Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wore out my first studded tire

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Wore out my first studded tire

Old 01-01-17, 04:47 PM
fatso
so busy...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting post - thanks for the info. I mainly use the same tire in winter too. Probably have 4-5000 miles on these tires. Like the other commenter, I've never had a flat (and I commute through manhattan). You probably could have avoided your flat tires if you had replaced the tires earlier. I retired one of these tires at about 3k miles - the center block tread was almost worn flat in the middle of the tire and the studs had become a bit rounded. Stud to rubber wear is about even. Sidewalls casing and rubber were fine as these tires had only 1 1/2 seasons use. I could have used them a bit more (with some performance diminishment) but got some good deals on tires so replaced them early. Last spring I was able to find a few of these for between 30 and 40 dollars on eBay and amazon. Am set for a few years now.
Old 03-16-19, 11:03 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
The second marathon winter on my bike is finally starting to wear down enough to give me flats. The front one has about 5,122 km on it. I'll have to keep an eye open for spring sales.
Old 03-17-19, 04:54 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
[QUOTE=Rick Imby;19274215]I have almost always run home made studs. I first studded tires in 87 with roofing nails. They pushed back out quickly.

I now use self drilling hardened K-lath screws. I put an old inner tube I have sliced around the inside over a thorn tube.

I run these at max psi for the tire.

Awesome. Could you be persuaded to post some pictures?
Old 03-18-19, 08:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
question for you cold weather guys. Are you using studded tires on the street or offroad
yes!

Old 03-18-19, 10:39 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
The second marathon winter on my bike is finally starting to wear down enough to give me flats. The front one has about 5,122 km on it. I'll have to keep an eye open for spring sales.
I wore out a set last year at around the same mileage. First I thought it was a one-off for the front, but the rear went the very next day, so it was time.
Old 03-18-19, 12:02 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
My studs are fortunately still rolling along. I did, however, wear out my first shovel this winter. The lack of wear on the tires and wearing out of the shovel are related.
Old 03-18-19, 12:24 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
My studs are fortunately still rolling along. I did, however, wear out my first shovel this winter. The lack of wear on the tires and wearing out of the shovel are related.
Can you elaborate a little more, what is the connection between the studs and the shovel?

Did you get a piece of that "bombo-genesis" in the upper midwest last week?
Old 03-18-19, 12:53 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
Can you elaborate a little more, what is the connection between the studs and the shovel?

Did you get a piece of that "bombo-genesis" in the upper midwest last week?
Oh, yeah. We got like 3x the normal snowfall in my area (La Crosse, WI) in January - early March. Since the town isn't set up for it, the roads were barely maintained, and there was thick rutted ice everywhere for a couple of months. Whereas I usually get in some nice 15-20 mile road rides on light snow and ice, I gave up riding anywhere except to work and back. In the meantime, removing all that ice from my property kind of wore out the shovel!

No bombogenesis here. I think it might have gone south - we just got rain and moderate wind. It's actually kind of interesting; the bad storms that hit Chicago, etc. are usually too far south to hit here, and we tend to get ones that track up through the UP and into Canada.
Old 03-18-19, 01:15 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
I'm going to replace some of the studs in my 45NRTH Dillingers. I've run them for two winters, riding them on trails and roads. The roads wear down center-line of studs fairly fast. I'll be trying the 45NRTH XL studs see if these last longer with better grip on bare ice.

Reference, this is what I do with studded tires:
Old 03-18-19, 01:55 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm going to replace some of the studs in my 45NRTH Dillingers. I've run them for two winters, riding them on trails and roads. The roads wear down center-line of studs fairly fast. I'll be trying the 45NRTH XL studs see if these last longer with better grip on bare ice.

Reference, this is what I do with studded tires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4xobVIU1w
That's really gutsy that you take to the frozen lakes like that!

I have a pair of the 45NRTH Xerxes, for dry pavement only. I have positive experiences with them. They don't do well is slush but they exceed expectations in fresh snowpack.