my own. The trick with PBJ is to put peanut butter on both slices of bread and jelly in the middle, avoiding the dreaded jelly soaked slice of bread

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-24-19 at 03:09 AM.
Old 06-24-19, 03:09 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Kiwi Ron Skelton is about to finish Raam, he's had about 100 bottles on ensure along the way!
Old 06-24-19, 05:34 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I assume you are just being silly. Two pounds of carbohydrate could fuel a person for several days. And that's assuming there a mix of simple/complex carbohydrates.

Anyway - your post makes you sound like you are seriously deficient in basic nutritional information.

Unless you are attempting to compete - anyone - and I mean "anyone" can complete a 200k in a favorable time using "normal" food. You may want to reconsider why you would think carrying some sugary snacks on a ride is such a terrible load.

Why not just eat what you want?
I assume you aren"t familiar with math. (And maybe your get you bike bags from Mary Poppins?)

6-8 bananas weigh two pounds. In what universe do you believe that 6-8 bananas would be enough fuel for "several days"?

Here's some mathiness for you:
-A standard gel/gummy/blok fuel pack has ~100calories of carbs.
-2-3 per hour over, a 10-13 hour ride is 20 -36 gel/gummy/blok packages.
-Any idea how much room that takes up in your pockets and bags?

You've also totally missed the fact that the packaging also has weight. Either, that or have you somehow developed a taste for wrappers too? And banana peels?

Last edited by unterhausen; 06-24-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 09:56 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium

Unless you are attempting to compete - anyone - and I mean "anyone" can complete a 200k in a favorable time using "normal" food. You may want to reconsider why you would think carrying some sugary snacks on a ride is such a terrible load.
I meet hundreds of "anyones" every day who couldn't complete 20k in a month, let alone 200k within the 13.5 hour limit for brevets.

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 06-24-19 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 07:14 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by brockd15
Unfrosted Pop Tarts
Thinking of your mention a quick what-do-I-want wander of aisles resulted in my actually grabbing a pack of pop-tarts at the turnaround on a century this weekend, not bad. Though I admit I got the frosted ones.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
a microwaved bowl of Campbell's chicken noodle soup, which also has LOTS of salt.
I'd made a resolution to do this when I realized the possibility right after last year's century. Alas, hitting the turnaround point's appropriate gas station just after 2pm in peak sun, I wasn't feeling it.

But that night after getting home? perfection.

Of course, no century of mine could be complete without the traditional energy source....

That said, my main planned food source was turkey/cheese/mustard sandwiches, made the night before and packed frozen. That worked well early on. And I'd made a special anti-bonk one with jelly (but no peanut butter, after finding that impossible to get down) that I ate before the two hardest uphill sections. Come afternoon full sun they weren't working for me, but digging into the remainder that evening on the train home, regardless of food safety concerns, was heaven.

Still between all of that and about 7 liters of gatorade/powerade I ended up with a moderately upset stomach from midafternoon's sun (where despite a helmet brim I once or twice had to lean on a fence to rest) through the train ride home. But fortunately came out okay.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-24-19 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:13 PM
UniChris

Originally Posted by AllWeatherJeff
I assume you aren"t familiar with math. (And maybe your get you bike bags from Mary Poppins?)

6-8 bananas weigh two pounds. In what universe do you believe that 6-8 bananas would be enough fuel for "several days"?
Bananas are mostly water. Actual carbohydrates (which is what the reference is to, and what nutrition labels count) are 4 Kcal/gram. 2 lbs (909 grams) of actual carbohydrate is 3636 Kcal, or about a day and a half to two days for a typical man/woman living a typical life (and not riding distance)

So you're both a bit off. It's more energy than Jeff thinks, less than Richard believes, assuming we're talking activity and not famine survival.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-24-19 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 08:24 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Bananas are mostly water. Actual carbohydrates (which is what the reference is to, and what nutrition labels count) are 4 Kcal/gram. 2 lbs (909 grams) of actual carbohydrate is 3636 Kcal, or about a day and a half to two days for a typical man/woman living a typical life (and not riding distance)

So you're both a bit off. It's more energy than Jeff thinks, less than Richard believes.
In my OP, I stated rather specifically, "2 pounds of food". I include wrappers, rinds and peels in my weighing process along with the non-carbohydrate nutritional factors. So, in reality, I was right. "

I never mentioned 2 pounds of just carbohydrates, how would one even accomplish such a feat? Someone else made that up out of their own imagination.

