Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fewer Riders Announce?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fewer Riders Announce?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 02:31 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by starchase
I used to let a cheap Walmart bell announce for me until it broke, and I can't find the single note item to replace it and don't want to do experimental purchasing to find one (already wasted money doing that). Now I just give people on the sidewalk--no multi-use paths around my area--a wide berth especially since list year when I gave a jogger running past me wide berth on the sidewalk and inadvertently allowed my front tire to drop off the walkway causing a spill resulting in a cracked collarbone and a couple ribs, though I didn't realize it at the time and completed my 15 mile route; my first person-related crash in 4700 miles! But it did teach me to keep everyone wide berth!
The safety of sidewalks for biking is a really bad illusion. You're actually very likely to get hit by a car pulling out of a driveway or crossing at the corner.

Have you biked any of these places?

https://hamaxusa.com/blog/5-best-bik...s-in-savannah/

Stay healthy, friend!
The 4 Most Serene Places For a Bike Ride Around Savannah
Old 06-11-19, 07:01 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
New one, watched a couple of little kids roll their little bikes ten feet or so up a tiny T intersection off the MUP to a power transformer or something, so they could zoom back down it. Fortunately I'd seen them turn up it, as they were then entirely invisible behind vegetation until they careened back down onto the path. Was expecting them and was able to get by safely, but the lead one was a bit surprised to see oncoming traffic at the bottom of his zoom. Someone riding at a more typical road cycling speed might not have been in range to see the start of their escapade and so would have been more surprised by their sudden appearance.
Old 06-11-19, 07:11 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The safety of sidewalks for biking is a really bad illusion. You're actually very likely to get hit by a car pulling out of a driveway or crossing at the corner.
Yes...sidewalks OK at very low speeds but otherwise not great. There was a true-crime TV show: murder perp is driving along (in California IIRC) & a bicyclist zooms off the sidewalk & into the intersection, colliding with the perp's car. Rider was not critically injured but it was serious enough that cops were called...bad luck for the perp.

Worst area I've seen for sidewalk riding was Miami area...many drivers pull out of parking lots etc w/o looking. If one's riding on the street one has a bit extra time to slow down if necessary. In Boca Raton I got a warning ticket for riding on the sidewalk.
Old 06-12-19, 05:25 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by DropBarFan
Yes...sidewalks OK at very low speeds but otherwise not great. There was a true-crime TV show: murder perp is driving along (in California IIRC) & a bicyclist zooms off the sidewalk & into the intersection, colliding with the perp's car. Rider was not critically injured but it was serious enough that cops were called...bad luck for the perp.

Worst area I've seen for sidewalk riding was Miami area...many drivers pull out of parking lots etc w/o looking. If one's riding on the street one has a bit extra time to slow down if necessary. In Boca Raton I got a warning ticket for riding on the sidewalk.
Riding on sidewalks is also a good way to hit a pedestrian. There's a lot of blind entrances to a sidewalk --doors that open directly onto the sidewalk, shrubs hiding the front of the yard, people coming from around the other side of a car parked in the driveway, etc. I wouldn't go above 5 mph for fear of hitting a stroller emerging from one of those while I was riding. I have no desire to give up 15 mph or so on my cruising speed, so I stick to the street 99% of the time.
Old 06-19-19, 06:51 AM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Well... they are called side walks for a reason.

Fortunately, my route to work is about 1/2 quiet neighbourhood streets, 1/2 MUP (not attached to the road). There is a short 1/4 mile section where I ride on the sidewalk. I only rarely encounter anyone on this stretch. The option to the sidewalk is a curving overpass with a 45 mph speed limit and 55 mph traffic - at 06:00 a.m. - no thanks.

I have found that the local MUP is mostly MUP-ish in certain areas. Outside of the metro-zone it is a bike-road.

I do encounter people who do not hear my bell due to ear-buds. The LBS guy recommended ditching the bell in favor of a police whistle. Still not sure if that is the right way to go. There are moments when I ponder the air-horn though.

[
]
Old 08-12-19, 08:16 PM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Riding on sidewalks is also a good way to hit a pedestrian. There's a lot of blind entrances to a sidewalk --doors that open directly onto the sidewalk, shrubs hiding the front of the yard, people coming from around the other side of a car parked in the driveway, etc. I wouldn't go above 5 mph for fear of hitting a stroller emerging from one of those while I was riding. I have no desire to give up 15 mph or so on my cruising speed, so I stick to the street 99% of the time.
Just saw these comments concerning my remark about my spill incident on a sidewalk. I should clarify that I do bike mostly on residential streets on Wilmington Island that is a barrier island east of Savannah. The few times I do use a sidewalk is on 2 of the more busy streets. I accept the comments that sidewalks are not the preferred surface to bike. I don't often encounter others so I've made an evaluation concerning using a busy road or a little used sidewalk, and with the accident in mind avoid others as much as possible. Thanks for all replies.
Old 08-12-19, 08:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ironnerd
Well... they are called side walks for a reason.

