Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finding road shoes that fit high arches/wide(ish?) foot

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-24-18, 03:28 PM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the last 7 years, I've been using a pair of inexpensive Nashbar branded road shoes. Somehow, I got lucky and they've fit great and caused no issues.

They're a bit worn out now though and I've been trying to find a pair that fits. I wear between a 9.5-10D in running shoes, so I should be between a 43/44 in cycling shoes. However, I keep finding the shoes to not fit right. A lot of them are too narrow or I have issues with heel slippage. I don't think I have a very wide foot, but I do have high arches. My current shoes are 2 Velco and 1 Ratchet straps.

Shoes I've tried:

Scott Road Pro: Size 43 seemed a little too narrow in the midfoot. Size 44 I couldn't latch down the clasp tight enough (ran out of clicks on the ratchet) thus heel slipped

Shimano RC7 - Size 43E - Fit excellent in the forefoot, heel cup was too big - BOA system also caused discomfort on top of my arch when tightening down

Shimano RP3 - Size 44 - Overall decent fitting - Seemed cheaply made though and the sole seemed flexible

Louis Garneau Signature 84 - Size 44 -- too narrow

Overall, I'm not sure where to go. While I love the concept of the BOA system, the ones that have it going through the midfoot makes it too tight on my high arch. This means either dual BOA or a BOA system that only covers the top (ankle) area -- if this exists? I looked at the Lake 176 wide but it has the same BOA setup as the Shimano, meaning I'd have arch pain again. I'm OK spending up to $150 as I know the shoes will last a number of years, but don't really want to go to the $200++ range.

Any other alternatives?
Old 09-24-18, 03:41 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Try Sidi mega road shoes. Mega means wide. I'm on my third pair. Never had a problem with them.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-24-18, 04:49 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
My local Specialized shop fits you for their shoes, including the proper inserts for arch support.
Old 09-24-18, 06:24 PM
pattrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
instep.....? problem with the top boa closure?

I have a modestly high instep [top of foot between toes and ankle], as well as using insoles with higher arch support, and yes also wide unfortunately. I have a Performance bike shop not to far away and have tried on several Giro and Pearl Izumi models of their mountain bike shoes and have found several that fit nicely enough. I bought one pair of Giros for wet weather and mud and they have held up nicely considering. I tried all the Shimanos including the wide models to no avail. Currently enjoying Sidi mega wides as everyday shoes. Saddles and shoes, fit is so vital yet so hard to find a decent selection to try easily I wish you good luck in your endeavors.
Old 09-24-18, 10:16 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I have a very wide foot with high arches, too. I worked in a shop that sold bike shoes, and found three that worked for me. Best was Giro Privateer HV (high volume), next was any Sidi Mega, and the third was Scott shoes with Boa lacing.
Old 09-25-18, 04:00 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Seems like Lake and Northwest have high quality non-narrow bike shoes that fit me. After buying a new bike last year that came with a bike fit, including cleat fitting and a discount on replacement insoles (or footpads, the inserts that go in shoes) I've become a convert to using them. I found cheaper ones than the custom heat molded ones, on sale at REI with choice of arch levels, etc. They seem to work as well as the custom ones.
Old 09-25-18, 05:50 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I have a wide foot with a very high arch, and instep. Always buy cycling shoes with laces, that way you can leave the bottom and mid lacing loose so it goes over your arch.

Last edited by rydabent; 09-25-18 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-25-18, 06:18 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
Not sure how the lacing system affects the arch of your foot, since the arch is on the sole of your foot. If you have a high arch, you might want to consider a footbed with arch support. I use Aetrex supports, personally, though there are many others you can try. I would talk to someone knowledgeable about fitting shoes (a good shoe store; someone at your LBS who is trained to fit shoes; or better yet a podiatrist).

Lacing would affect your instep. If you have a high instep, then you may need more room than is normally available in a standard cycling shoe. Some shoes have adjustable retention straps at the top. I've never tried any of the boa systems, I hear that the dual boa systems (separate boa laces for top and bottom of foot) are best in these circumstances, but I can't say from personal experience.

A high instep often goes along with difficulty with heel lift, I hear that there are shoes with mouldable heel cups, you might look into that.

If you have a wide foot, you might try Sidi Megas or any of the other shoes known to have wider toe boxes (Northwave, I hear, Lake possibly - sorry, I've never tried them). I did try Carnacs, but the footbed was a terrible fit for me, and this was before I had switched to my own footbed recommended by my podiatrist so I didn't try them with a better footbed.

I have wide (EEE) feet, with a high arch and a high instep. Like you, I've had trouble with straps too tight across my instep, heel lift, cramped toes and cramping feet. I've been using Sidi Mega Genius shoes, with the top padded strap moved out to a setting where it is centered on my foot when tightened, and an arch support footbed with a metatarsal button (you can see why it might be best to talk to a podiatrist) for the past 15+ years, and that works well for me. The shoe is comfortable enough for me to cycle up to 6 hours without discomfort, and the footbed helps to support my arches and to hold my heel in position. I do still sometimes get some numbness, and in hot weather I have to remember to loosen all my shoe straps after a while or I get a hotfoot under the ball of my foot, but overall this solution has worked well. I'd really like to try a boa shoe one of these days to see if it would be better, but I'm cautious about messing with something that isn't broken.

Last edited by noimagination; 09-25-18 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-25-18, 08:05 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
I don't have wide feet, but I did recently have a bout with plantar fasciitis. The foot doc (acutally a couple of them) recommended PowerSter Protec insoles (yes, they also sell them). But it did take care of my foot problem, and they have great arch support. I don't wear any shoe without them now, and zero problems since I started using them. Might be worth a try. (No, I don't have any affiliation with the company). https://www.powersteps.com/catalogse...CH+FULL+LENGTH
Old 09-25-18, 08:17 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
maybe get the width right and then add some arch supports
Old 09-25-18, 09:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
I have seen Rocket 7 custom shoes in every Velo News, classified adds ,
for years..
Old 09-25-18, 01:39 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Getting cycling shoes wide enough has always been a problem. There has always been to much Italian influence on shoes, since they apparently have very narrow feet.