Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Nothing like encouragement to increase biking

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-11, 11:19 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

This morning while warming up my daughters team (11 U playing 12 U schedule) I started to feel disoriented and confused. Then I felt pain in my upper left chest then down my left arm. I went to one knee then was able to walk off behind a vehicle because I didn't want the team, and specifically my daughter, to watch me die. Another coach noticed and came to investigate and when I waved him off he quickly got my wife who took charge and ensured the right things happened from there on out.

Several mom's at the tourney were nurses and they would hear nothing other than I got medial attention. They conceded that I was not going to allow a ambulance to visit the ball field and transported me to a nearby location to get attention. After arrival at the best local hospital they did the usual barrage of tests to inclide ekg, chest x-ray and a dye test and nothing conclusive was found. I was released with stern instructions to take the results to my family doctor (who I have not visited in years) and do whatever it is they told me to do.

I have no idea why I took a dirt nap all of a sudden. What is clear is that I need to continue to move to a healthier life-style.

My deal with the higher powers is that I need to live until my daughter graduates from high school. She is 11 now. Anything after that is a gift and I have the ability to influence the outcome of that. Given my wishes I want to see my future grandchildren grow and prosper. I hope to see that happen.

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 06-05-11 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-05-11, 07:52 AM
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that's a wake up call! Keep on biking, and best to you.
Old 06-05-11, 10:24 AM
CalPastor

Bikes: TREK 5500, Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're alright. Be sure to follow up with your doctor...Motivation for you and for the rest of us.
Old 06-05-11, 10:40 AM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CalPastor
Glad you're alright. Be sure to follow up with your doctor...Motivation for you and for the rest of us.

For sure.
Old 06-05-11, 02:22 PM
sherilinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please follow those instructions. I'm a nurse also and am a bit surprised they let you go period.
Old 06-05-11, 02:43 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hmm, when that happened to me I spent a night in the cardiac unit.

Old 06-05-11, 02:50 PM
Brutal.Roadrnr

Bikes: Trek 820, Giant Sundance DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take care of yourself WonderMonkey!

I do want to give you a bit of food for thought...
You may have had a heartattack right then and there, when that happens a lot of strain is placed on the heart (as we all know). You cycling and conditioning of the heart may have turned what could have been a tragedy into just a bad morning...but then again I am not a doctor I just play one on the internet.
Old 06-05-11, 04:00 PM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
De-nile is a river in egypt.

It shouldn't be used when you experience any of your symptoms.
Old 06-05-11, 05:06 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by sherilinn
Please follow those instructions. I'm a nurse also and am a bit surprised they let you go period.
I didn't give them an option. I didn't want the players and especially my daughter to see me get hauled off in an ambulance. As it was she was told that I wasn't feeling well and that's why I wasn't at the game and she was worried but could function. If she (and the other players) noticed that the ambulance was there and I was strapped in that would have had a significant impression.
Old 06-05-11, 05:08 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Neil_B
Hmm, when that happened to me I spent a night in the cardiac unit.
They couldn't find anything at all. I work far too many hours, coach ball, etc. etc. etc. and I'm hoping it is just a signal that beyond a certain point my body is saying "Hey.... dumbass, slow down.".
Old 06-05-11, 05:09 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Brutal.Roadrnr
Take care of yourself WonderMonkey!

I do want to give you a bit of food for thought...
You may have had a heartattack right then and there, when that happens a lot of strain is placed on the heart (as we all know). You cycling and conditioning of the heart may have turned what could have been a tragedy into just a bad morning...but then again I am not a doctor I just play one on the internet.
I'm merely an intern on the internet so I have a ways to go to your internet doctor..... but you may be right. Even though I've only been back on the bike a short while it is unknown what that may have done for me in that situation.
Old 06-05-11, 08:35 PM
perspiration
already soaked

Bikes: 2011 Surly Crosscheck, 2014 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As traumatizing as seeing you get taken off in an ambulance could've been, wouldn't it be more traumatizing to have died? Ambulances save lives, especially in heart attack situations.

