Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Old 11-01-18, 12:37 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I put my "with power meter" bike on my kickr to compare output and ... it's not pretty. My kickr hates me.

I have yet to try NYC or Innsbruck but today is NYC day so I guess I will get my maiden voyage in.
Old 12-07-18, 02:29 PM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
I decided I had to improve my w/kg, and obviously the easiest way to do that was not to work harder but get lighter. 20 pounds lighter in 2 months, the last time I was this light (ha!) was 2015, at the end of cycling season. It's not even 2019 yet, I have a feeling the 2019 season is going to be awesome (since I already know what my training is going to look like). I rode 4 centuries and a 200K in 2015, what kind of trouble can I get into in 2019?
Old 12-25-18, 07:25 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I'd love to jump in on this but I spend most of my time trying to keep everything connected and working. To date I'll fight and fight and fight then just quit and do a session on my own. I'm going to give it one more try and then I'll just take it all off the bike and throw it in the trash. I bought this a few years ago and had the same problem. Put it back on my bike making sure to watch videos and read and the same issue.
Old 12-27-18, 11:52 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
I'd love to jump in on this but I spend most of my time trying to keep everything connected and working. To date I'll fight and fight and fight then just quit and do a session on my own. I'm going to give it one more try and then I'll just take it all off the bike and throw it in the trash. I bought this a few years ago and had the same problem. Put it back on my bike making sure to watch videos and read and the same issue.
What specific issue are you having? ANT sensors?
Old 12-27-18, 11:58 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by ericy
What specific issue are you having? ANT sensors?
Getting the sensor on the bike to recognize the magnet on the spokes. I get it to work after fiddling around with it and making sure I've got it setup right (videos, etc) and then when I go to ride it won't work. Then I hop off and it's not working and I go through it again, and again, and again. I've changed the battery, taken it off the bike, put it back on, and on and on.

Having it would make the rides more interesting, but I can't get it to work.
Old 12-27-18, 12:11 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Getting the sensor on the bike to recognize the magnet on the spokes. I get it to work after fiddling around with it and making sure I've got it setup right (videos, etc) and then when I go to ride it won't work. Then I hop off and it's not working and I go through it again, and again, and again. I've changed the battery, taken it off the bike, put it back on, and on and on.

Having it would make the rides more interesting, but I can't get it to work.
I have given up on the magnet-based sensors for this reason. I spent too much time fiddling with the things to get them to line up properly, and that was for my outdoor riding. I went with the Wahoo magnetless sensors - there is something in there that recognizes when you turn the thing upside down, and other than having to change the battery once in a while, they are pretty foolproof.
Old 12-30-18, 08:57 PM
WonderMonkey

I have given up on the magnet-based sensors for this reason. I spent too much time fiddling with the things to get them to line up properly, and that was for my outdoor riding. I went with the Wahoo magnetless sensors - there is something in there that recognizes when you turn the thing upside down, and other than having to change the battery once in a while, they are pretty foolproof.
I've looked at that and it looks interesting. Do you track cadence, which would have to come off the pedal?
Old 12-30-18, 09:24 PM
ericy
Señor Member

I've looked at that and it looks interesting. Do you track cadence, which would have to come off the pedal?
There are two separate sensors. One is the speed sensor which is fastened to one of the wheel hubs, and the second is a cadence sensor which is zip-tied to one of the crank arms.

For use with my wheel-off trainer, I only need the cadence sensor.
Old 02-02-19, 05:46 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
It is wet and windy in So. Cal. So one hour of Zwifting for me.

Before Zwift the most that I could manage on the trainer was 30 minutes.

Now Zwift has changed all of that.

I still hate the trainer, but now it is a bit more bearable.

Old 02-02-19, 09:06 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
It is wet and windy in So. Cal. So one hour of Zwifting for me.

Before Zwift the most that I could manage on the trainer was 30 minutes.

Now Zwift has changed all of that.

I still hate the trainer, but now it is a bit more bearable.

yep. Makes it very bearable. I jave a few winters under my belt on zwift now and i am up to level 20 yesterday and just over half way to tron. Zwift has been great gor the 5 months a year i do use it. Worth the 15$ easy
Old 02-02-19, 09:18 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by sdmc530

yep. Makes it very bearable. I jave a few winters under my belt on zwift now and i am up to level 20 yesterday and just over half way to tron. Zwift has been great gor the 5 months a year i do use it. Worth the 15$ easy
Tron? That’s pretty good. I keep getting passed by the riders with the glowing bikes.
Old 02-03-19, 08:00 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Tron? That’s pretty good. I keep getting passed by the riders with the glowing bikes.
the "tron" bike is awarded if you are on that challenge and climb a total of 160,000 or something super high like that. Been working on it since day one of Zwift.

You know what is really funny, I get passed on everybody on every bike on Zwift
Old 02-03-19, 09:12 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by sdmc530
the "tron" bike is awarded if you are on that challenge and climb a total of 160,000 or something super high like that. Been working on it since day one of Zwift.

You know what is really funny, I get passed on everybody on every bike on Zwift
I don’t think that I will ever get a Tron bike.

Zwift is like real life for me...everyone passes me on the way to the finish line.
Old 02-04-19, 12:19 PM
Genaro

Bikes: Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
NY is really growing on me - Knickerbocker route is becoming my go to when I'm crunched for time -
Old 08-08-19, 10:57 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I haven’t used Zwift in well over a year. Bianchi was purchased with Zwift in mind as well as for commute. So I haven’t tried any of new routes yet (Innsbruck, New York and two new Watopia areas). I signed up for Zwift Academy and put Bianchi on Kickr on Sunday.

Ive done 2 of ZA workouts now. I hadn’t tried workouts before. I was not using Zwift in a constructive way before. That’s changing!

My FTP is estimated at moment based off Strava (use power meter). Need to do FTP test on Zwift.

For workout #1 I put FTP at 20 watts below Strava estimate. For workout 2 I put it at 10 watts below. I struggled in the last 10 min section at 95% of FTP with keeping cadence high. So maybe that FTP is close to my actual?

Old 08-08-19, 11:08 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I haven’t used Zwift in well over a year. Bianchi was purchased with Zwift in mind as well as for commute. So I haven’t tried any of new routes yet (Innsbruck, New York and two new Watopia areas). I signed up for Zwift Academy and put Bianchi on Kickr on Sunday.

Ive done 2 of ZA workouts now. I hadn’t tried workouts before. I was not using Zwift in a constructive way before. That’s changing!

My FTP is estimated at moment based off Strava (use power meter). Need to do FTP test on Zwift.

For workout #1 I put FTP at 20 watts below Strava estimate. For workout 2 I put it at 10 watts below. I struggled in the last 10 min section at 95% of FTP with keeping cadence high. So maybe that FTP is close to my actual?

Why don't you just take the Ramp Test on Zwift?
Old 08-08-19, 11:13 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Originally Posted by jadocs
Why don't you just take the Ramp Test on Zwift?
I plan on it but just hadn't had time before the first two workouts that fit my schedule. ZA started on Monday. I have an issue with the Bianchi tho. It has twice stopped shifting chain onto big ring since I got it. And it decided now is a good time to do that again. For the next workout I will need to be able to shift into hard gears for 20 second power to achieve my best in that. Taking off trainer tomorrow to take in to see what the heck is going on.
Likes For Beachgrad05:
Old 09-10-19, 11:17 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
What is one to do when Zwift drops a new course the day after you've ridden a century? Yep, jump on the bike and check it out. The legs said it was total BS, but the eyes said it was worth it. I remember starting Zwift in 2017 and thinking it would be easy to get bored with the number of routes available, but they are doing a good job of updating and releasing new tarmac.
Old 09-10-19, 03:02 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I did ramp test and FTP was set at 165. Yesterday I did Zwift Academy WO #4 and I could not hold 205 watts for 3 minutes I had to use companion app to reduce bias on the to reduce the power I needed to maintain. Maybe I was tired from doing WO #3 on Sunday? Tonight I am doing "group ride" with ZA but will get dropped as my FTP and weight put me at too low to keep up. That's OK. I can ride alone at the back. I have 4 workouts to complete and 3 group rides to finish ZA. I am determined to do it.

I finished CA challenge finally last week and earned the Tarmac. Tho I had used drops to buy Tarmac Pro so kind of anti-climactic to finally earn the Tarmac. Saving my drops now for the Canyon Ultimate bike.

Started the Everest challenge and am at 6% completion after two rides.

My pain cave just got more pleasant as posted in the Carb loading thread with an added smart TV so I can watch football, Hulu, Netflix and Directv. Sunday I watched 2nd half of Cowboys/Giants game and last night watched 2nd half of Raiders/Bronco's while I did my workout.
Old 09-12-19, 11:00 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I tried the FTP ramp test, I guess I should do this after a proper warm up and not first thing in the morning. I sandbagged it according to my HR, max is 186 and only hit 163 in the ramp test.

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-12-19, 02:08 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by jsigone
I tried the FTP ramp test, I guess I should do this after a proper warm up and not first thing in the morning. I sandbagged it according to my HR, max is 186 and only hit 163 in the ramp test.

My legs quit before my heart on mine.
Old 09-13-19, 11:03 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
@Beachgrad05 yah I was trying not to stand up during the ramp test which I don't really see why it would matter if ERG mode is on, you're not spiking power into the equation....or are you?
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 09-13-19, 11:27 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

@jsigone - no idea..I can't really stand much on trainer. Too awkward.

I'm guessing the FTP I got which is not that great is rather accurate I guess. My Zwift Academy workouts are difficult in the sections that are suppose to be difficult. I was doing one last night while watching 2nd half of football game and I did route that ended up with me on Alpe du Zwift (working on Everest challenge now). When workout ended I was trying to U turn to head back down as the grade was killing me but it wouldn't U turn. So ended workout. Doing workout #6 of the 8 ZA workouts tonight.

A cool place to check out the various workouts and how they will go based on your FTP is https://whatsonzwift.com/

You can explore the pre-done workouts and see how your FTP affects each section.
Old 09-13-19, 05:15 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
When workout ended I was trying to U turn to head back down as the grade was killing me but it wouldn't U turn. So ended workout. .
There is a minimum speed for a U-turn to work - I don't remember what it is (maybe 3mph/5kph?), but if you are on a steep climb and your legs are tired it can be difficult to attain. In some cases I wait for a flatter spot in the road to do the U-turn (like on a hairpin).
Old 09-13-19, 05:42 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

There is a minimum speed for a U-turn to work - I don't remember what it is (maybe 3mph/5kph?), but if you are on a steep climb and your legs are tired it can be difficult to attain. In some cases I wait for a flatter spot in the road to do the U-turn (like on a hairpin).
Yeah, I know about the min but I was not able to get fast enough on the steep grade on the Alpe. I tried to get speed up but my legs were just not able. I have to do next workout tonight, so didn't need to fry my legs last night.

Will watch the WSU Cougar game on my new extra TV.

I have 3 workouts and 2 group rides to do to complete the Academy. I hope to be finished this weekend and maybe on to the extra credit group rides (4) to get the paint job for the Canyon Ultimate

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.