Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Gaining 4mph Without Fitness

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Gaining 4mph Without Fitness

Old 07-30-19, 07:20 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I bet it’s good for 0.5 MPH.
Actually, probably not, because I only spent like $20 instead of $250.
Old 07-30-19, 07:32 PM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
1) Put one of those electric motors in your seat tube.

2) Draft a UPS truck.

Gee, that should get you way more than 10 mph faster and it doesn't cost nearly as much!

BTW, it's "crabon" in case you want to know.
Old 07-30-19, 07:40 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
I have small issues with the OP

We all know you can’t buy speed to the extent of 4mph. $12k won’t buy 4mph faster average speed but I’m sure Trek, Specialized, and other big brands want you to think this. So it’s possible the OP is tooting his own horn a bit like most people here do.

On the internet most of you live in fantasy hiding behind your anonymous names, fake strava data and what not. I still don’t believe the 70 year old here that said he did 20mph average solo for 100 miles at age 66. There was actually a doctor that was a senior in the news that would cheat in marathons. So I think many people here lie about average speed and what not because the internet is a fantasy world apparently.

Lets be honest unless you are fully sponsored racer you really have no business buying a 13-16lb bike for $2k to $8k usd. But we all do it because it’s more about being an enthusiast about the sport than being able to utilize the bike to its full capability and average 40mph like some of these tour riders in a stage.

So money well spent by the OP if it makes him more
motivated...but be honest the upgrade didn’t get you 4mph speed average unless the bike it replaced had some kind of major mechanical issue or if the bike really put him in a upright position...say a flat bar hybrid.
Old 07-30-19, 07:54 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
I have small issues with the OP
Many suspect you are the OP.

I'm not one of those people though. The OP is a better writer.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-30-19, 08:01 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Tour riders are not averaging 40mph on a stage.
Old 07-30-19, 08:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22570 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Many suspect you are the OP
Worlds are colliding!
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-30-19, 08:20 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I had to sell the madone. It did not fit and the bike shop wouldn't take it back the liars. They said I got a good deal and could sell it for twice what I bought it for. Ironically they were right, I sold it for almost twice what I paid for it(not including tax). Made a little profit and I am going to buy a Lynskey 6-4 ti frame and will probably just build it up myself. I'm thinking Ultegra disc groupset.
Old 07-30-19, 08:23 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Hah, that was a classic. The sound of sanity going on holiday...
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-30-19, 08:29 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
I had to sell the madone. It did not fit and the bike shop wouldn't take it back the liars. They said I got a good deal and could sell it for twice what I bought it for. Ironically they were right, I sold it for almost twice what I paid for it(not including tax). Made a little profit and I am going to buy a Lynskey 6-4 ti frame and will probably just build it up myself. I'm thinking Ultegra disc groupset.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I wouldn't say "most." Some for sure, and they are generally exposed. Now about those Madone pics....
Originally Posted by Kimmo
/chortle
Let's keep that thread out of this thread, please.
Old 07-30-19, 08:29 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Every part of this makes sense and I love it.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 07-30-19, 08:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
We all know you can’t buy speed to the extent of 4mph. $12k won’t buy 4mph faster average speed but I’m sure Trek, Specialized, and other big brands want you to think this. So it’s possible the OP is tooting his own horn a bit like most people here do.

On the internet most of you live in fantasy hiding behind your anonymous names, fake strava data and what not. I still don’t believe the 70 year old here that said he did 20mph average solo for 100 miles at age 66. There was actually a doctor that was a senior in the news that would cheat in marathons. So I think many people here lie about average speed and what not because the internet is a fantasy world apparently.

Lets be honest unless you are fully sponsored racer you really have no business buying a 13-16lb bike for $2k to $8k usd. But we all do it because it’s more about being an enthusiast about the sport than being able to utilize the bike to its full capability and average 40mph like some of these tour riders in a stage.

