Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike shoe - life expectancy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike shoe - life expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 04:36 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,371 Times in 720 Posts
After replacing the Boa fasteners on his SWorks shoes every year for 3 years, my son finally asked me what shoe to get. Of course I recommended Sidi. I told him I had a pair of SWorks with the Boa that has the same problem, but worse. Only wear them in cold weather below 40 and every year the fasteners must be replaced. I stopped wearing them several years ago because of it. The Sidi shoes never have a problem with the ratchet and velcro. 16 years and going. Talk about a really strong value!
Old 08-01-19, 05:46 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
I have a pair of Sidi's, bought in about '89, when Look pedals came out. Besides replacing cleats, I recently had the Velcro replaced. KB.
That's the nice thing about Sidi shoes - you can replace most of the parts and soldier on. The replaceable heel pad is particularly nice, although the screw receiver on one pair of shoes spins now, so it's tricky to remove.
Old 08-02-19, 10:08 AM
daudino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are trying to justify a new pair, I think its time for a new pair For me, I get a new one every 2 years or so. There is definitely more life in them, but something about new shoes just feel good!
Old 08-02-19, 11:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
OP: If your shoes are worn out, you'll know it. If you have to ask about it, then I'm guessing yours are not worn out; you just want a new pair.

The only time I've replaced cycling shoes was when I decided that the first pair I had bought (road shoes) were cheap, heavy, and had flexy soles -- so I bought a new pair that were appropriate for my increasing fitness and interest in cycling; after about 13 years, I still have that pair and wear them occasionally, even though they have been ridden 50k+ miles and have lost one of the heel plates and have been re-stitched once by the local cobbler -- they still feel good, the soles are still stiff, and the closure system (velcro) still works.
Old 08-02-19, 06:18 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I have Lake MTBs from some time in the 90s. I wore them with straps for a couple of decades dirt and road, then finally went clipless and put the cleats onto them. Around 2013 the neoprene ankle cuff started getting pretty ratty and decided to get a nicer pair for walking around in during commutes/errands. Just got another bike with straps for the moment. Pulled the Lakes out of retirement and removed the cleats. I think the soles and uppers could possibly last the rest of my life.

Just recalled seeing a guy on the MUP one day. Looked about 90, I think he was still using shoes from his youth.
Old 08-04-19, 07:02 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I used these Rivat shoes for about 30 years until one of the thread inserts holding the cleat failed. They're the most comfortable shoes I've used and I'd still be using them if not for that component failure. I may yet take them to the cobbler to see if they can be fixed.

Old 08-04-19, 09:15 AM
FLYBYU

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a pair of Diadora Jalapeno MTB shoes that I bought in 2001. They have thousands of miles of riding on them. Road riding, 24 hour MTB races, provincial MTB races, messing around with the kids. They still look like new, other than the laces broke a couple of times, but that is a $3 fix. I have size 14 feet, so dreading the day I have to retire them.