Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain ring bolts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain ring bolts

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-21, 08:21 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Chain ring bolts

I discovered yesterday that the reason my chain was rubbing on the front derailleur on a ride was because 3 of the 5 chain ring bolts on my Sram red road bike were missing. I have been doing some gravel rides; one with significant washboard on the route. Nevertheless I'm pretty surprised that this could happen.

My question is should I use loctite one these bolts? When I removed the remaining "regular" bolt it was not tight. The "hidden bolt" was actually hard to remove because it had some sort of loctite (green stuff) on it. Any suggestions about keeping these bolts from loosening and falling out in the future?
Old 12-12-21, 08:29 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
I asked a similar question a few months ago. Some say loctite, some say grease.
Old 12-12-21, 08:32 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
It sounds like they were installed without sufficient torque initially. Blue Locktite (Grade 242) should help but really shouldn't be needed if the bolts are torqued properly. Don't use any of the high strength red or green Locktite grades if you ever want to remove them in the future without heat.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-12-21, 09:40 AM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm reading threads on torque wrenches. I need one because I am not a pro and I don't work on my bikes enough to have a "feel" (which is not worth much anyway, imo). Now I gotta find those bolts hopefully at a shop today. Amazon has them but I don't want to wait days for them.
Old 12-12-21, 02:11 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,908 Times in 2,331 Posts
I use grease because it allows a tighter torque with less damage/galling and has more long term corrosion resistance then nothing on the threads. And it's easier to retighten or loosen to service in the future then LockTite does.

Whatever you do I strongly suggest revisiting the bolts periodically and checking for continued tightness. If there are still a couple that have not loosened then their torque might be considered enough for the job. Andy
Old 12-12-21, 09:09 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 66 Posts
You got lucky. I had a chain ring bolt come loose and wedge under the chainstay which resuled in a nice sized dent. Got a new frame under warranty.
Old 12-12-21, 09:13 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse x2, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata 3

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked 1,501 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I use grease because it allows a tighter torque with less damage/galling and has more long term corrosion resistance then nothing on the threads. And it's easier to retighten or loosen to service in the future then LockTite does.

Whatever you do I strongly suggest revisiting the bolts periodically and checking for continued tightness. If there are still a couple that have not loosened then their torque might be considered enough for the job. Andy
I used Permatex anti-seize left over from installing spark plugs.
Old 12-13-21, 09:55 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I have a strategy for adding grease to chainring bolts so you are less likely to need a chainring bolt spanner when disassembling - add grease only to the threads, and make sure the outside surfaces of the 'nut' side of the chainring bolts are bone dry - no lube of any type on the outsides that contact the chainring or crank spider. This will allow the bolts to be well tightened as the friction between the unlubricated outer part of the bolt and the chainring will keep the nut from spinning when you tighten, and the grease will keep the threads form seizing up over time. I am usually able to use a single allen key to loosen and remove chainring bolts that have been thus treated.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 12-13-21, 11:15 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I have a strategy for adding grease to chainring bolts so you are less likely to need a chainring bolt spanner when disassembling - add grease only to the threads, and make sure the outside surfaces of the 'nut' side of the chainring bolts are bone dry - no lube of any type on the outsides that contact the chainring or crank spider. This will allow the bolts to be well tightened as the friction between the unlubricated outer part of the bolt and the chainring will keep the nut from spinning when you tighten, and the grease will keep the threads form seizing up over time. I am usually able to use a single allen key to loosen and remove chainring bolts that have been thus treated.
For the past 50 years, I have done the opposite. A light film of grease on all contact surfaces. Allows full torque on the bolts without worrying about galling of the contact surfaces or bolts/nuts "sticking" as they are tightened against dry surfaces. Obviously a corrosion preenter as well. I discovered this approach when I got my first truly high-end bike from Italy and found that this is how the bike was assembled.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 12-13-21, 11:42 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts

All of what Andy said, plus I use Tef-Gel on the male threads only after thoroughly cleaning all threads and mating surfaces. Finger tight hen torque per manufacturer's spec; I like to torque them to about 2/3 in a "star" pattern (like auto lug bolts/nuts), then finish in the same pattern. Takes an extra 20 seconds. Hold the nuts with the little Park tool or its clones.
Old 12-13-21, 03:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
All of what Andy said, plus I use Tef-Gel on the male threads only after thoroughly cleaning all threads and mating surfaces. Finger tight hen torque per manufacturer's spec; I like to torque them to about 2/3 in a "star" pattern (like auto lug bolts/nuts), then finish in the same pattern. Takes an extra 20 seconds. Hold the nuts with the little Park tool or its clones.
For items that are relatively flexible and are not subject to needing critical alignment w/ contacting parts there's no need for cross retorquing of the bolts. Unlike cylinder heads a brake rotor of chainwheel isn't at risk of cracking or warping.

But if cross threading is what it takes for you to take all the other precautions, then cross tighten away. Andy
Old 12-15-21, 12:48 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
For the past 50 years, I have done the opposite. A light film of grease on all contact surfaces. Allows full torque on the bolts without worrying about galling of the contact surfaces or bolts/nuts "sticking" as they are tightened against dry surfaces. Obviously a corrosion preenter as well. I discovered this approach when I got my first truly high-end bike from Italy and found that this is how the bike was assembled.
Galling or sticking between the 'nut' and the chainring or spider is not that bad - you don't want the nut to turn, but to stay in place when tightening or loosening the bolt.m... but it won't gall if the bolt is properly torqued because it won't move without tools. Some grease on the faces of the bolt side is not a bad idea, but less necessary. Just the threads need it.
Old 12-16-21, 09:08 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
But if cross threading is what it takes for you to take all the other precautions, then cross tighten away. Andy
Sounds a bit drastic as a learning experience.
Old 12-16-21, 10:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by HillRider
Sounds a bit drastic as a learning experience.
Dave- Perhaps a Freudian slip? Andy