So money well spent by the OP if it makes him more
motivated...but be honest the upgrade didn’t get you 4mph speed average unless the bike it replaced had some kind of major mechanical issue or if the bike really put him in a upright position...say a flat bar hybrid.
Cheating in marathons "is a thing" like doping in professional races.
Old 07-30-19, 09:49 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,924 Times in 1,760 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
But steel IS real.
Yep and somehow my old legs managed a 20.2 mph avg over my 25 mile route today on this steel.

Could have been 30 mph avg had I followed the OP's instructions.
Old 07-31-19, 02:55 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Drag from running your QRs open cost you 0.1mph
Old 07-31-19, 06:17 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
How to Troll in the BF 41:

1) Design a Sock Puppet to be as disagreeable as possible. A Bloated Narcissistic Wind Bag or a Clueless Mean Old Coot are always good choices.
B) Find a topic to post in the 41 that has been endlessly hashed to death and choose the most extreme position possible on it. Steel is Real or CF Ass-plodes are classics.
III) Defend your absurd position with ferocious fervor, made-up "facts", and fanaticism while fostering ill-will, anger and disdain.
4) Disappear from "the conversation" and let the credulous on the 41 implode into a fur-ball-pile-on for your enjoyment before the inevitable "Closed".

Congratulations, you are a BF Troll
Maybe the mods should sticky this?
Old 07-31-19, 08:09 AM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
20mph average solo for 100 miles sounds pretty reasonable for a 66 year old in good shape. The cheating marathon doctor committed suicide - jumped off a bridge while out on a run. It's a real shame as he was very active in the community, coaching and encouraging young runners. Life is hard, and then you die. It's easy and funny to criticize and ridicule each other, but we could all do well by practising a little more kindness and tolerance for our failings and mistakes.
Likes For GailT:
Old 07-31-19, 01:23 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts
His guy bested him in one fell swoop!

5 MPH, no fitness change!
Old 07-31-19, 01:33 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Debo3osu
... My wife won’t even ride with me anymore ...
Um. That's sad...but understandable.
Old 08-01-19, 02:41 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Debo3osu
I see a lot of people asking how to make their bike faster and everyone’s response is always “get more fit” or “be more aero.” That’s great and all, but my fitness hasn’t changed much but I’m 4mph faster on average. How? Hint: It will take $ but can be done.

Background: Got into road cycling 3 years ago for a charity ride, bought a cheap aluminum Motobecane junker with aluminum spd pedals. Felt like it weighed 30 pounds. Averaged 15mph on a good day and 16mph if I really pushed it.

After my wife finished several minutes ahead of me on her ultralight S-Works I decided that would never happen again.

Step 1: Get a carbon bike. Any carbon bike will add 1mph simply because it is lighter and has better power transfer.

So you can gain ~1mph just by getting any carbon bike.

Step 2. Don’t get just any carbon bike. Get a NICE carbon bike. Lightweight. Aero. Great components. Carbon wheels. These will run you $5-10k. I got the Canyon Endurace SLX 9 with SRAM Red eTap. Definitely wasn’t cheap, but added another 1mph because of further weight reduction and better components.

So far I’ve added ~2mph simply by spending money. This is a much better solution than getting fit.

Step 3: Replace anything that isn’t carbon with carbon. This includes seatpost, stem, bar, saddle, cranks and pedals. I only had to change a few things as the Canyon was already set up pretty well. I got the Specialized Power Pro carbon saddle with titanium rails (Canyon setup wouldn’t take larger carbon rails), carbon cages, and Dura Ace pedals. Again, the carbon not only reduces weight but also reduces vibration and increases rider comfort and power transfer.

Step 4: Get lightweight carbon shoes with SPD-SL red clips (0 degrees of motion) that fit correctly and have them set up professionally to ensure maximum power transfer (carbon on carbon) and no knee injuries.

Steps 3 and 4 added about 0.5mph.

Step 5: Get a complete proper fitting. You may want to do this before buying new bars, stem, etc. I had to get a new Canyon aerobar to fit me properly. Also make sure you have the right saddle width. The right setup will increase your power transfer and reduce injury.

Step 6: Improve your technique (independent of fitness). Get a power meter, cadence meter and speed meter and integrate with Garmin Edge. Read articles about technique and use these tools to improve.