Fortunately, my route to work is about 1/2 quiet neighbourhood streets, 1/2 MUP (not attached to the road). There is a short 1/4 mile section where I ride on the sidewalk. I only rarely encounter anyone on this stretch. The option to the sidewalk is a curving overpass with a 45 mph speed limit and 55 mph traffic - at 06:00 a.m. - no thanks.

I have found that the local MUP is mostly MUP-ish in certain areas. Outside of the metro-zone it is a bike-road.

I do encounter people who do not hear my bell due to ear-buds. The LBS guy recommended ditching the bell in favor of a police whistle. Still not sure if that is the right way to go. There are moments when I ponder the air-horn though.

[[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jrLa8rAmLw]link]
Just fyi, Atlanta ordinance makes it illegal for anyone 13 or over to ride on any sidewalk.
Old 08-13-19, 07:29 PM
DropBarFan

I actually have the opposite opinion, and obviously we won't be able to "prove" which is correct: I find the impersonal, inarticulate bell sound obnoxious, and respond to it instinctively like I'm being honked at-i.e, with annoyance. I think I am able to convey more information and do so politely with my voice, plus I can add polite terms such as please, thank you,, and good morning. On the occasions when they misunderstand and start scrambling over to the right further than they need to, I often follow up with a "I have plenty of room" so they relax. You're right that timing is important, but that's true with bells as well.

I know you probably don't believe this, but I get thanked for announcing by at least one person almost every time I use a MUP.

Like I said above, I have seen plenty of times where people who use bells have to actually yell to get people to move, I have never seen someone who told people what they're doing have to resort to a bell. And nothing works against noise-cancelling headphones, so don't even go there!
I don't really mind the voice-announcers when they do so with a nice tone & not at the last second. & some of the voice-announcers are very polite, saying thank you after the pass. IME commuters, tourists & (real) racers are generally polite...it's the fitness riders who tend to be rude.
Old 08-13-19, 07:38 PM
DropBarFan

Just fyi, Atlanta ordinance makes it illegal for anyone 13 or over to ride on any sidewalk.
That's a bit surprising. Sometimes roads are dangerous & sidewalks are the better option as long as the cyclist is polite & uses reasonable caution.
Old 08-14-19, 04:39 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

That's a bit surprising. Sometimes roads are dangerous & sidewalks are the better option as long as the cyclist is polite & uses reasonable caution.
Georgia state law doesn't even have the exception for under 13 year olds. Per state law, bicycles are vehicles, no vehicles on sidewalks.

Lots of long threads on this, but most times, bicyclists are actually less safe riding on sidewalks because they're more vulnerable at intersections and driveways. There's been studies on this. Pedestrians generally hate having the bikes there, often for good reasons.
Old 08-14-19, 08:58 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Really? Most places that I'm aware of do not allow cycling on the sidewalks. Especially for adults. A bicycle is a vehicle. It belongs on the road.
Old 08-14-19, 09:02 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
What if I told you that laws vary from state to state
Old 08-14-19, 11:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ksryder
Actually, from neighborhood to neighborhood. In my city, you can ride on the sidewalk in residential but not business areas. What sidewalks there are in residential areas pretty much suck, so not much of an issue.

From what I've seen, a lot of states don't have a rule on it, leaving it to local ordinance.
Old 08-14-19, 01:06 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Was this directed at me?
Old 08-19-19, 09:57 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by OBoile
Really? Most places that I'm aware of do not allow cycling on the sidewalks. Especially for adults. A bicycle is a vehicle. It belongs on the road.
This varies a lot. DC allows bikes on sidewalks outside of Central Business District, Virginia allows except when prohibited by local ordinance; Maryland prohibits unless allowed by local ordinance. In Germany, cyclists are required to use bike paths even though the paths are often right next to the pedestrian sidewalk area. I've read that in crowded Japan, cyclists often use sidewalks due to heavy auto traffic.

I've never hit anyone riding on a sidewalk. Just this past week, DC news mentioned a teenage cyclist who was riding on a Montgomery County sidewalk & swerved to avoid trash bins but was killed by a motorist when he fell into the street. No charges to the driver, in the US it's OK to hit a biker unless the driver is blind drunk. Montgomery County is a wealthy area but many roads have high speed limits & narrow lanes so are often quite unsafe for cyclists.
Old 08-20-19, 08:07 PM
Cyclist753
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 66 Posts
There is a nice paved trail where I like to ride. 'Announcing' is a good idea but more and more people are wearing ear buds, ear phones (the ones that totally cover your ears) or listening to radios/smart phones. When you do 'announce' they don't hear and get angry when passed! I just slow down a lot, observe their 'at the moment' habits then ease around after announcing. The worst are the 'ear budded multiple dog' walkers. The dogs are all over the trail and to each side in the grass with the leash acting like a moving fence. Eventually the dogs look around causing the owner to see 'what's up'. Sheesh! It still beats riding on the road and... my excuse for their lameness is... it gives me an opportunity to sprint! lol
Old 08-21-19, 06:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Boxkite
There is a nice paved trail where I like to ride. 'Announcing' is a good idea but more and more people are wearing ear buds, ear phones (the ones that totally cover your ears) or listening to radios/smart phones. When you do 'announce' they don't hear and get angry when passed! I just slow down a lot, observe their 'at the moment' habits then ease around after announcing. The worst are the 'ear budded multiple dog' walkers. The dogs are all over the trail and to each side in the grass with the leash acting like a moving fence. Eventually the dogs look around causing the owner to see 'what's up'. Sheesh! It still beats riding on the road and... my excuse for their lameness is... it gives me an opportunity to sprint! lol
Very rarely, I will get a headphone wearer yell at me for not saying anything. "I did, twice" is my usual true response, and I don't hang around to discuss the matter further.

