Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bad idea? Spray painting bike frame without stripping paint or using primer

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bad idea? Spray painting bike frame without stripping paint or using primer

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-10, 08:26 PM
CPFITNESS
Banned

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ghostm42
It shouldn't need to be said, but bring it OUTDOORS for spray paint work. Even then, I wore an N95 respirator and work goggles. After removing the respirator, I could still see a fading trail of paint trying to run down the side of my nose and into my nostrils. Glad I wore the mask.
Bull****, the high i got from painting mine indoors in my 700 sq foot manhattan apt can't be beat!

Nice work, I just hit mine with two simple coats and now I kinda wish I did do a little more work on it. I may still strip everything down and sand it good and do something like what you did.
Replacing the crank is definately the next step on this bike. the stocker is only 170mm and i'm a pretty tall guy and the way the saddle sets up just isn't quite right. Perhaps when it's time to pull the crank I'll strip everything off again and go at it. I'm satisfied enough with the rattle cans that I don't think i'll make a full investment in powdercoating it. Here are some after pics of this bike put together, some of you have probably seen them in other threads. this was a bike i bought off the street for 30 bucks so i could get my feet wet with a drop bar bike having only a flat bar giant rapid. so far I love it, it rides incredibly smooth and i feel the difference inthe geometry. The flat bar setup relies heavily on my hammies but this bike really lets me get my quads involved and despite having 2 torn ligaments in my left knee, I can still put the hammer down a bit and feel the difference.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0140 (Large)..jpg (99.9 KB, 321 views)
IMAG0141 (Large)..jpg (100.5 KB, 305 views)
IMAG0139 (Large)..jpg (97.0 KB, 336 views)
IMAG0142 (Large)..jpg (101.1 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by CPFITNESS; 07-07-10 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-28-12, 12:43 PM
Dilberto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Can be done, with great results!

The following conditions apply:

a) Mainly if new paint is same as existing color
b) Decals and lettering is to be saved
c) No rust or oxidation under the old paint is present
d) Surface prep and time is critical for success

The best cover-up paint for bicycle frames, is Dupli-Color 500F Engine Enamel with Ceramic. It's UV resistant and with proper heat curing - will withstand any oils and solvents a bike normally uses. First, clean the frame of any oils and thoroughly dry it. Then, touch-up any deep scratches and paint chips with nail enamel in the best matching color as the old paint. Use enough to cover up the chip and then some. Nail enamel works great simply because there is never a shortage of available colors to match and it's fairly cheap. It also does not require primer, because fingernails flex often and bike frames will not rattle it apart. Sand it down evenly, with 400-grit sandpaper when dried for a full 24 hours.

Mask decals and lettering by using blue, low-tack Painter's Tape. Lay a strip on clean glass and measure, cut and apply over the graphic, with as little tape overlap as possible. This way the cover-up paint job will look seamless. Burnish the tape with a pencil eraser, so the new paint will not seep into the tape.

Always rough-up the old paint, so the new will adhere to it permanently. In fact, the old paint acts as primer, as long as its not rusted or oxidized underneath. Use a 400-grit paper and "give it tooth" all over the frame. The first coat of paint should be so light - you can still see the touch-ups and faintly see the old paint scuffed. Many rattle-can paint jobs chip and flake away simply because the owner got too anxious to finish the job and gave it one huge, thick coat and assembled the bike the next day. Follow the instructions per the can...and it will LAST. Ideally, the first two coats should be light, and the remaining two should be heavier. Always give it 10-15 minutes flash time between coats. Do all this outside in the Sun, for best results.

The final steps is what makes this task a success, with a lasting, chip-free finish: with the frame fully suspended at either the head tube or bottom bracket - place a 150w heat lamp three inches from the frame, starting at the rear dropout. This will heat cure the paint at exactly 200 degrees F. You don't need any more heat than that, especially if the frame is 6061 or 7075-Series, thin-walled, butted aluminum alloy. A curing temp of 200F for 30 minutes, is perfect to NOT reverse the annealing(heat treatment) of an alloy frame. After 30min - move the heat lamp to another part of the frame, so the heated portion can cool - precisely where ultimate paint hardening occurs. Do this heat curing in stages, so each part of the frame has a chance to heat/cool down properly. Without this baking of the paint - you would have to wait approximately FOUR WEEKS for full, air-dried curing to effect. The true benefit of heat curing is the touted benefits of chemical, oil and solvent resistance....aside from an ironclad finish. Heat cure the entire frame 3x over and then let it sit for another 7 days in an environment above 60 degrees F with zero humidity, before finally assembling.

I have 7 years of near-perfect durability, on my 2001 Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra commuter bike. The Engine Enamel finish is close to a true Powercoating as you can get. Take the time to fill-in and sand down the imperfections, and this job will look 98% of a professional automotive paint job....for a fraction of the cost!

