Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Add external speed sensor to Wahoo Kickr

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-19, 06:32 PM
morningsun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just want to throw this out there incase someone has the same scenario like I do. I have to add a speed sensor to the Wahoo Kickr Turbo Trainer. Why you ask since the turbo trainer already has a speed sensor? Reason 1: I need to put speed on my Garmin Forerunner 645 watch and the watch could not detect the Wahoo Kickr's speed sensor. I have emailed Wahoo and they can't help me either. Reason 2: I want my Wahoo ELMNT to display my bike's power meter instead of the Kickr's power meter and still show the Wahoo's Kickr's speed. The Elmnt doesn't have a feature to select which sensor data to display when there there device that provide the same type of data. If I uses the Kickr's speed sensor, the Elmnt would display the power from the Kickr, not from my Bike arm. Complicated enough? Since the Trainer doesn't have a bike wheel for me to attach a speed sensor to the wheel hub, what to do? I have to do some hacking and it seem to work so far. I stick a Wahoo speed sensor to the Kickr's pulley wheel. I uses the Wahoo app to set the correct wheel size, trial and error here, until it's speed matches with the Kick's speed. I used this wheel size on my Garmin watch as well. Now, here is what I ended up with: Zwift app getting speed and power from Kickr, cadence from my bike crank arm, and HR from my Garmin watch. Garmin watch is getting speed from Wahoo speed sensor and my bike's cadence sensor. Wahoo Elmnt is getting power and cadence from my bike and speed from the hacked Wahoo speed sensor, HR from the watch. Another reason I do this is that in Zwift with ERG mode, the power display is not really what is being output on the bike. If I can see what my bike is actually outputting, it's more accurate reading. I can't attach photo since I am new.