Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Victoria Rubino Pro III Tire

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-19, 08:49 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts

Anyone using Victoria Rubino Pro III 700x25c tires looking for feedback on mileage you been getting and handling characteristics.
What air pressure have you been using ?

Thanks
Old 08-07-19, 12:50 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I have used dozens of Pro III slicks over the years. 25 mm is my preferred size. They are discontinued and can be found dirt cheap, replaced by the Rubino G+ graphene and now the newer Rubino G+ 2.0 products.

The Pro III slick are supple and forgiving, never nervous or twitchy. They roll better than most but not as good as higher end cotton racing tires like Corsa or Specialized Turbo Cotton. They don't roll as well as the newer Rubino G+ either but that isn't saying much. You can buy much slower tires for the money.

They wear faster than most tires, but again, not as fast as a cotton racing tire. I can't remember exact mileage numbers. Take them off as soon as little fuzzy fibers start showing through the rubber - at this point they are worn and about to start getting lots of flats.

Mine were typically run at 90 PSI or higher. I was between 180 and 200 lb when I ran them.

They are a great training tire and all around sporty riding tire for group rides on nice roads. I loved these tires and commuted on them for years, still have four in my closet.

-Tim-
Old 08-07-19, 02:26 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have used dozens of Pro III slicks over the years. 25 mm is my preferred size. They are discontinued and can be found dirt cheap, replaced by the Rubino G+ graphene and now the newer Rubino G+ 2.0 products.

The Pro III slick are supple and forgiving, never nervous or twitchy. They roll better than most but not as good as higher end cotton racing tires like Corsa or Specialized Turbo Cotton. They don't roll as well as the newer Rubino G+ either but that isn't saying much. You can buy much slower tires for the money.

They wear faster than most tires, but again, not as fast as a cotton racing tire. I can't remember exact mileage numbers. Take them off as soon as little fuzzy fibers start showing through the rubber - at this point they are worn and about to start getting lots of flats.

Mine were typically run at 90 PSI or higher. I was between 180 and 200 lb when I ran them.

They are a great training tire and all around sporty riding tire for group rides on nice roads. I loved these tires and commuted on them for years, still have four in my closet.

-Tim-
I agree with Tim on the Rubino tires. They are hard to beat at the price you can get them for. I actually prefer Rubino's that have tread. I like the slicks also, but when it is wet I believe the tread give you more traction. I tried the first graphene Rubino's and they were hell to get mounted the first time. I also run the tires at 90 psi minimum and 115 maximum. I am not sure, but my memory for the milage is 2500 to 3000. I am about 165 fully outfitted for riding. I also carry more on my bike than most road riders do. I recently purchased a pair for mid $20, don't remember exactly.That gives me 4 on hand. I also use the 25 mm.
Old 08-07-19, 02:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I agree with Tim on the Rubino tires. They are hard to beat at the price you can get them for. I actually prefer Rubino's that have tread. I like the slicks also, but when it is wet I believe the tread give you more traction. I tried the first graphene Rubino's and they were hell to get mounted the first time. I also run the tires at 90 psi minimum and 115 maximum. I am not sure, but my memory for the milage is 2500 to 3000. I am about 165 fully outfitted for riding. I also carry more on my bike than most road riders do. I recently purchased a pair for mid $20, don't remember exactly.That gives me 4 on hand. I also use the 25 mm.
That mileage sounds about right. Maybe a bit less for the rear and more for the front, give or take, but about right.

I did not find any difference between the version with tread and slicks, although tread vs slick can easily become a religious argument. To each his own.

At one point they were less than $15 each after the G+ came out.

I now run the Rubino G+ Speed. 200 grams for the 25 mm version. 1500 miles for the rear tire max but they grip like a Corsa yet are more forgiving and roll like a billiard ball.
Old 08-07-19, 02:55 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by biker222
Anyone using Victoria Rubino Pro III 700x25c tires looking for feedback on mileage you been getting and handling characteristics.
What air pressure have you been using ?

Thanks
Very happy with these tires, I run them 95/105 and I'm a big guy. Still on the original pair, but I have back-ups. Can't give mileage cause I rotate through the bike barn. I think the IIIs were tested as about easy rolling as the G+.
Old 08-08-19, 11:04 AM
biker222

I've been using the G2 tire and was getting about 2k miles. I was not impress with number of nicks/cuts I was seeing on the center and starting to see cords. Maybe I got a bad lot.
I just starting using the III this year so maybe have between 500-1k miles. So far the center is holding up better than the G2's.

Also running rear psi 90-100. Was running it closer to 110 for a while and noticed it to be harsher and bouncy .
Also do not notice any difference in rolling resistance.
Old 08-09-19, 02:24 AM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I hope these are decent tires. I recently bought a handful from the Wiggles for $10 each using a new customer code. I have a set of wheels coming in the middle of next week so I'll mount them and give them a spin then.
Old 08-09-19, 01:20 PM
biker222

Originally Posted by biker222
I've been using the G+ tire and was getting about 2k miles. I was not impress with number of nicks/cuts I was seeing on the center and starting to see cords. Maybe I got a bad lot.
I just starting using the III this year so maybe have between 500-1k miles.

Also running rear psi 90-100. Was running it closer to 110 for a while and noticed it to be harsher and bouncy .
Also do not notice any difference in rolling resistance.
So far the center is holding up better than the G+.