My version of your look and see strategy is to maximize the berth I give everyone, and if I'm going to have to close pass, I slow down to avoid it. I can wait a few seconds for the left lane to clear.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-23-19, 11:30 AM
sfh

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My spouse is a distance runner, and she always announces when on a bike. She says the runners really do appreciate the courtesy.
Yeah. I'm a distance runner, and I always announce when I'm on a bike. When I'm running, I always announce when I approach a person or a group that's walking. Always. And when I'm running and a cyclist announces, I wave to acknowledge and thank them when they go by.

Sometimes the people scatter a little, but that's not because they're stupid. It's because they were thinking about something else when I announced. That's the entire purpose of announcing. It's okay to announce you're passing AND slow down until you're sure the path is clear and safe.
Likes For sfh:
Old 08-23-19, 11:38 AM
sfh

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I've never hit anyone riding on a sidewalk.
I was hit by a cyclist while I was running on a MUP on a crowded weekend morning. The cyclist was southbound, and there was a pedestrian in front of him also southbound. I was northbound. As I passed the pedestrian (she was on her right and I was on my right), the cyclist decided at that point and no other he had to hammer down and pass her without announcing. So he went between us, and his elbow struck my shoulder. Jackass had the nerve to stop and yell at everyone like it was someone else's fault.

This is absolutely NOT an anti-cyclist post. Just that so many people (on foot, on a bike, in a car) are totally stunningly ignorant of everything going on around them.
Likes For sfh:
Old 08-23-19, 12:16 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by sfh
Yeah. I'm a distance runner, and I always announce when I'm on a bike. When I'm running, I always announce when I approach a person or a group that's walking. Always. And when I'm running and a cyclist announces, I wave to acknowledge and thank them when they go by.

Sometimes the people scatter a little, but that's not because they're stupid. It's because they were thinking about something else when I announced. That's the entire purpose of announcing. It's okay to announce you're passing AND slow down until you're sure the path is clear and safe.
I really appreciate it when walkers and runners acknowledge with a wave. That and when they hold their line and just keep going where they were going.
Old 08-23-19, 01:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm more than half-joking, and to call this a half-baked thought would be an insult to half-baked thoughts everywhere, ut maybe the real problem is that bikes are just too quiet. Is there a grown-up version of the playing card in the spokes trick one could use on MUPs? And, no, I really don't want to put anything in the spokes.
Old 08-23-19, 01:12 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I'm more than half-joking, and to call this a half-baked thought would be an insult to half-baked thoughts everywhere, ut maybe the real problem is that bikes are just too quiet. Is there a grown-up version of the playing card in the spokes trick one could use on MUPs? And, no, I really don't want to put anything in the spokes.
Chris King hubs.
Old 08-23-19, 01:30 PM
sfh

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Where I live, there's a big increase in the number of electric cars. Damn . . . those things don't make a sound . . .

But for bikes, the hornet-nest sound of high-end rear hubs drives me nuts. I much prefer a bell to an automatic noisemaker . . . but . . . yeah, a bike (especially at speed) can easily sneak up on a pedestrian.
Old 08-23-19, 01:59 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Chris King hubs.
Originally Posted by sfh
Where I live, there's a big increase in the number of electric cars. Damn . . . those things don't make a sound . . .

But for bikes, the hornet-nest sound of high-end rear hubs drives me nuts. I much prefer a bell to an automatic noisemaker . . . but . . . yeah, a bike (especially at speed) can easily sneak up on a pedestrian.
That sound has a fingernails on chalkboard effect on me as well.
Old 08-23-19, 02:58 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sputniky
I announce my presence by backpedaling briefly so my really noisy hub is even noisier than usual. Most of the time people will indicate that they know I'm there by side stepping or moving their head.

If they don't acknowledge then I'll either pass extra wide with caution (earbud zombies) or give them a "hello."

I don't see much of the drama that has been discussed by some folks.
This is what I subscribe to. I also slow down to single digits when approaching and passing. More times than not shouting within a short distance seems to startle people and they don't know which way to turn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.