Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vista Criterium Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 11:29 AM
etiuda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vista Criterium Black

Hi,

Complete novice here so be nice

I'm a proud owner of an old black Vista Criterium bike. It has "Made In Japan" labels and marking everywhere, Suntour parts, Sanyo dynamo, and looks original and vintage. No major damage but has some minor rust. I'm curious how much it is worth. Since I'm new and can't post pictures or URL, I'd be happy to share them via DM.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-03-19, 06:35 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Vista was a brand created in late 1968 by a group of independent distributors. There was no Vista company or factory, with all the bicycles being contract manufactured. Most of the Japanese manufactured Vista that surface are manufactured by Araya and, if so, the serial number will tell us the exact date of manufacture.

The Vista Criterium I've seen have been upper, entry level models with hi-tensile steel frames, stem mounted, shift levers, brake safety levers and steel rims. The SunTour equipped model often features the SR Silver cotterless cranksets with the non-standard 3 degree taper. This level of bicycle typically does not have a lot of value. In good, ready to ride condition, they generally range from $100-$125 but if it has been sitting used for 40-50 years, it could require a lot of work and value could be as low as $25-$50. Alternately, if it has been manitained and has some upgrades, the value could exceed $125, but generally not not by very much.

You can post pictures to the site. While they won't show up in this thread, they can be viewed by members in a gallery. If you post them, a member can then access them and upload them to this thread.
Old 07-03-19, 07:09 AM
etiuda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Welcome to the forum. Vista was a brand created in late 1968 by a group of independent distributors. There was no Vista company or factory, with all the bicycles being contract manufactured. Most of the Japanese manufactured Vista that surface are manufactured by Araya and, if so, the serial number will tell us the exact date of manufacture.

The Vista Criterium I've seen have been upper, entry level models with hi-tensile steel frames, stem mounted, shift levers, brake safety levers and steel rims. The SunTour equipped model often features the SR Silver cotterless cranksets with the non-standard 3 degree taper. This level of bicycle typically does not have a lot of value. In good, ready to ride condition, they generally range from $100-$125 but if it has been sitting used for 40-50 years, it could require a lot of work and value could be as low as $25-$50. Alternately, if it has been manitained and has some upgrades, the value could exceed $125, but generally not not by very much.

You can post pictures to the site. While they won't show up in this thread, they can be viewed by members in a gallery. If you post them, a member can then access them and upload them to this thread.
This is great info. Thank you for sharing, I really appreciate it.

I'm still not sure how to post pictures ...
Old 07-03-19, 03:52 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
I'm still not sure how to post pictures ...
You need ten (10) posts before you can include pictures. Say hello to a few folks, to get your ten, then show us what you found. Hope that is helpful.