My OP seems (at least it does to me) to be a pretty honest and straightforward query. I didn't expect Dick (excuse, me, Richard) to take it as an opportunity to insult my intelligence and impugn my common sense.

I guess I was wrong.
Old 06-24-19, 08:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

On this week's 1000k, I stopped at a store selling fried ham sandwiches. Not a great source of carbs, and I couldn't eat much at a time, but it was a really good supply of salt. I have had good luck with convenience store cooking, I remember one cheese steak and fries that kept me going for 100 miles. I was having trouble deciding what to eat and then I realized that everyone on both sides of the food counter could stand to lose some weight. So decision made! I had been looking for frozen burritos, which are pretty good food on a long ride.

I have started eating packaged ice cream cones. I'm not sure there is any dairy in them. The cones themselves have a fairly high number of calories, even ignoring whatever ice cream substitute they are holding.

I have had good luck with cups of noodles. More of a nighttime food in the summer.
Old 06-24-19, 08:27 PM
UniChris

In my OP, I stated rather specifically, "2 pounds of food". I include wrappers, rinds and peels in my weighing process along with the non-carbohydrate nutritional factors. So, in reality, I was right. "
Only if your intent is to be impractical, or you have no other fluid source such that incorporated water is just water you'd have to cary anyway.

I never mentioned 2 pounds of just carbohydrates, how would one even accomplish such a feat? Someone else made that up out of their own imagination.

Two pounds of powdered energy is pretty darn close to two pounds of carbs. I don't really think the snack baggies count for much, do you?

To take some specific examples:

- Gatorade powder: 22 grams carbs out of 23 grams net

- Blueberry Pop Tarts: 38 grams out of 45g; 5g of the remainder is fat at 9 kcal/gram

- Twizzlers: 27g out of 34, not entirely clear what the remainder is, 1g protein 0.5g fat

- Ensure powder: 33g out of 57g, of the difference 8g is protein 8g is fat

- Hammer perpetuem: 54g out of 69g, 7g of the remainder is protein and 2.5g fat

- Snickers: 29g out of 49g, of the rest 10g is fat and 4g is protein, leaving only 6g for water / other.

Bananas are great, and I don't always eat them exactly where I buy them, but I wouldn't count on hauling them for half a day as an energy source.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-25-19 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 06-24-19, 08:35 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
On this week's 1000k, I stopped at a store selling fried ham sandwiches. Not a great source of carbs, and I couldn't eat much at a time, but it was a really good supply of salt. I have had good luck with convenience store cooking, I remember one cheese steak and fries that kept me going for 100 miles. I was having trouble deciding what to eat and then I realized that everyone on both sides of the food counter could stand to lose some weight. So decision made! I had been looking for frozen burritos, which are pretty good food on a long ride.

I have started eating packaged ice cream cones. I'm not sure there is any dairy in them. The cones themselves have a fairly high number of calories, even ignoring whatever ice cream substitute they are holding.

I have had good luck with cups of noodles. More of a nighttime food in the summer.
A hamburger from, of all places, a Sunoco gas station once save my life on a 175k solo ride.

Also, I am amazed at how many cyclists I meet who tell me that ice cream and chocolate milk are among their go-to fuels for long rides. Dairy isn't so much a problem. For me it's lactose. Not all dairy has lactose. But I'd given up look at labels on long rides, as the print is often so small. I've only recently begun to bring reading glasses with me.

Beans are great. And the cheese in many frozen burritos is low to zero lactose. So, I've never had a problem with them. Never had one on a long ride though.
Old 06-24-19, 08:38 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I will add that success at randonneuring starts and ends with eating. It's not easy, and things often fall apart and I can't eat as much as I need to on a ride. This year's 400k was a good example, I could barely eat after the 200k mark and I felt numb when I was about 30 miles from the finish. I do things like fasted riding to try to get fat adapted. I have been reasonably successful at making it so I can ride a long way without eating much.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-24-19, 08:42 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Bananas are great, and I don't always eat them exactly where I buy them, but I wouldn't count on hauling them for half a day as an energy source.
Best to eat them early on. Very early on.

I once pushed opened bathroom door using my back. In my back middle pocket were two already-brown mushy bananas. It wasn't until I was on the road again that I discover my back pocket was full of what was essentially a baby food smear.

Full honesty: I ate them anyways.
Old 06-24-19, 08:45 PM
UniChris

Best to eat them early on. Very early on.

