Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aluminum oxidation on frame, still worth it to use?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-18-19, 08:35 AM
markdeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear all,

Recently I got a very intensively used electric bike and when I removed the chain guard I noticed the frame was subject to oxidation. Especially on the lower chain stay. I was planning to use this frame to build a normal bike since I expected it was a very nice frame to start with. However, now I'm doubting whether the strength of the lower chain stay has been effected by this oxidation. As you can see on the images that I attached, I scratched some of it off the frame, and I am planning to remove the oxidation and paint it again, but I am wondering if this still is useful with this frame, or try searching for another better frame?

i.imgur.com/k8h880L.jpg
i.imgur.com/CUYNJOU.jpg
Old 08-18-19, 09:51 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Aluminum will oxidize very quickly unless painted or protected some other way. It will not decrease the strength of the frame.
Old 08-18-19, 09:55 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
That is pretty extensive corrosion.
Old 08-18-19, 10:05 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
I don't know why one might think an AL ebike frame might be "very nice". The vast majority of those I see are simple thick walled, built for a price point constructs made with various designs to deal with the non human power and weight that aren't needed for you or I. The others are either worse or way too expensive for the first owner to just let go without some thought.

As to the corrosion: who knows from a couple of photos. But since you have the frame anyway why not go ahead with your plans and report back on your results. At worst the frame will crack/break, at best you'll get many miles of function (note I didn't say "fun"). You will want to remove the corrosion completely enough to reach clean and smooth metal, or else the cancer will return even sooner. Monitor the areas over time. I have less concerns about safety as the chain stays are still held in place by the unbroken other ends. Complete fractures in these locations generally result in some funny bike feelings and you are able to slow and stop with little drama. (Forks are a very different concern!). Andy
Old 08-19-19, 02:13 AM
markdeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I will plan to strip the frame and see if the oxidation has occurred in other places as well and if there are any cracks or other damages. With very nice I was more reflecting the geometry and the size of the frame, which is spot on for me and has been something I was looking for for some time to build a nice city bike. I don't think the quality or the construction of the frame is superb and I hoped the condition of the frame would have been better, but that's ok for me since I'm not planning to use it to make an MTB or road bike.
Old 08-19-19, 03:26 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the corrosion in the bottom bracket, might not be able to get it apart.

Old 08-19-19, 10:14 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Normal aluminum 'corrosion' is oxide a few thousands of an inch thick. What you have looks like prolonged exposure
to deicing salts on winter roads without cleaning or rinsing. Best bet is mild media sand blasting to clean the frame and
repaint, powder coat if you can justify it (they will do their own prep). Doing this by hand will entail many hours of
work.
Old 08-19-19, 11:41 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
I can't see the pictures. In general, though, aluminum corrosion is only a problem if there is some chemical or mechanical process removing the oxide layer. If it is left alone, the oxide layer is extremely thin but is actually a hard ceramic 'oxide' material that will prevent further corrosion. Each time the oxide layer rubs off it quickly forms another, taking away another thin layer of aluminum. This can be from something rubbing on the aluminum (or maybe a chain hitting it) or from some chemical process - another person mentioned chemical ice-melter - around here they put rock salt on the roads and it corrodes everything.

My advice would be to feel with your finger if there is noticeable pitting or other removal of material. If there is then I would scrap the frame - cut it up and put it in the recycling with aluminum cans. Replacement aluminum frames can be found very cheap on the internet.
Old 08-19-19, 03:48 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Aluminum can corrode severely in the presence of other metals. The best example I have seen was my Mercury Zephyr(Ford Faimont). This car had very thick(1/4") aluminum bumpers. I was once hit from behind at a stop light pretty hard with no damage to my car. Yet, after 5 years of ownership those very thick bumpers were corroded right through where the steel mounts were bolted to the fenders
Old 08-21-19, 04:40 AM
markdeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I'm planning to use the bottom bracket and the headset as well, as long as it will work. Maybe I will put another crank on it, but so far the moving parts still work ok. In the meantime I acquired another frame, with less oxidation, and I plan to use this one for a build first, but I will strip the paint of the more damaged one later and inspect the frame. Since I don't have any electrical tools at my current place for grinding and sanding it will have to wait some time, but sanding by hand I noticed it's best to do the whole frame and not only the parts that look affected in the first place.
Old 08-21-19, 03:58 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Pic assist:

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-21-19, 04:30 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Beginning to buckle? Lots of decent frames/bikes available.
Old 08-21-19, 04:30 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
Normal aluminum 'corrosion' is oxide a few thousands of an inch thick. What you have looks like prolonged exposure
to deicing salts on winter roads without cleaning or rinsing.
This is correct. Aluminium (aluminum) oxidation is self-limiting. At the same time, aluminium is easily corroded by a multitude of chemicals, both acidic and alkaline, as well as a number of salts.
Old 08-22-19, 02:17 AM
markdeman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks noglider for the pictures! The bike has indeed been exposed to a lot of rain and likely snow mixed with salt during the winters. However, some of my bikes are used during these conditions as well, with low to zero maintenance during the winter months and some are much older than this recently acquired frame. I was quite shocked when I saw the paint chipping off and the oxidation on it, never seen it to this extent. It was my plan to build a bike with leftover parts, no intention to spend any money on it haha. Since I still have some decent wheels and parts, my plan was to build a bike with a 3 or 7 speed hub to use for traveling around the city. But I will certainly take a look at this frame later and remove the paint completely to see to what depth the frame has been affected. As mentioned by others acquiring used but decent frames is possible for a limited amount of money, so if this frame seems to be too far gone I can use the one I obtained recently.
Btw, this forum is really great, so much information on it and nice users, plan to stick here around for a long time!

Last edited by markdeman; 08-22-19 at 02:39 AM.