Steps 5 and 6 add another 0.5mph. We’re now at a 3mph improvement.

Step 7: Get fast tires. Specifically, focus on rolling resistance but also factor in puncture resistance so that you have confidence at speed. Tubes or tubeless, your choice. I like tubes and run 50g Conti butyl tubes with Conti 5000 tires. Can’t go wrong. The Specialized Cotton Turbo is also a good choice. Go wide (25-28) and keep at the ideal psi (plenty of articles out there based on your tire).

Step 8: Adjust your brake levers. You’ll have a lot more confidence during high-speed descents if the levers are at your fingertips. If you can’t figure it out take it to your LBS.

Step 9: Keep your bike clean, especially the chain and gears. Plenty of good stuff out there, I like Park Tool’s cleaner. Clean chains = fast bike.

Step 10: Get aero. Wind resistance is your biggest enemy at speed. In addition to getting an aero bike, get form-fitting jerseys and shorts (I’m a huge fan of Pearl Pros), a light aero helmet, aero gloves, and socks. Learn to get in an aero position during sprints/descents. If you really want to get crazy and shave your body, go for it. Get rid of that bulky seat post bag and only carry what you need. I use Specialized’s integrated SWAT Road Bandit tube holder. Saves weight and lost energy through things jostling. Get light bottles and only carry them if you need them.

Boom, there you have it. Those last items add 1mph for a total gain of 4mph. I was averaging 19mph easy and 20mph when I really got after it. And that is solo. Plus, it made me love riding so much that I’ve also improved fitness and have added an extra 1-2mph. Now I blow by the clowns in the peloton with their dumb time trial bikes and helmets and matching jerseys. Yeah, my endurance bike just spit gravel in your face. My wife won’t even ride with me anymore because I’m miles ahead in a matter of minutes.

So there you have it. 3 years ago I’m a 40 year old golfer that thought biking was for losers, now I’m at the front of grand fondos.

Can’t afford all this stuff? Not my problem. Stop wasting time doing nonsense and do something with yourself so that you can buy nice things on a whim. Or just work on your fitness I guess.
Had you gotten the RED bike, you could have added another ~1 MPH at least.
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 08-01-19, 03:25 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Had you gotten the RED bike, you could have added another ~1 MPH at least.
Come on! Everyone knows black bikes are fastest.
Old 08-01-19, 04:20 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Pirkaus
Yeah, it's because they don't bounce as many photons off them.
Old 08-01-19, 04:31 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
No. You want the bike to be black on forward-facing surfaces and white on rearward-facing surfaces. Photon reflection transfers more momentum than photon absorbtion.

It's unclear whether the benefits of optimizing for radiation pressure are more significant than the intrinsic speed benefit of red, however.
Old 08-01-19, 09:36 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Black bikes heat the air, lowering the atmospheric pressure making you go faster.
Old 08-01-19, 10:23 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
[Quote:] The "carbon bikes are lighter" idea needs to be more nuanced, I think. The latest 2020 Trek Domane models (specifically the mid-range SL5 and SL6) both weigh more than 20 lbs, thanks I suspect to their disc brakes. So... *some* carbon bikes are lighter but if low weight is what you want, don't assume carbon is the answer.

Huh, my 2017 Domane SL6 came in at 19.35lbs before the pedals went on...it did have carbon wheels...I guess the improvements for 2020 have added some heft. That said, my speeds are still well below the OP and the best way I'm going to get a lighter bike is to lose 10-20lbs of this excess donut, ice cream and cookie weight
The Bontrager aluminum TLR wheels weigh a lot. I traded
them out for Aeolus 3 wheels and my Domane felt a lot lighter.
Old 08-01-19, 11:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
No. You want the bike to be black on forward-facing surfaces and white on rearward-facing surfaces. Photon reflection transfers more momentum than photon absorbtion.

It's unclear whether the benefits of optimizing for radiation pressure are more significant than the intrinsic speed benefit of red, however.
Solar-sailing satellite proves it can use light to propel through space
Old 08-02-19, 03:09 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev

Likes For znomit:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.