I once pushed opened bathroom door using my back. In my back middle pocket were two already-brown mushy bananas. It wasn't until I was on the road again that I discover my back pocket was full of what was essentially a baby food smear.

Full honesty: I ate them anyways.
I packing-taped a squeeze-pouch of actual baby food applesauce to my seatpost once. Alas it turned out to have that dreaded corn syrup aftertaste. I won't say it was necessarily ineffective, just unpleasant.

Sunday I actually forgot about the banana from the previous gas station and ended up eating it while "parked" on the porch of the next before going in.

Stopping at the same halfway place to buy a three liter of water (and rinse the salt out of your jersey in the bathroom sink) on both the northbound and southbound leg has a feeling of practical absurdity to it.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-24-19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-24-19, 09:15 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11322 Post(s)
Liked 4,636 Times in 2,702 Posts
Don't drink orange juice. For some reason, that was what I was craving, so when I hit 400K, I drank a quart. The next 200K wasn't as pleasant as I hoped. Other than that, Nutri Grain bars, Bloks, and Gatorade/Perpetuem should pull you through a 200-300k, after that, the Hostess Snowballs come out.
Old 06-25-19, 06:33 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
about a day and a half to two days for a typical man/woman living a typical life (and not riding distance)
He didn't say two days for a typical life. He said fuel for several days - the implication being that a person could ride for 5-7 days on two pounds of food. Which is wrong, he either didn't realize how much food weighs or was just being rude.

Two pounds of carbohydrate could fuel a person for several days.
I've yet to see someone use "fuel" in the context of non-sports related activities.

Back on topic - while I don't have lactose issues, it took me a while to find chocolate milk appetizing while out riding - a couple times I tried it and had an upset stomach right away. This year it's been working great, every season seems my body changes a bit in what it does and doesn't like.
Old 06-25-19, 06:38 AM
UniChris

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
He didn't say two days for a typical life. He said fuel for several days - the implication being that a person could ride for 5-7 days on two pounds of food. Which is wrong, he either didn't realize how much food weighs or was just being rude.
Richard and Jeff were both wrong.

Jeff's error was substituting water heavy bananas for the pounds of carbohydrates actually mentioned.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-25-19 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 06:56 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
You have me confused with another poster, go back and read my posts again.
Old 06-25-19, 07:01 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Again, your error was substituting water heavy bananas for the pounds of carbohydrates actually mentioned.
UniChris, if you re-read my OP you will see that you are mistaken. I never mentioned pounds of carbohydrates. I very specifically stated :

Originally Posted by AlleatherJeff
After finishing my first Brevet (200k) I realized that packing 10-12hours worth of gels, jellies,bars, dates and bananas wasn't such a bright idea. Starting out with 2 pounds of food, not to mention the bulk of such a supply, is not on the agenda for the next ride.

Assuming that there are numerous places to stop and get food on a given brevet route, I'm curious to know what types of treats and extravagances long distance cyclists like to pick up along the way over the course of 200k+ rides.

Thanks!
My post, is pretty obviously an honest query. Nothing facetious or sideways about it. Not sure how anyone could take it as an opportunity to hurl insults at an OP, namely, me. Somehow, I was the only one censored, while the original insults remain.

...he [Dick] either didn't realize how much food weighs or was just being rude.

...or both.

Yeah. Probably both.

Actually, definitely both.

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 06-25-19 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 07:13 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Back on topic - while I don't have lactose issues, it took me a while to find chocolate milk appetizing while out riding - a couple times I tried it and had an upset stomach right away. This year it's been working great, every season seems my body changes a bit in what it does and doesn't like.
My lactose issues really only got out of hand after an extended 11 month case of Giardia that I contracted from the watering fountains at Wissahickon and the Bretzwood area of Valley Forge in PA.

Now that I've finally gotten rid of the parasite, the lactose issues have (mostly) subsided and lactaid prevents the majority of dairy related stomach issues.

With this in mind, I'm definitely going to try chocolate milk and ice cream on my longer rides. I carry a wide array of digestive aids with me on every ride. (if you ever run into me on a ride, I can cover just about any digestive issue you may be having, btw).
Old 06-25-19, 07:14 AM
UniChris

UniChris, if you re-read my OP you will see that you are mistaken. I never mentioned pounds of carbohydrates.
That is a gross mischaracterization of the situation, because in actual fact you invented an argument about bananas to insult someone's statement that was specifically about carbohydrates, and not about bananas. Re-read the thread, the undeniable evidence is plain for all to see.