Last edited by Dilberto; 12-29-12 at 09:04 AM. Reason: add text
Old 12-28-12, 01:01 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
I've rattle can painted old bikes. prep is everything, do good prep, it comes out great. do sloppy prep, it comes out sloppy. prepping a bike frame with sandpaper is incredibly time consuming due to all the nooks and crannies and tight radiuses. sandblasting ROCKS, but requires a far higher volume compressor than the cheap one I have.

last cheap frame I rattle canned:

(the BB was sacraficial, I was replacing it with a shimano sealed unit anyways... the brake bosses and fork bearing cones were masking taped)

final result:

we have a powder coating shop here in town, they will sandblast and powdercoat a bike frame and forks for about $150. you have to bring it to them completely disassembled, all bearings etc removed. they powder coat bikes for a couple of the local custom frame builders, as well as stuff like playground equipment. these paint jobs are every bit as good as a brand new bikes.
Old 12-28-12, 01:15 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
FWIW the most durable rattle can paint job I have personally done was over the existing paint. I painted a frame and fork, but for whatever reason only stripped the frame to bare metal.

I roughed up the paint on the fork, exposing primer in most places. Sprayed a little primer over that and then color and clear. The frame chipped like crazy, had to be constantly touched up. The fork is still perfect, not a single chip after years of use.
Take this advice and run. If it chips, re-spray. In the future you can powdercoat it should you desire. For now, spray it down and ride the butch.
Old 12-28-12, 01:31 PM
Dilberto

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
I've rattle can painted old bikes. prep is everything, do good prep, it comes out great. do sloppy prep, it comes out sloppy. prepping a bike frame with sandpaper is incredibly time consuming due to all the nooks and crannies and tight radiuses. sandblasting ROCKS, but requires a far higher volume compressor than the cheap one I have.

last cheap frame I rattle canned:

(the BB was sacraficial, I was replacing it with a shimano sealed unit anyways... the brake bosses and fork bearing cones were masking taped)

final result:

we have a powder coating shop here in town, they will sandblast and powdercoat a bike frame and forks for about $150. you have to bring it to them completely disassembled, all bearings etc removed. they powder coat bikes for a couple of the local custom frame builders, as well as stuff like playground equipment. these paint jobs are every bit as good as a brand new bikes.
What a beautiful, awesome restoration! I feel compelled to post pix of my bike now....coming soon.
Old 12-28-12, 01:33 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
Every paint job I have ever seen that was over the old paint looked atrocious and chipped and peeled badly after a short time. One advantage to this is that the bike will probably not be stolen... I like to call this 'uglifying' the bike.

I have had good luck completely stripping the frame and repainting with Rustoleum or similar cheap hardwear-store brand spraypaint. I had one townie bike I did like this that lasted months without any significant chipping (but then was stolen :/).
That's been my experience too. Everytime that I try to "cheat" on the surface preperation, I regret it in the long run.
Old 12-28-12, 02:02 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Dilberto
What a beautiful, awesome restoration! I feel compelled to post pix of my bike now....coming soon.
that was my first attempt at building a 'lightweight cruiser' flatbar bike.

the pictures do hide the paint blems there were grinder marks all over from using a wire wheel on an electric drill to try and remove old paint. that red was actually two coats of red over 1 light primer coat over half bare metal and half the original crappy dark green metallic. I used Krylon brand spray paint.

this is what I started with...

(I bought it as a frame with wheels, those are new tires and a new cheap seat and seatpost, note there's no chain, gears, or brakes)

while the bike came out like I envisioned, it turned out that no amount of tall seatpost can make up for a frame that's way too small, so I ended up selling that bike to a petit little college girl here in town (via craigslist) to whom it was much better suited. I did swap the FSA crankset and put the original triple back on, and I saved my nice vintage suntour thumb shifters, and flat bar, and put back on the riser bar and some sram grip-shifters. I left the new 40mm Michelin "City" tires on it as they didn't fit the replacement frame I rebuilt. she was quite happy, as she wanted an inexpensive commuter bike that was fast enough on pavement but could handle light dirt duty, and all the $200 mountain bikes she'd ridden were heavy clunkers and needed all kinda fixing.

when I sold it, it looked like this...
Old 07-02-19, 09:47 PM
Jem22

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used paint thinner on my bike to get the paint off then I sanded it
Old 07-03-19, 05:34 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Jem22
I used paint thinner on my bike to get the paint off then I sanded it
Really? In what world does paint thinner actually removed dry paint? Paint thinner, solvent, Varsol, call it what you want is used for degreasing bikes and in no way takes off paint.

I am always leery of first time posters dragging up seven year old threads to post nonsense comments. Something doesn't smell right and it is not the paint thinner.
Old 07-03-19, 08:23 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
This thread is ancient. If interested in the subject, let’s start a new thread.