Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Ergon bike saddles?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Ergon bike saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 10:51 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Ergon bike saddles?

Anyone here have any experience with Ergon saddles? Looking for some background on the quality and what modeles you have used.
Thanks, Frank.
P/s: Going to also post this in the over 50+ forum.
Old 05-24-19, 11:57 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
P/s: Going to also post this in the over 50+ forum.
why? its disfavored..
Old 05-24-19, 03:20 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Originally Posted by fietsbob
why? its disfavored..
What do you mean with this? Have I done something wrong? If so I do apologize. I posted in both of these as I am well over 50 and I ride a Hybrid.
Frank.
Old 05-24-19, 07:32 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
What do you mean with this? Have I done something wrong? If so I do apologize. I posted in both of these as I am well over 50 and I ride a Hybrid.
Frank.
So-called "cross posting" is generally frowned upon, especially as a means of increasing one's post count (which you're clearly not doing). With a site as vast as Bike Forums, the forums are so specialized that it's common for something to be relevant to multiple sections. And because of the sheer size of this place, it's simply not possible for people to see all posts for which they might have insight. I personally don't think it's harmful in a case like this.

Unfortunately, I don't have any insight into this specific subject. Ergon saddles seem to be popular lately, and I do see them on a number of YouTube videos (I think they sponsor the GCN channel). I've not personally tried one to know how well they would fit me.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-24-19, 09:04 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 95 Posts
I used an Ergon SFC3 saddle on my Trek DS2. Well made. Moderate gel padding. However, the relief channel didn't work for me and I moved to saddles with a cut-out.
Likes For good4u:
Old 05-24-19, 09:10 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
So-called "cross posting" is generally frowned upon, especially as a means of increasing one's post count (which you're clearly not doing). With a site as vast as Bike Forums, the forums are so specialized that it's common for something to be relevant to multiple sections. And because of the sheer size of this place, it's simply not possible for people to see all posts for which they might have insight. I personally don't think it's harmful in a case like this.

Unfortunately, I don't have any insight into this specific subject. Ergon saddles seem to be popular lately, and I do see them on a number of YouTube videos (I think they sponsor the GCN channel). I've not personally tried one to know how well they would fit me.
Thank you for the explanation and I honestly was not trying to pull something. I am so confused as to what is the best next move for me to get a seat the is comfortable for my boney old butt.
Again, I apologize, Frank.
Old 05-24-19, 09:13 PM
GailT

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I have a Ergon SMC4 that I'm happy with - I used it on my road bike for 50 mile rides, no pain or numbness. I eventually moved it to my mountain bike when I found a better saddle for my road bike. They are designed by Ergon but made by Selle Italia, and I think they are good quality saddles. The SMC4 is flat and easy to move around on.
Likes For GailT:
Old 05-24-19, 09:16 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by good4u
I used an Ergon SFC3 saddle on my Trek DS2. Well made. Moderate gel padding. However, the relief channel didn't work for me and I moved to saddles with a cut-out.
Thank you for your response. What make and model seat did you end up with? I am so completely lost with finding the right type of seat I am ready to scream. I would pull my hair out but most of that is already gone. I did get a measurement of my sit bones so at least that is a step in the right direction. I found out that the seat that came with my bike is too narrow and I believe the cutout would help in my situation.
Frank.
Old 05-24-19, 10:46 PM
good4u

Bikes: Trek DS 2 and Cannondale Topstone

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you for your response. What make and model seat did you end up with? I am so completely lost with finding the right type of seat I am ready to scream. I would pull my hair out but most of that is already gone. I did get a measurement of my sit bones so at least that is a step in the right direction. I found out that the seat that came with my bike is too narrow and I believe the cutout would help in my situation.
Frank.

It was an Ergon SFC3 Gel. The least expensive of the SFC3 saddles although I don't recall whether their lineup changed. It has a relief channel versus a cutout like I ultimately went to. I empathize with the problem of finding a saddle that works for you and the difficulty of reading information and opinions about something you end up sitting on. I have several saddles in my spare parts box.

What issues are you dealing with? Comfort? Numbness? Saddle width issues? How much time in the saddle have you had recently and with a particular saddle?

In changing saddles I found that the saddle height needs to account for the particular saddle. For example, after the Ergon I tried an impulse purchase saddle that was quite a bit thicker (taller) than the Ergon but in my haste to get a ride in I did not lower the seat height so my saddle was too high and caused a big, big problem.
Likes For good4u:
Old 05-25-19, 07:02 AM
Helderberg

What issues are you dealing with? Comfort? Numbness? Saddle width issues? How much time in the saddle have you had recently and with a particular saddle?

All of these and time in saddle, 1.5 - 2 hours 4-5 days a week. The stock Cannondale fitness saddle and a Cloud 9 are the two I have been using. I finally got an accurate measurement for my sit bones and now know for certain that the seats I have been trying are too narrow. The perineal area, sit bones, sliding forward, are my issues. I do not have padded shorts but do have riding shorts with liners and do not wear other underclothes with them. This is very frustrating but I am not going through anything that many here have also gone through. I will figure it out and finding a bike store near me to get a seat fitting is becoming more and more realistic.
Thanks again for all the input people, Frank.
Old 05-25-19, 01:19 PM
Helderberg

Well, here is where I am as of today. After getting my sit bones measurement I went on line, looking at a seat, the "chat" window opened and I asked if the seat I was looking at was the correct seat for my sit bones measurement? The person said no and told me I would need a wider seat. Went out into my garage and dug out a seat my wife found at Walmart on the clearance rack for $5.00. Measured it and it is a full inch wider than what I have been trying so I mounted it on my 3. Went out today and found out that I have been running in circles and would have continued to have bought the wrong saddles without the measurement as a good starting point. I had to adjust the tilt, front to back, and height but got it close enough to realize that I am within striking distance with this saddle and will now move forward with at least some confidence.
Bottom line, get your sit bones measured and then go from there. What a difference a little knowledge can do.
Frank.
Old 05-26-19, 05:37 AM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ergon saddles are very well made and well designed saddles
Likes For etw:
Old 05-26-19, 01:54 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I put a Selle Respiro on my Crosstrail Sport and it was love at first sit. I'm in my 60's and this seat made a huge difference to my comfort - enough to encourage me to ride more often and much further distances than with the original Specialized saddle.
Likes For timgriffin2: