Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Having a water bottle dilemma

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Having a water bottle dilemma

Old 08-18-19, 09:50 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I tend to start out hydrated, Good for you!
Tim
Good for you!

Be like a camel and grow a couple of humps and you won't need ANY water bottles!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 08-19-19, 02:37 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 258 Posts
How much is a side-loader cage? 60-freaking-dollars.
How much is a smaller water bottle, that you can refill? A couple bucks?

Yeah, take a little less water, and refill when necessary. Unless you're going on crazy wilderness adventure rides in the backcountry, in which case you should be using a CamelBak or panniers anyway.
Old 08-19-19, 05:55 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I mean he's got like 5hrs worth of water there, at full chat, where does he live, Arizona..?!

You shouldn't drink too much, people have literally died drinking too much water. Salts, and all that.

Have one 750 and one 500, plenty.
Old 08-19-19, 06:09 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
bigger bike
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-19-19, 06:10 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I mean he's got like 5hrs worth of water there, at full chat, where does he live, Arizona..?!

You shouldn't drink too much, people have literally died drinking too much water. Salts, and all that.

Have one 750 and one 500, plenty.
Just a guess, but I think more folks have died from drinking too little... literally.

This is not specifically directed at you:
OP did not ask how much liquid he should carry... why try to decide that for him how much he should carry, maybe he's planning for a dog in a seat on the back, hmm? or wants to use it to spray on his face...
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 08-19-19, 06:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
How much is a side-loader cage? 60-freaking-dollars.
How much is a smaller water bottle, that you can refill? A couple bucks?
The one I recommended has an MSRP of $24.95, and there are probably a dozen other options under $15. The Lezyne Flow SL is under $10.

A Camelbak Podium Chill bottle (newest version) is $14.
Old 08-19-19, 07:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,298 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Good for you.

Others desire more water and rather have the capacity without having to stop, IN CASE there is no where to refill. Common sense.
+1. As someone who does loaded tours, I have encountered LONG stretches with no where to refill from clean sources. Just had a couple back in June. Both were about 50 miles with 4,000'+ of climbing with passes close to 6,000' in altitude. One climb was all dirt/gravel, and it was quite warm. Two 25 oz. bottles and a 40 oz. CamelBak. For the second one I took an additional 1L soda bottle as an emergency backup. I did that same route 2 years ago in high heat and humidity and went through nearly all my water.

The "I only need this so you shouldn't need more" mentality is myopic and suggests a lack of varied experience.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-19-19, 07:12 AM
indyfabz

Maybe he does. Arizona is home to the 6th most populous city in the U.S. That aside, tell us the last time you rode in super high humidity (the dew point where I am was already 74 at 6:30 a.m.) and temps in the mid-90s F. That's today's forecast for a lot of the mid-Atlantic. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse. And let's not forget all the other places in the U.S. where is gets super hot and humid. Hit 107 F in Indiana when I was riding across the country, and corn provides 0 shade.

At any effort, two bottles is not going to last 5 hrs.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-19-19 at 07:16 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-19-19, 03:35 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I too was thinking 500ml bottles instead of 750ml bottles - wouldn't that fix the problem?
That would require stopping 50% more often on long rides, and be an issue when leaving civilization behind at "no services next 50 miles" signs.
Old 08-19-19, 04:03 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
@morgothaod

Topeak makes the Alt-Position Cage Mount while Problem Solvers makes the Bottle Cage Height Adapter.

Both allow the cages to be mounted higher in the triangle.

-Tim-
Old 08-19-19, 06:02 PM
sw20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I had same issue, but found the elite bottle cages worked with my camel baks
Old 08-19-19, 07:24 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Just a guess, but I think more folks have died from drinking too little... literally.

This is not specifically directed at you:
OP did not ask how much liquid he should carry... why try to decide that for him how much he should carry, maybe he's planning for a dog in a seat on the back, hmm? or wants to use it to spray on his face...
Well nobody else is qualified to tell him then, rendering the whole topic pointless. He already answered his own question with side-entry.
Old 08-20-19, 02:23 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
That would require stopping 50% more often on long rides, and be an issue when leaving civilization behind at "no services next 50 miles" signs.
Yeah, it's a constant problem for cyclists in the apocalyptic no-go regions of the wasteland that is the western world - I mean, without that extra 500ml of water, who knows how many would be laying dead at the side of the trail?

Or are we more worried how this is going to affect our precious STRAVA numbers, all this extra stopping every few blocks? Sorry, I meant, "every other remote wasteland resources cache/depot".

Puhleese. This ain't the Iditarod Impossible.

So you can go the route of fancy, sometimes expensive, and often don't work (I see lots of reviews of water bottles getting dropped by these "side-loader" things)...

OR

get a shorter (smaller) bottle. It's not complicated. Make your choices, be happy.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 08-20-19, 03:51 AM
indyfabz

Yeah, it's a constant problem for cyclists in the apocalyptic no-go regions of the wasteland that is the western world - I mean, without that extra 500ml of water, who knows how many would be laying dead at the side of the trail?
Why should anyone take hydration advice from someone whose country is about the size of my home state and not particularly subject to extreme temperatures?

Myopic and uninformed.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-20-19, 04:49 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Knock off with the Irish bashing
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-20-19, 05:19 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Why should anyone take hydration advice from someone whose country is about the size of my home state and not particularly subject to extreme temperatures?

Myopic and uninformed.
Normally around Dublin we just leave the tops off our water bottles at all times, they automatically refill as you go along
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 08-20-19, 06:14 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It's interesting how those from northern climates like England, Canada and Wisconsin say to bring less water or smaller/fewer bottles. Those from desert Southwest and the deep South USA balk at the same idea.

I think the OP can figure out how much water he/she needs on his/her own.

Again, to move the bottles up, Topeak makes the Alt-Position Cage Mount while Problem Solvers makes the Bottle Cage Height Adapter. I'm sure there are other similar products.

-Tim-
Old 08-20-19, 07:19 AM
Witterings

Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH

Again, to move the bottles up, Topeak makes the Alt-Position Cage Mount while Problem Solvers makes the Bottle Cage Height Adapter. I'm sure there are other similar products.
Cheers for those links ... I've been having the same problem as bought one of the podium chill ice bottles which are that much taller then the normal chill bottles but they don't half make a difference in keeping your water cooler for much longer periods of time so worth having onboard!!
Old 08-20-19, 08:09 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I have some experience with the Lezyne Flow and Blackburn Wayside side-loaders. The flow is a little easier to get the bottle in and out but a little less secure. They both work and are under $10 apiece. I've never used insulated bottles, since I'd rather have more water than cold water.
Old 08-20-19, 08:38 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
Ok. Several posts got deleted cleaning up this thread. How about keeping replies to helpful advice without insults and trolling?
Old 08-20-19, 09:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I just fill my bottles with heavy water. It's about $1000 a liter, so I figure it's just got to be better.

Seriously, the amount of water I carry on the same route will be different from day to day because of the weather. Running out of water at 95 degrees and no place to fill a bottle for 20 miles is a mistake you really don't want to repeat. I sure as heck am not going to tell someone else how much water they need to carry.
Old 08-20-19, 10:14 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
I tend to start out hydrated, Good for you!
Tim
I honestly do not see how you starting out hydrated could be good for me.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 08-20-19, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I honestly do not see how you starting out hydrated could be good for me.

dave
A rising tide lifts all boats.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-20-19, 10:33 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Well nobody else is qualified to tell him then, rendering the whole topic pointless. He already answered his own question with side-entry.

Read the third sentence. Again(?)...

OP:
I moved my accessories from my old bike to my new bike and now I'm unable to get the water bottle out of the holder on the seat tube (To insert the water bottle in that holder I have to take off the top of the bottle also). Would side loading water bottle cages solve my problem? Any recommendation for one that'll hold a CamelBak Podium Big Chill 25oz Insulated Water Bottle? Also, would I be able to keep my pump on my bike? Thanks!
Old 08-20-19, 10:38 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
To be helpful. Side load cages would work well.

On other side topics. On hot days, I drink a lot of water prior to riding.
There are the 2 extremes with heat. High humidity and low humidity. When it is high, you sweat but it doesn't evaporate all that well so you stay hot. When it is very dry, the sweat evaporates real quick and you feel cooler so you don't tend to drink as much water as you should. I found this out hiking in the mountains of New Mexico. 100 degrees but it felt like 70.

Last year on the 3rd day (78 miles and 2 passes) of an 8 day venture on dusty mountains roads, we went through water very quickly. We were fortunate enough to have found snow melt streams to run through our Sawyer filters to get water topped off. Once water gets to 90 degrees, it isn't all that great to drink. It is wet, but that's about it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.