Bananas were your badly chosen example, not theirs, you cannot use an argument about bananas to fairly criticize someone who was not talking about bananas. Either it was an honest mistake (you somehow thought they were talking about bananas when they were not) which you still refuse to admit, or you were intentionally sneaky in making the change - continued denial of the fact that your criticism of something the other guy never said was unfair increasingly suggests your change was intentional.

The inarguable fact is that in changing a quote about carbohydrates to pretend it was about bananas that are only about 22% carbohydrate, you introduced an error of the same magnitude as the actual error of the claim you were trying to object to.

You're both wrong, and by quite comparable factors. But only you continue to deny that your change of the subject created a false criticism.

Now if you want to complain that they were wrong for proposing carbohydrates as the food to bring for your two pound allowance, in isolation from reality you might almost have a point; but anyone who knows anything about carrying or storing food knows that you cary dry stuff unless you expect to have no source of water. That's so basic to outdoors, survival, etc knowledge that it's nothing more than making a reasonable recommendation.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-25-19 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 07:28 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You are being intentionally deceitful and dishonest in characterizing the situation that way, because in actual fact you invented an argument about bananas to insult someone's statement that was specifically about carbohydrates, and not about bananas. Re-read the thread, the undeniable evidence is plain for all to see.

Bananas were your badly chosen example, not theirs, you cannot use an argument about bananas to fairly criticize someone who was not talking about bananas. Either you were intentionally sneaky in making the change, or it was an honest mistake you still refuse to admit;

The inarguable fact is that in changing a quote about carbohydrates to pretend it was about bananas that are only about 22% carbohydrate, you introduced and error of the same magnitude as the actual error of the claim you were objecting to.

You're both wrong, and by quite comparable factors. But only you continue to deny that your change of the subject created a false criticism.
UniChris,

I disagree. I have altered no quoted text. What Richard did was take my op out of context-- specifically by confounding my "2 pounds of food" with his "Two pounds of carbohydrate," which he then used as a basis for insulting not only my query, but my intelligence.

Bananas are specifically in my OP query. In full honesty, I had 3 of them to start the 200k I refer to. 3 bananas weigh roughly 3/4 of a pound. Since I am incapable of chemically separating the carbohydrates from the rest of the bananas, I have to bring them all with me. Which, after completing the 200k ride, led me to realize that bring an entire days worth of food-- not carbs, food, "2 pounds" of it to be precise-- was not a good idea for future rides.

The only one who conflated food with carbohydrates was RC, which he used as an in route for hurling not-at-all veiled insults.

I called him out for it in my initial response to him. And you censored my reply. However, his initial insults remain.

You are mistaken. The only one who changed context was RC. The intial insults were also his.
Old 06-25-19, 07:32 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
UniChris,

I humbly urge you to consider re-reading my OP and RC's initial, insulting reply in context. The only context changed was on RC's part.
Old 06-25-19, 07:33 AM
UniChris

I disagree. I have altered no quoted text. What Richard did was take my op out of context-- specifically by confounding my "2 pounds of food" with his "Two pounds of carbohydrate," which he then used as a basis for insulting not only my query, but my intelligence.
You left the door open with 2 pounds of unspecified food.

Richard made a smart, informed, extremely standard suggestion of what to bring, but made a mistaken estimate of its energy.

You then substituted a very bad choice about what to bring and further reduced the original error in energy estimate by an additional (misreading, poor choosing, or intentional deceit) error of the same magnitude.

You were both wrong. But Richard isn't still trying to pretend he wasn't.

Further, note that no one has tried to claim that your bananas would be food for multiple days; we all know exactly what you said. The issue is that bananas are not a smart way to pack calories, and that you cannot use your poor choice to criticize someone else's good choice.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-25-19 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 07:38 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
You left the door open with 2 pounds of unspecified food.

Richard made a smart, informed choice about what to bring, and made a mistaken estimate of the energy.

You then substituted a very bad choice about what to bring and further reduced the original error in energy estimate by an additional (misreading or poor choosing, take your pick) error of the same magnitude.

YOU WERE BOTH WRONG
After finishing my first Brevet (200k) I realized that packing 10-12hours worth of gels, jellies,bars, dates and bananas wasn't such a bright idea. Starting out with 2 pounds of food, not to mention the bulk of such a supply, is not on the agenda for the next ride
I was, in fact, very specific.

RC altered my query from "food" to "carbs". Then used it as an opportunity to insult me. I get it. You're ok with that.

Good day.

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 06-25-19 at 09:47 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.