I'm glad to hear you're ok, though...take it easy but stay on the bike!
Old 06-05-11, 10:06 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by perspiration
As traumatizing as seeing you get taken off in an ambulance could've been, wouldn't it be more traumatizing to have died? Ambulances save lives, especially in heart attack situations.

I'm glad to hear you're ok, though...take it easy but stay on the bike!
Sure, understood and I did consider that.
Old 06-05-11, 10:53 PM
cod.peace

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by perspiration
No kidding. The male ego can be lethal.
Old 06-05-11, 10:56 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by cod.peace
No kidding. The male ego can be lethal.
It was more I was thinking of what my daughter would go through.
Old 06-06-11, 11:56 AM
Erwin8r

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep riding, Wondermonkey, and if nothing else, your desire to see your daughter graduate (and your deal with your higher power) makes it your duty to take care of yourself and set aside your ego when it comes to required medical attention. As the father of 6, and one very ill daughter in the hospital, I can tell you with certainty that if nothing else, we owe it to them to be around for a few more years... I feel you on the whole ambulance thing, but...
Old 06-06-11, 11:58 AM
WonderMonkey

Family doctor appointment this morning. My BP is a bit high, I could lose some weight, etc. She scheduled me for a stress test then a full physical towards the end of this month.
Old 06-06-11, 03:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Depends where you live, but I'm surprised they didn't give you a heart cath while you were in the ER. It's about the quickest, most accurate way to find out if you've got cardiac blockages. Stress tests get a lot of press, but they're not all that accurate -- too many false positives / false negatives.
Old 06-06-11, 05:16 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Erwin8r
Keep riding, Wondermonkey, and if nothing else, your desire to see your daughter graduate (and your deal with your higher power) makes it your duty to take care of yourself and set aside your ego when it comes to required medical attention. As the father of 6, and one very ill daughter in the hospital, I can tell you with certainty that if nothing else, we owe it to them to be around for a few more years... I feel you on the whole ambulance thing, but...
Good words.

To help on keeping on track I'm continuing to recruit others into the fun. A have a co-worker (who is now in the forums) that has caught the commuting bug. I have a neighbor and co-coach who is meeting me tomorrow morning for a 6 am ride. My wife has insisted I get another bike (my current one is just fine, she is just trying to motivate me). And so on. If I know I have someone waiting to commute or do a morning ride I'll get out and go. Otherwise I may roll back over and sleep more.
Old 06-06-11, 05:36 PM
Dale_S
Lurking

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Imola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep riding, see your Doctor, ask plenty of questions, and don't hold back any info from him/her. Let the Doctor know you intend to go out and peddle, that will help determine what meds they give, some are not exercise friendly, while others are. Glad to see your are alright.
If your BP is high, make sure you get it treated, it is called the "Silent Killer" for a reason. I had not been to my Doctor for years, first visit for a physical to keep the wife off my backside about never going, and she said it was the only thing she wanted for Christmas. I spent 2 days in cardiac care unit at 42 years of age, transported via the meat wagon from the Doctors Office, they would not let me drive, nor would they let me leave under my own power, and I was not about to let them call my wife to come and take me, I would have had a cardiac from listening to her on the way. There is nothing like having every electronic gadget in the hospital hooked up to you, not being able to go to the bathroom without direct supervision (Why a female nurse can't help you is beyond me), seeing everyone else in there is twice your age, and everywhere you go in there they carry their jump starter waiting for you to need it. It is an eye opener. Try explaining to your 16 your old why you are in there, and trying to explain what you didn't do right in a parental fashion.
Take care of yourself, for you first, your family second. You can't take care of them until you take care of yourself. Good luck.
Old 06-06-11, 10:07 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
They couldn't find anything at all. I work far too many hours, coach ball, etc. etc. etc. and I'm hoping it is just a signal that beyond a certain point my body is saying "Hey.... dumbass, slow down.".
It could be. When I was hospitalized in December 2005 I had to be given a drug to simulate the effect of exercise for the stress test. Five years later I have a resting heart rate of 50 and excellent stats for a man my age. Guess what happened over those five years. :-)

Old 06-30-11, 09:44 PM
WonderMonkey

Won the lottery?